music Shakespeare heard: The Carmans Whistle by William Byrd
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 22, 2008
(Fitzwilliam virginal Book)
high quality: http://www.vimeo.com/1218284
English composers, were the first to write real harpsichord music. This virtouso keyboard style, was liberated from the organ style. This music, secular music, mostly variations on popular tunes, but also pavanas and galliards and other dance forms, probalby could flourish because of the instable religious situation in England at that time.
The virginal was a great favorite of the English monarchs. Elizabeth of York, Catherine of Aragon, Henry VIII, Mary Tudor and Elizabeth, played this instrument.
How oft, when thou, my music, music play´st
Upon that blessed wood whose motion sounds
With thy sweet fingers, when thou gently sway´st
the wiry concord that mine ear confounds,
Do I envy those jack, that nimble leap
To kiss the tender inward of thy hand,
Whilst my poor lips, which schould that harvest reap,
At the wood´s boldness by thee blushing stand!
To be so t i c k l e d, they would change their state
And situation with those dancing chips,
O´er whom thy fingers walk with gentle gait,
Making dead wood more bless´d than living lips.
Since saucy jacks so happy are in this,
Give them thy fingers, me the lips to kiss
William Byrd (1542-1623) dominated the first generation English keyboard composers. His ability to compose superb choral music, earned him the title of the "English Palestrina". William Byrd was also the first great variation composer for keyboard. Unpreceded, took the form to a great art. No other European country as England, has so many old folks tunes. In the 16th century, many wonderful tune was composed and those tunes went abroad, for example to the Netherlands.
The carmans whistle is a composition with 7 variations and a conclusion which has the theme a little hidden in the middle voices, but gives the work a `grand finale` working.
ernst stolz virignal / harpsichord
Standard YouTube License
- 49 videos Play all YouTube Mix - music Shakespeare heard: The Carmans Whistle by William Byrd
- 2:56 Dutch music around 1600: Brabantsche Rondedansby Ernst Stolz40,144 views
- 5:43 A Fancy by William Byrd (Harpsichord)by Ernst Stolz17,151 views
- 5:12 William Byrd "the Battell" (excerpt) My Lady Nevell's Bookby Ernst Stolz22,881 views
- 4:18 Dutch Harpsichord music: Daphne (from the Camphuysen manuscript)by Ernst Stolz6,012 views
- 36 videos Play all Elizabethan Musicby LeannanStair
- 49:11 Works of William Byrd, Music from the time of Elizabeth Iby camusik9616,596 views
- 23:18 William Byrd: Mass for 4 Voices, The King's Singersby MusicaFabrizio5,720 views
- 58:58 Sacred Music Series Episode 3: Byrd & Tallis: Singing the Lord's song in a strange landby markfromireland23,415 views
- 12:22 Allegri : Miserere -Tallis Scholars ( Legendary 1980 recording) *by greatclassicrecords4,306 views
- 2:11:34 Beautiful Light Music - easy smooth inspirational - long playlist by relaxdaily: Ocean Breezeby relaxdaily4,982,098 views
- 1:20:07 William Byrd Motets and Mass Propers for Pentecost, Stile Anticoby harpsichordRB10,435 views
- 3:45 Music in the Time of Shakespeare - 17 Pavinby Everything Shakespeare713 views
- 43:04 Glenn Gould Byrde & Gibson.wmvby mightysmeagol11,915 views
- 2:04 Music in the Time of Shakespeare - 02 Kemp's Jigby Everything Shakespeare1,715 views
- 4:59 Music in the Time of Shakespeare - 01 The Earl of Essex Galiardby Everything Shakespeare7,157 views
- 3:15 Music in the Time of Shakespeare - 06 Intradaby Everything Shakespeare700 views
- 36:11 Tudor Church Music (Tallis Scholars) 01 / 02by LUDOVICUSDEOLOR11,243 views
- 1:06:52 LONG Playlist of Relaxing Soft Piano Music to Sleep and Studyby Serenity Studio10,710,001 views
- 9:41 Spem In Alium (Thomas Tallis) - Tallis Scholarsby Choral Music8,211 views
- 5:45 William Byrd's Pavana Lachrymaeby Jonathan Addleman14,678 views