A Healthy Society - Ryan Meili
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 13, 2012
Trailer for A Healthy Society - how a focus on health can revive Canadian democracy by Ryan Meili, Purich Publishing, 2012.
Video by Andreipedia http://www.youtube.com/user/andreipedia
Music Wake Me Up At The Coast - Slow Down, Molasses http://slowdownmolasses.blogspot.ca/
Find out more http://www.ryanmeili.ca http://facebook.com/healthysociety @ryanmeili #healthysociety
"The impact of the social determinants of health is well known to governments and to health care organizations. The major challenge before us lies in turning this understanding into concrete actions that have an impact on individual Canadians and communities."
Hon. Roy J. Romanow, former Saskatchewan Premier, from the foreword
Drawing on his experiences as a family physician in the inner city of Saskatoon, in Mozambique, and in rural Saskatchewan, Dr. Meili argues that health delivery too often focuses on treatment of immediate causes and ignores more fundamental conditions that lead to poor health. Income, education, employment, housing, the wider environment, and social supports: far more than the actions of physicians, nurses, and other health care providers, it is these conditions that make the greatest difference in our health. Brought to life by patient stories, A Healthy Society explores a number of specific health determinants, and ends in a discussion of democratic reforms that could help reshape the way we organize ourselves to create a truly healthy society.
Through a mix of scholarship and story, the author proposes a new approach to politics. The use of human health as a measure of our success as a society, and the application of the ideas of the social determinants of health to public policy, appeals beyond political lines to common values. By synthesizing diverse ideas into a plan for action based in the lived experiences of practitioners and patients, A Healthy Society breaks important ground in the renewal of politics toward the goal of better lives for all Canadians.
Ryan Meili is a family doctor at the West Side Community Clinic in Saskatoon and head of the Division of Social Accountability at the College of Medicine at the University of Saskatchewan.
"We know it in our hearts: poor health is intimately linked to poverty, abuse, and lack of social services. Yet in all these areas, Canada is marching steadily backward. In A Healthy Society, Ryan Meili, a practicing doctor who knows this first hand, sounds a clarion call to all Canadians. We will not have a healthy society until we put social justice and universal social security for all back at the top of our political agenda."
Maude Barlow, National Chairperson, Council of Canadians.
Standard YouTube License
- 7:58 Universal Health Care Message to Americans From Canadian Doctors & Health Care Expertsby Steve WolfsonFeatured 112,207
- 15:26 Meili's Adoption from Chinaby Julie Y 10,703 views
- 11:10 Ryan Meili Speech NDP Convention 2013by Ryan Meili 113 views
- 3:48 Ryan Meili Convention Video - 2013 Sask NDP Leadership Conventionby Ryan Meili 129 views
- 2:06 Ryan Meili Convention Walk-Up Video - 2013 Sask NDP Leadership Conventionby Ryan Meili 256 views
- 1:09:37 The Ottawa Charter & the 'new public health'.by geoff crack 664 views
- 9:56 The 5 Keys to Making $200K Selling Cars!by Tom Vann 61,997 views
- 20:07 Macedonia In NATO ? - NATO Chicago Summit 2012 ?by sRadovis 1,105 views
- 3:25 ARCHIVE - Poor Housing Causes Ill Healthby gmccardell1 1,111 views
- 1:00:47 INSIGHTS '11 - Keynote - Dennis Raphaelby SPHUofA 339 views
- 8:55 Will your NIGERIAN girlfriend marry you?by hiimamara 838 views
- 7:15 The fight for public health careby AtheistGlitch 1,544 views
- 12:46 The Culture of Poverty - Part 1by Clarity Child Guidance Center 3,620 views
- 4:25 Ecstatic Dance Evolution Houstonby binariumproductions's channel 5,093 views
- 7:32 Social Determinants of Healthby Health Care Foundation 18,725 views
- 7:22 Ryan Meili's Concession Speech 2013by Ryan Meili 31 views
- 4:22 Homelessness in Canada - Take Actionby Keepin' it FRESH 17,945 views
- 1:43 Ryan Meili - Healthby Ryan Meili 731 views
- 22:30 Selling Tips ((Starting a Craft Business))by For Your Craft Inspiration. ♥ 80,576 views
- 2:36 Healthy Girls, Healthy Womenby ywcaofcalgary's channel 1,172 views
- Loading more suggestions...