Is the Dorner manhunt over
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Feb 13, 2013
Riverside, California (CNN) -- Police from around the Los Angeles area gathered to bury one of their own Wednesday while investigators worked to confirm the man blamed for killing Officer Michael Crain and three other people was dead.
A squad of bagpipers led Crain's flag-draped casket through a cordon of blue uniforms into a church in Riverside, the Los Angeles suburb where he served 11 years on the force. Investigators say he was shot and killed by Christopher Dorner, a cashiered Los Angeles cop who launched a vendetta against his old department last week.
Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said authorities have a "reasonable belief" that the body found in a burned-out cabin in the San Bernardino Mountains late Tuesday is Dorner's. But while the SWAT teams that prowled the city in search of the former Navy officer have stood down, the officers detailed to guard his potential victims remain in place.
"I think we all are breathing a sigh of relief," Villaraigosa said Wednesday. "We do believe that it is the body of Christopher Dorner, but we don't know for a certainty. And until we do, those police officers who were targeted will continue to be protected. That's the least we could do."
Authorities say Dorner launched a guerrilla war against the Los Angeles Police Department over what he considered his unfair dismissal in 2009. He's accused of killing four people -- Crain, a San Bernardino County sheriff's deputy, the daughter of a former LAPD captain and her fiance -- and wounding three other police officers since February 3.
It wasn't clear when a formal identification could be made of the charred remains found in the cabin near Big Bear Lake, about 100 miles east of Los Angeles, after a Tuesday shootout with police. Until then, "a lot of apprehension" remains in the ranks of the LAPD, Lt. Andy Neiman said.
"It's been a very trying time over the last couple of weeks for all of those involved and all those families, friends and everybody that has been touched by this incident," he said.
The fiery standoff that capped the search Tuesday came five days after Dorner's burned truck turned up on a forest road near Big Bear Lake. Officers converged on the remote area, but the trail went cold for days in a fierce blizzard. On Sunday, the San Bernardino authorities said they had scaled back the search.
Los Angeles authorities had issued a $1 million reward for Dorner's capture. Villaraigosa said it was too soon to say if anyone would be able to claim the reward.
What may have been the final act began Tuesday, when California Fish and Wildlife wardens said they spotted Dorner driving a purple Nissan down icy roads near Big Bear Lake. He was driving very close to school buses, as if using them as cover, Lt. Patrick Foy said.
No children were on the buses, he said.
The wardens, driving in two different vehicles, chased Dorner. A gun battle ensued.
One of the warden's cars was hit, and Dorner crashed his car and ran, according to authorities. He then carjacked a pickup truck.
Rick Heltebrake, a camp ranger, said he was driving when he saw the crashed purple truck -- and then something terrifying.
"Here comes this guy with a big gun, and I knew who it was right away," he told CNN affiliate KTLA. "He just came out of the snow at me with his gun at my head. He said, 'I don't want to hurt you. Just get out of the car and start walking.' "
Heltebrake said the man let him take his dog and walk away with his hands up.
"Not more than 10 seconds later, I heard a loud round of gunfire," Heltebrake said. "Ten to 20 rounds maybe. I found out later what that was all about."
Dorner fled to a nearby cabin and got into another shootout with San Bernardino County deputies, killing one and wounding another.
San Bernardino County Sheriff John McMahon told reporters Tuesday the other deputy was in surgery, "but he should be fine."
Some of the firefight between police and the gunman was captured live on the telephone of a reporter for CNN affiliates KCBS and KCAL. Police in Los Angeles listened live over police scanners broadcast on the Internet, Neiman said.
"It was horrifying to listen to that firefight," he told reporters.
The cabin caught fire when police tossed smoke devices inside, a law enforcement source told CNN. The intense fire burned for hours as authorities waited at a distance.
After initially saying that no body had been found, sheriff's investigators finally confirmed overnight that they had found charred human remains in the ashes.
The department said it would work to identify the remains, but it could take a while.
Devices such as flash-bang grenades and tear gas canisters designed to disorient and disable suspects can cause fires, CNN contributor Tom Fuentes, a former FBI assistant director, said Wednesday.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:27:55 Christopher Dorner Manifesto Audiobook Read Aloudby areuter7277,374 views
- 13:50 The REAL Chris Dorner : 'TRUTH TELLER' Says Friendby SanfordWatch15,469 views
- 9:08 Chris Dorner Cover-up | Think Tankby breakingtheset42,217 views
- 7:31 Dorner cornered and barricaded near Big Bear Time on authorities sideby TheNewsthatmatters1180 views
- 5:13 Christopher Dorner Death Photos for Saleby GettingLifeRight31,603 views
- 4:54 Christopher Dorner The Truthby MRMEDIA71841,780 views
- 3:22 Blade Runner charged with murderby TheNewsthatmatters1243 views
- 2:16 Dorner garners support on social mediaby TheNewsthatmatters1159 views
- 8:55 Were Dorner's Complaints Legitimate? Who Burned the Cabin?by The Young Turks66,730 views
- 11:13 LAPD Press Briefing_ Body Found But No ID, Tactical Alert Stand Down Order & New Infoby MrCensorMe160 views
- 24:54 Christopher Dorner's Manifesto ft. Anthony Lee & Lawrence Kaoby JustKiddingNews143,193 views
- 8:50 Police Chase - Riverside, CA Parolee - Feb 26, 2013by LocalNewsVideo449,690 views
- 8:54 Christopher Dorner Ex-Cop Southern California Manhunt, Revenge Killings (1 Man War on LAPD)by george4title
- 4:12 Kelly Family - Cover The Road (Over The Hump VHS)by dern8431,988 views
- 3:44 Mountain Road: Insane Bus Driver [1080HD]by honda ukimaro509,343 views
- 5:24 First Due Working House Fire (Two Houses) Engine Responseby Baker Mills538,474 views
- 2:48 21-Year-Old with 10 Kids on Judge Judyby Courpastruce617,903 views
- 5:17 Christopher Dorner LAPD Burn Down Cabin "PLAN BURN" (OFFICIAL SCANNER REC)by Christopher Dorner8,924 views
- 4:24 Kelly Family - COVER THE ROAD 1996 (Stadion Tour)by QuiekerKanal40,392 views
- 2:27 Crime Blotter Extra: The latest on the Dorner Manhuntby The Press-Enterprise233 views
- Loading more suggestions...