WIFE 22 by Melanie Gideon
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 10, 2012
For fans of Helen Fielding's Bridget Jones's Diary and Allison Pearson's I Don't Know How She Does It comes an irresistible novel of a woman losing herself . . . and finding herself again . . . in the middle of her life.
Maybe it was those extra five pounds I'd gained. Maybe it was because I was about to turn the same age my mother was when I lost her. Maybe it was because after almost twenty years of marriage my husband and I seemed to be running out of things to say to each other.
But when the anonymous online study called "Marriage in the 21st Century" showed up in my inbox, I had no idea how profoundly it would change my life. It wasn't long before I was assigned both a pseudonym (Wife 22) and a caseworker (Researcher 101).
And, just like that, I found myself answering questions.
7. Sometimes I tell him he's snoring when he's not snoring so he'll sleep in the guest room and I can have the bed all to myself.
61. Chet Baker on the tape player. He was cutting peppers for the salad. I looked at those hands and thought, I am going to have this man's children.
67. To not want what you don't have. What you can't have. What you shouldn't have.
32. That if we weren't careful, it was possible to forget one another.
Before the study, my life was an endless blur of school lunches and doctor's appointments, family dinners, budgets, and trying to discern the fastest-moving line at the grocery store. I was Alice Buckle: spouse of William and mother to Zoe and Peter, drama teacher and Facebook chatter, downloader of memories and Googler of solutions.
But these days, I'm also Wife 22. And somehow, my anonymous correspondence with Researcher 101 has taken an unexpectedly personal turn. Soon, I'll have to make a decision—one that will affect my family, my marriage, my whole life. But at the moment, I'm too busy answering questions.
As it turns out, confession can be a very powerful aphrodisiac.
Standard YouTube License
- 2:00 UNBROKEN by Laura Hillenbrandby Random House Publishing GroupFeatured 120,448
- 3:25 How the goverment got you to eat more cheese - from Salt Sugar Fat by Michael Mossby rhpubgroup 8,598 views
- 2:09 Excerpts from Paris in Love by Eloisa Jamesby rhpubgroup 1,574 views
- 1:34 The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walkerby rhpubgroup 11,783 views
- 7:15 Ending Emotional Abuseby David Hawkins 850 views
- 11:01 Melanie Gideon: Office Hours with Google Playby googleplay 1,957 views
- 4:59 Navy Wife Tells Her Husband (who is at sea) That She Is Pregnant!by arschindler13 15,176 views
- 2:27 ONLY ON FOX: George Jones' Widow Talks About Final Moments with her Husbandby foxnashville 49,268 views
- 7:03 Steve Harvey - Should a wife take her husband's last name?by Steve Harvey 18,567 views
- 1:49 Lady Macbeth, A Novel by Susan Fraser King - Book Trailerby crownbooks 597 views
- 10:27 Melanie Gideon on "The Slippery Year"by Knopfdoubleday 1,144 views
- 1:12 Tim Minchin - Matilda The Musical - New London Trailerby BestOfTimMinchin 31,566 views
- 4:46 Vavamuffin Serceby Anka333 297,782 views
- 0:55 The Proposal by Mary Balogh (Official Book Trailer)by rhpubgroup 1,347 views
- 5:06 2011.12.18 Legacy亂彈阿翔-尋找by doublewakin 9,960 views
- 42:18 FOUR WEDDINGS And A Thousand Cranes: season 4by Valentina Gk 6,955 views
- 3:29 Danny Boyle winning the Oscar® for Directingby Oscars 45,339 views
- 2:39 Mackenzie Crook reading from The Windvale Spritesby faberandfaber 295 views
- 3:05 Dancing to Husband or Wife- Nawlageby Lynette Marie 5,954,696 views
- 1:00 Chariots Of Fire in the West End (Trailer)by westendtheatrevideos 15,794 views
- Loading more suggestions...