Thanks Rupert Murdoch, but Australians can choose their own government.
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Aug 27, 2013
Get this: the TV networks are refusing to put GetUp members' ad on the air. Channel 7 refused outright on the grounds that it was "distasteful", while Channel Ten and Channel Nine have told us directly that they won't continue running the ad because it criticises Rupert Murdoch.
And in a really bizarre twist of events, Channel 9 withdrew the approved ad from broadcast after having accepted payment for the ad spots, and haven't confirmed they'll refund the money.
They're giving Murdoch a free pass while censoring our free speech. We won't let that stop us though. Can you help us make sure as many Australians watch this ad as possible? It's already been seen by more than 200,000 Australians online - like & SHARE this to keep it growing!
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
To support this campaign go to: http://www.getup.org.au/you-decide-th...
Murdoch may have given up his right to vote in Australia's election, but he hasn't given up using his power to influence yours.
The Gosford Anglican Church's sign perhaps said it best: "Thanks Rupert, but we'll choose our own Government."
They're supported by the Australian Press Council who issued a warning to newspapers this week, saying "a paper's editorial viewpoints and its advocacy of them must be kept separate from its news columns."*
News Corp employs some of the best journalists in the country, and until recently, The Courier-Mail in particular has been a reasonably balanced newspaper. But during this election campaign, News Corp Australia have consistently used the front pages of The Courier-Mail and The Daily Telegraph to launch aggressive political campaigns against one side of politics**, while failing to scrutinise the other.
The Murdoch-owned News Corp publications account for 65% of national and metropolitan daily newspaper circulation***. In Brisbane, home to more marginal seats than anywhere in the country, The Courier-Mail is the only state-wide daily newspaper available. What's more, News Corp have been turning their front pages into huge political ads, installing them as bus-shelter and outdoor advertisements in key electorates.
We expect news from our newspapers. We expect to hear from journalists reporting the facts fearlessly, not from editors who have been flown in to run an attack-dog political campaign.
Let's send a message loud and clear: Australian voters decide this election, not Mr Murdoch: www.getup.org.au/you-decide-this-electio
 Australian press watchdog chides Murdoch media, Reuters. 27th August 2013.
 Murdoch's election coverage 'insult to Australians', SMH. 26th August 2013.
 FactCheck: does Murdoch own 70% of newspapers in Australia? 8th August 2013.
Standard YouTube License
- 3:11 Tony Abbott's quotes 2013by getupaustralia161,441 views
- 1:56 It's time.by getupaustralia12,021,627 views
- 14:55 GetUp Live! - Sam Mclean - Monday 19 August 2013by getupaustralia1,439 views
- 2:11 The curious case of Australia's rising power billsby getupaustralia8,283 views
- 48:39 《对话》20110626 默多克邓文迪夫妇Murdoch's wife Wendi Deng全球首次携手亮相荧屏-真的走到尽头了吗？by 对话官方频道 | Dialogue official channel31,223 views
- 46:01 20130807 《档案》邓文迪与默多克Rupert Murdoch轰动世界的离婚背后 HD高清by 档案官方频道 BTV Dang An Official Channel20,226 views
- 4:34 Tony Abbott Goes Full Retardby therighttoremain152,364 views
- 4:31 10 Angry Goalkeepersby roosvelt198411,083,833 views
- 10:30 Rupert Murdoch tape reveals media mogul's contempt for policeby Channel 4 News42,802 views
- 11:04 Thank You God - Tim Minchinby Tim Minchin938,287 views
- 7:10 Julian Assange grills Julia Gillard on live televisionby joycelowenstein455,581 views
- 42:47 Poverty in Australia (ABC Documentary)by CooIDocumentaries32,102 views
- 1:17:22 Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch's War on Journalismby unclemontie126,244 views
- 9:38 Australia: a place, a sensation (part 1/3)by New Atlantis Full Documentaries755,593 views
- 22:50 Australia's Border security 17th march 2013by alp yag293,279 views
- 134 videos Play all Election ads 1952 to 2008by OrrvilleOSUfan
- 2:12 Jimmy Carr challenges God AND makes Stephen Fry lose it (An unaired QI nugget)by Vidar Solaas562,394 views
- 8:05 The Best VINES of 2013 Compilation! (77 VINES!)by VineCompilations26,424,704 views
- 5:22 The Daily Show: John Oliver Investigates Gun Control in Australia - Part 1by Comedy Central816,079 views
- 3:11 The Difference Between Wogs & Aussies: TRADIESby superwog11,214,229 views