This video is unavailable.
euronews cinema - A master class in Marrakesh
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Dec 6, 2012
http://www.euronews.com/ This year's President of the Jury at the Marrakesh Film Festival was John Boorman, the British director, screenwriter and producer who is a connoisseur of world cinema.
So what is he looking for in the films shown at the festival?
"Personally I'm looking always in the festival for originality, experimentation; after all you can see normal standard cinema every day in the cinemas but when you go to a festival you expect to look and see perhaps new ways of making films, new ways of looking at things. And of course the great thing is that you see films from all over the world and you get an insight into life in those country. I mean we have films from Taiwan, from India and from the Czech Republic," he said.
Euronews correspondent at the festival, Kawtar Wakil said: "Away from the competition, the master class which is held every year is a major attraction. It offers people a unique opportunity to share the best practices and processes of some of the greatest directors in the world."
Darren Aronofsky, the American director of such blockbuster movies as 'Requiem for a Dream' and 'Black Swan', hosted one of the master classes.
In the audience for that event was student Pascale Marine. "The master class offered me a lot. I learned about many aspects of the industry - writing, directing, everything that happens in a film. It is important for me because I love movies," she said.
Students and movie buffs packed the master class listening intently to the panel of experts. Jean Pascal Montero, a French college lecturer, was among them.
"I have come with a class from a college in the Lyon region where they specialise in films. They have worked for a year to finance their trip to Marrakech. They are living the dream coming to the festival, and attending the master class for them is huge and for me listening to Mendoza talking about the cinema was just something else."
This year the Festival paid tribute to a Moroccan producer, Abouobayd Karim. He is the CEO of Dune Films, the leading English production company of films and television programmes in Morocco.
"It is a pleasure to be here and it gives me great satisfaction to have my work recognised by Moroccan producers. Domestic production I can tell you is in good shape when you consider we have between 20 and 30 films," Karim said.
In the presence of personalities from the world of the cinema the Moroccan producer received a standing ovation when he was presented with his award.
Find us on:
Next in euronews cinema: Season 2 Episodes
- 3:37 euronews cinema - Marrakesh marks 12th international film festivalby Euronews 828 views
- 2:31 euronews cinema - Asterix and Obelix head for Britainby Euronews 30,983 views
- 0:53 Jordan king in Palestinian morale boost visit to West Bankby Euronews 568 views
- 1:56:08 Gad Elmaleh spectacle complet HDby MattyBRaps Channel 9,171 views
- 5:59 Jamaa El Fana Shah Rukh Khan Festival Marrakesh 2012by bouch elbatal 1,269 views
- 6:08 Marrakech Du Rire 2013: Capsule du Vendredi 07 Juinby 2MTV 10,529 views
- 5:24 Marrakech Du Rire 2013: Capsule du Samedi 08 Juinby 2MTV 8,923 views
- 2:01:34 Gad Elmaleh Papa est en hautby Abdullah Riaz 45,696 views
- 37:37 Gad Elmaleh ce soir avec Arthurby SOUKA B 6,236 views
- 11:25 Marrakech du Rire 2éme Edition 2012 // Gad Elmaleh * Jamal Debbouzeby MILOUDI MOHAMED 6,934 views
- 5:37 Marrakech Du Rire 2013: Capsule du Jeudi 06 Juinby 2MTV 30,743 views
- 2:21 Festival: Marrakech du rire 2011by 2MTV 182,625 views
- 2:20 Bollywood Rules At Marrakech Film Festival (ANI)by mhzworldview 553 views
- 2:16:53 Master Class (2012) by Gérard Courantby Gérard Courant 459 views
- 2:45 Shah Rukh Khan at the Marrakech international film festivalby srksalma 1,707 views
- 2:15 Le festival de Marrakech honore Bollywoodby Alqarra Tv 2,801 views
- 5:49 Mallika Sherawat in Morocco 30-11-2012by learningfever 988 views
- 1:31 Shahrukh Khan op het Filmfestival van Marrakechby Bladna Nl 1,129 views
- 1:28 Scorsese Calls Pi Director "Disturbing"by NTDTV 980 views