This video is unavailable.
"The Dear Companion", Lissa Schneckenburger & Bethany Waickman
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Oct 25, 2012
"The Dear Companion", performed by Lissa Schneckenburger (www.lissafiddle.com) and Bethany Waickman in concert at the Institute of Musical Traditions (www.imtfolk.org), Rockville, Maryland, USA on October 10, 2012.
Fiddler and singer Lissa Schneckenburger is a winsome, sweet-voiced singer who brings new life to old ballads and a skillful, dynamic fiddler who captures the driving rhythm and carefree joy of dance tunes old and new.
Raised in a small town in Maine and now living in Vermont, Lissa grew up with music. She began playing fiddle at the age of six, inspired by her mother's interest in folk music and a family friend who was a professional violinist. Soon she was studying with influential Maine fiddler Greg Boardman and sitting in with the Maine Country Dance Orchestra. By the time she was in high school she was playing concerts on her own, specializing in the sprightly New England dance tunes that combine influences from the British Isles and Quebec with homegrown twists that have been evolving since Colonial days.
Another of her major influences was the diverse musical community that she found at fiddle camps, where she had a chance to play with and learn from a wide variety of musicians including noted Scottish fiddler Alasdair Fraser. In 2001 she graduated from the New England Conservatory of Music with a degree in contemporary improvisation, and since then has been performing around the US and internationally for a growing audience of enthusiastic listeners. She has recorded eight CDs, (five solo and three with various groups).
Sound: Dave Eisner, Dave Richardson, Jim Ralph
Camera: Dick Tufts, Jim Ralph, Ralph Lillie
Editing: Ralph Lillie
© 2012, Institute of Musical Traditions
Standard YouTube License
- 18:47 Natalie MacMaster: Playing the Cape Breton fiddleby TEDtalksDirector 295,618 views
- 4:20 "Reel de Montreal", "Bay of Fundy" & "Bow on the Strings", Lissa Schneckenburger & Bethany Waickmanby imtfolk 1,316 views
- 19:53 Three Fiddles - The Time Jumpers Fiddle Sectionby The National Fiddler Hall of Fame 4,843 views
- 9:57 Lissa Schneckenburger, singing with fiddle accompanimentby bobchildsplay 8,923 views
- 5:39 "Muireann's Jig" Cillian & Niall Vallely with Alan Murrayby imtfolk 4,071 views
- 4:51 "Richmond", The Bee Eaters with Bruce Molskyby imtfolk 441 views
- 7:13 "No Longer Mourn for Me" & "Culloden", Ensemble Galileiby imtfolk 408 views
- 5:21 Red June - Soul's Repairby Red June 8,045 views
- 5:49 "Angus Young's Fancy", Old Blind Dogsby imtfolk 626 views
- 3:33 Lamplighter's Hornpipe / Suffer the Child, performed by Lissa Schneckenburgerby imtfolk 1,188 views
- 11:41 Jean Ritchie 1998 Folk Alliance International Lifetime Achievement Award Recipientby FolkAlliance 1,044 views
- 3:40 The Begley Family from www.tunesinthechurch.comby TunesintheChurch 4,984 views
- 6:46 Garnet Rogers - Field Behind the Plow - Thunder Bay 05/25/2012by Jari Lankimaki 2,856 views
- 5:14 "Sleepy Desert", Rayna Gellert & Kristin Andreassenby imtfolk 105 views
- 5:20 "Small Victory", Garnet Rogersby imtfolk 1,045 views
- 3:31 "Kitchen Muse", Lily Henley & Friendsby imtfolk 237 views
- 2:05 9 Year Old Fiddler - Mikayla Roach - Orange Blossom Specialby Donald Roach 738,452 views
- 3:38 Lissa Schneckenburger "A Maid on the Shore"by Shawn Henderson 572 views
- 4:31 "Take Your Burden to the Lord and Leave it There", Rayna Gellert & Kristin Andreassenby imtfolk 283 views
- 3:13 Abigail Washburn and Kai Welch 2012-08-04 Divine Bellby tapermark 207 views
- Loading more suggestions...