This video is unavailable.
NYCHA and the Hurricane: Public Housing Learns from Sandy | The New School for Public Engagement
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Feb 14, 2013
New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) and the Hurricane: Public housing learns from Sandy... What's the plan for the next big storm?
The wrenching experience of thousands of New York's public housing residents following Hurricane Sandy revealed vulnerabilities of physical structures and human services. Volunteers, tenant associations, social service providers and NYCHA technicians all stepped in to do what they could through the worst of the aftermath. What did we learn? What about next time? What will a carefully planned and managed disaster response look like in New York City's low-lying, low-income neighborhoods?
Study non-profit management, urban and environmental policy, human resources, and international affairs at the Milano School of International Affairs, Management, and Urban Policy, a part of The New School in New York City. Milano School of International Affairs, Management, and Urban Policy | http://www.newschool.edu/milano
A conversation with:
John Rhea, chairman, New York City Housing Authority (NYHCA)
Wally Bazemore, Red Hook community organizer
Jennifer Jones Austin, executive director, Federation of Protestant Welfare Agencies
Eric Klinenberg, professor of sociology, NYU and New Yorker contributor
Constantine Kontokosta, founding director, NYU Center for the Sustainable Built Environment
Andrew White, director, Center for New York City Affairs at The New School
Presented by the Center for New York City Affairs | http://newschool.edu/milano/nycaffairs
The Center's public policy forums are made possible thanks to the generous support of the Milano Foundation.
Location: Theresa Lang Community and Student Center, Arnhold Hall
02/12/2013 8:30 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:28:31 Art Work: An Evening with Douglas Dunn | Eugene Lang Collegeby thenewschoolnyc 133 views
- 1:12:23 Bloomberg and the Mayoralty | The New Schoolby thenewschoolnyc 361 views
- 1:42:06 Economics and Occupy Wall Street: Solutions from The Occupy Handbook | The New Schoolby thenewschoolnyc 2,735 views
- 1:41:56 Working Families and the Economy | The New School for Public Engagementby thenewschoolnyc 323 views
- 12:04 SANDY STORIES - Story #1 - The Maida Familyby SandyStories 385 views
- 1:39:36 Watch President Obama Deliver the 2013 State of the Union Addressby PBSNewsHour 62,872 views
- 29:10 Welcome Home DeKalb - Episode 2by DeKalbCountyGov 344 views
- 9:57 Part 1 - Chicago Housing Authority - The Plan at 10by StrategicVideoAwards 1,996 views
- 1:27:31 Improbable Scholars: What Union City Can Teach New York City | The New School for Public Engagementby thenewschoolnyc 96 views
- 1:47:31 Families, Security and Immigrant Rights | The New School for Public Engagementby thenewschoolnyc 525 views
- 2:41 Encompass Customer "After the Storm"by Encompass Insurance 457 views
- 1:53:27 Urban Policy in an Era of Fiscal Austerity | The New School for Public Engagementby thenewschoolnyc 395 views
- 1:47:52 Lessons from the Economic Crisis | The New Schoolby thenewschoolnyc 2,604 views
- 1:18:01 Life After Sandy: Adapting To The New Normalby nyu 154 views
- 1:48:10 DREAM Activists and the Immigrant Rights Movement | The New School for Public Engagementby thenewschoolnyc 628 views
- 1:00:05 Obama's 2013 State of the Union - Full speech- HD videoby UpTakeVideo 3,402 views
- 1:53:09 Marijuana, Law Enforcement and Young New Yorkers | The New Schoolby thenewschoolnyc 929 views
- 1:58:05 The Just City: Equality, Social Justice and Growth | The New Schoolby thenewschoolnyc 2,974 views
- 1:49:15 Race and the Subprime Crisis: The Future of Minority Neighborhoods | The New Schoolby thenewschoolnyc 902 views
- 1:52:50 A Need for Correction: Reforming New York's Juvenile Justice System | The New Schoolby thenewschoolnyc 1,998 views
- Loading more suggestions...