1959 First EVER Barbie Commercial
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on May 21, 2007
This is the first Barbie commercial that first aired during Mickey Mouse Club!
Ruth Handler watched her daughter Barbara at play with paper dolls, and noticed that she often enjoyed giving them adult roles. At the time, most children's toy dolls were representations of infants. Realizing that there could be a gap in the market, Handler suggested the idea of an adult-bodied doll to her husband Elliot, a co-founder of the Mattel toy company. He was unenthusiastic about the idea, as were Mattel's directors.
During a trip to Europe in 1956 with her children Barbara and Kenneth, Ruth Handler came across a German toy doll called Bild Lilli. The adult-figured Lilli doll was like what Handler had in mind, so she purchased three of them. She gave one to her daughter and took the others back to Mattel. The Lilli doll was based on a popular character appearing in a comic strip drawn by Reinhard Beuthin for the newspaper Die Bild-Zeitung.
Upon her return to the United States, Handler reworked the design of the doll (with help from engineer Jack Ryan) and the doll was given a name, Barbie, after Handler's daughter Barbara. The doll made its debut at the American International Toy Fair in New York on March 9, 1959. This date is also used as Barbie's official birthday. Mattel acquired the rights to the Bild Lilli doll in 1964 and production of Lilli was stopped. The first Barbie doll wore a black and white zebra striped swimsuit and signature topknot ponytail, and was available as either a blonde or brunette. The doll was marketed as a "Teen-age Fashion Model," with her clothes created by Mattel fashion designer Charlotte Johnson. The first Barbie dolls were manufactured in Japan, with their clothes hand-stitched by Japanese homeworkers. Around 350,000 Barbie dolls were sold during the first year of production.
Barbie was one of the first toys to have a marketing strategy based extensively on television advertising, which has been copied widely by other toys. It is estimated that over a billion Barbie dolls have been sold worldwide in over 150 countries, with the well-known fact that three Barbie dolls are sold every second.
The standard range of Barbie dolls and related accessories are manufactured to approximately 1/6th scale, which is also known as playscale.
Barbie products include not only the range of dolls with their clothes and accessories, but also a huge range of Barbie branded goods such as books, fashion items and video games. Barbie has appeared in a series of animated films and makes a brief guest appearance in the 1999 film Toy Story 2.
Uniquely for a toy fashion doll, Barbie has become a cultural icon and has been given honors that are rare in the toy world. In 1974 a section of Times Square in New York City was renamed Barbie Boulevard for a week, while in 1985 the artist Andy Warhol created a painting of Barbie.
Barbie's full name is Barbara Millicent Roberts. In a series of novels published by Random House in the 1960s, her parents' names are given as George and Margaret Roberts from the fictional town of Willows, Wisconsin. Barbie has been said to attend Willows High School and Manhattan International High School in New York City, based on the real-life Stuyvesant High School.
Today the Barbie line is responsible for more than 80% of Mattel's profits.
Standard YouTube License
- 5:32 SareMinz: A Typical Day For Barbieby SareMinzFeatured 6,428,666
- 3:20 Barbie Life in the Dreamhouse United States Licensed to Driveby LifeInTheDreamhouse 6,219,556 views
- Dannii'z Channel =) 3 videos992
- 0:30 Very Disturbing Advertby AlphabetHerbie 856,875 views
- 0:19 Little Mermaid SIMBA Dolls Commercialby MermaidZone 776,724 views
- 5:33 Barbie and Ricky- Moving to a New Houseby emmy3791067 6,404,284 views
- 3:17 BARBIE GIRL - (The original) Fashion Fairytale & Toy Story 3by ThenewAstralgirl 17,477,920 views
- 80 videos Play all barbie dolls.80's etcby mandm4evah
- 0:31 Creepiest Commercial Everby statman16 2,077,165 views
- 1:35 Shocking 1950's Commercial!by tvp33 3,430,115 views
- 2:33 Barbie and Ricky go to the Poolby emmy3791067 20,238,790 views
- 0:13 The Worst Barbie Commercial Ever!!!by bnfs 460,801 views
- 2:27 Barbie Gets Hacked!by kipkay 3,112,379 views
- 3:28 I RIPPED UP MY NAIL!!!by KlairedelysArt 13,346,301 views
- 0:48 New Stay at Home Barbie!by GRAMcrakahs 4,404,551 views
- 3:15 Barbie girl - Dominika Myslivcová (Kelly Key - Sou a Barbie Girl )by Dominika Myslivcová 16,261,137 views
- 1:27 Toxic Toys: A Poisonous Affairby AmericasFuture 6,539,782 views
- 1:28 Barbie Fashionistas Barbie'Woman 2010 clipby Playmobilville 97,365 views
- 0:36 2011º BARBIE™ A FAIRY SECRET 2 -in- 1 Dolls Commercialby worldstoys 1,339,047 views
- 3:02 Barbie's Houseby neighbay 11,987,301 views
- 1:00 Ken and Barbieby dazedboyone 2,956,458 views
- 4:12 Is It A Good Idea To Microwave A Barbie Doll?by JPizzle1122 565,002 views
- Loading more suggestions...