Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 30, 2010
With "Not Ever, Rape Crisis Scotland has launched Scotlands first ever TV campaign aimed at tackling women-blaming attitudes to rape. The advert was launched on Monday 28 June, and was broadcast for the first time that night during coverage of Brazil's World Cup match. It will continue to be shown over the next 9 weeks on STV, Channel 4 and Channel 5.
"Not Ever" addresses women-blaming attitudes towards rape such as claims that dressing provocatively, being drunk or flirting with men are contributory factors. Its hard-hitting approach is intended to make people stop in their tracks, and to shake out and challenge ingrained prejudices many people have towards women who have been raped.
Recent research reveals that almost one in five Scots believe a woman is partially to blame for being raped if she is wearing revealing clothing - a survey of 1,040 Scots carried out by Cello MRUK in February 2010 for the Scottish Government found that:
• 23 per cent think a woman can be at least partly responsible if she is drunk at the time of the attack
• 17 per cent thought that a woman bore some responsibility if she wore revealing clothing
• 15 per cent say there should be some burden of responsibility for rape if the women is flirting
• 8 per cent think rape can be the woman's fault if she is known to have had many sexual partners
These attitudes can make it difficult for women to speak out about being raped, because of fear of being blamed for what has happened. There are also significant concerns about the impact these attitudes might have on rape survivors' ability to access justice, in terms of attitudes which jury members might hold.
Although many people genuinely believe they wouldn't judge a rape victim by what they wear, how drunk they were, or if they had been flirting all night, they often actually do; particularly when sitting as a juror in court. Not Ever wants to prompt people to keep their judgments in check and to remember that there's only one person who is responsible for rape and it's not the victim. It doesn't matter what you wear, how many sexual partners you've had, or if you're out getting drunk with friends - no one deserves to be raped - ever.
A new campaign website has been set up to allow people to share their thoughts and seek support at www.notever.co.uk , and people can also show support for Not Ever on the campaign's Facebook page at http://bit.ly/blMIu2 .
There is also a Not Ever Twitter stream: @Not_Ever to keep people updated with the progress of the campaign.
Standard YouTube License
- 0:47 Domestic Violence Advertby soph1234xxxFeatured 74,589
- 5:36 #1 The Manic Pixie Dream Girl (Tropes vs. Women)by feministfrequency 247,853 views
- 4:31 Love storyby Talli Wahyas 97,115 views
- 4:24 Stand Up! - Don't Stand for Homophobic Bullyingby BeLonGToYouthService 1,188,758 views
- 5:43 Beyonce- Run the World (LIES)by NineteenPercent 856,105 views
- 2:38 How to trick people into thinking you're good lookingby JennaMarbles 51,794,263 views
- 10:20 #6 The Straw Feminist (Tropes vs. Women)by feministfrequency 367,394 views
- 3:47 Pete's Couch (Response to ONDCP ad)by truehigh 29,976 views
- 1:08 Live Fear Free - Domestic Abuseby welshgovernment 114,448 views
- 5:46 My Drunk Kitchen Holiday: America Day Pie Cakesby MyHarto 1,161,832 views
- 2:01 The Most Amazing Commercialby Kooldewdguy 70,861 views
- 1:31 LAS SECUESTRADAS DE CLEVELAND SUFRIERON VARIAS VIOLACIONES Y ABORTOS - 8/5/2013by GRUPO INTV 21,181 views
- 6:59 Greatest Marriage Proposal EVER!!!by MattandGinny 27,041,626 views
- 2:25 Women: Know Your Limits! Harry Enfield - BBC comedyby BBCWorldwide 1,992,756 views
- 1:15 Domestic Violence Commercial (Australian)by Thomas Evenson 629,489 views
- 0:30 SAMSUNG LeD TV amazing commercial [HD]by Robert Sandu 55,473 views
- 2:46 Women Speaking in the Church, Part 4 - I Timothy 2:11-12 by Pastor Melissa Scottby Inthebrokenplaces 8,670 views
- 8:40 Making Recovery a Realityby RapeCrisisScotland 2,740 views
- 8:44 Lady Gaga - Alejandroby LadyGagaVEVO 187,699,701 views
- 0:57 Robertson: Gays Can Change Just Like Murderers and Rapistsby RWWBlog 20,303 views
- Loading more suggestions...