Isao Hashimoto 2053 nuclear explosions 1945-1998
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 20, 2011
Japanese artist Isao Hashimoto has created a beautiful, undeniably scary time-lapse map of the 2053 nuclear explosions which have taken place between 1945 and 1998, beginning with the Manhattan Project's "Trinity" test near Los Alamos and concluding with Pakistan's nuclear tests in May of 1998. This leaves out North Korea's two alleged nuclear tests in this past decade (the legitimacy of both of which is not 100% clear).
Each nation gets a blip and a flashing dot on the map whenever they detonate a nuclear weapon, with a running tally kept on the top and bottom bars of the screen. Hashimoto, who began the project in 2003, says that he created it with the goal of showing"the fear and folly of nuclear weapons." It starts really slow — if you want to see real action, skip ahead to 1962 or so — but the buildup becomes overwhelming.
"2053" - This is the number of nuclear explosions conducted in various parts of the globe.*
Profile of the artist: Isao HASHIMOTO
Born in Kumamoto prefecture, Japan in 1959.
Worked for 17 years in financial industry as a foreign exchange dealer. Studied at Department of Arts, Policy and Management of Musashino Art University, Tokyo.
Currently working for Lalique Museum, Hakone, Japan as a curator.
Created artwork series expressing, in the artist's view, "the fear and the folly of nuclear weapons":
"1945-1998" © 2003
"The Names of Experiments"
About "1945-1998" ©2003
"This piece of work is a bird's eye view of the history by scaling down a month length of time into one second. No letter is used for equal messaging to all viewers without language barrier. The blinking light, sound and the numbers on the world map show when, where and how many experiments each country have conducted. I created this work for the means of an interface to the people who are yet to know of the extremely grave, but present problem of the world."
* The number excludes both tests by North Korea (October 2006 and May 2009)
Contact the artist:
Should you have any query regarding this artwork, please contact e-mail address below:
Standard YouTube License
- 8:32 Hiroshima Nuclear (atomic) Bomb - USA attack on Japan (1945)by historygemsFeatured 1,534,333
- 14:25 A Time-Lapse Map of Every Nuclear Explosion Since 1945 - by Isao Hashimotoby aConcernedHuman 2,755,452 views
- 5:45 Nuclear Explosion Timeline - From 1945 to 1998 (2053 Warheads).by RevolutionistsUnited 2,043 views
- 4:32 wormwood express 21 around the sun July 14-21 2011 HDby pencriz 938 views
- 3:10 FFWD2011 - pencriz channel 2011 highlights in around 3 minutesby pencriz 917 views
- 32 videos Play all Nuclear Weapons Historyby l8tbraker
- 11:25 Japanese Weapons of WWII (3/3)by WarDocumentary 7,952 views
- 2:00 Worlds Largest Nuke Explosionby watnoudan888 56,875 views
- 14:25 Nuclear Testing 1945 - 1998 Complete Video HDby TitusFlavius79 192,467 views
- 9:46 Unedited footage of underground nuclear bomb blastby helmi derbali 9,307 views
- 4:45 Atomic Bomb Test on human subjectsby VintageFilms7 1,287,515 views
- 2:47 The worlds largest NON-Nuclear Explosion EVERby Infokrieger696 414,912 views
- 7:39 world top 10 military power 1/2by Ricardo Andrade 639,823 views
- 0:46 HD The biggest underground nuclear test Project Canninkin 1971 uncut footage hydrogen bomb 5MTby azer3196 45,952 views
- 3:52 sunlions 2011 - par he lion - green, gold and red crescentby pencriz 379 views
- 1:35 Shocking 1950's Commercial!by tvp33 3,430,115 views
- 15:02 m20 aquila the true nature of the universe is being hidden from youby pencriz 148 views
- 14:47 Civilization V - Episode 9, part 1 - Russia vs Japan & Mongoliaby Hi-Def GAMING 48,501 views
- 13:10 Atomic Test Film: "Operation Teapot " pt1-3 1955 USAFby Jeff Quitney 20,363 views
- 3:25 1000 Years of War Casualties in 3 Minutesby crazybrity 159,299 views
- 10:01 2053 Nukes from 1945-1998 "Each one Named"by 122112DDay 1,954 views
- Loading more suggestions...