How to Make a Spectroscope
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 6, 2011
See what you can learn on the go with the new Howcast App for iPhone and iPad: http://bit.ly/11ZmFOu
Watch more How to Do Fun Tech & Science Projects videos: http://www.howcast.com/guides/570-How...
Subscribe to Howcast's YouTube Channel - http://bit.ly/uLaHRS
If you're itching to discover the wonders of the world around you, this guide will have you gazing at the unique spectrum fingerprint of each element right at home.
Howcast uploads the highest quality how-to videos daily! Be sure to check out our playlists for guides that interest you: http://bit.ly/ytmainplaylists
Subscribe to Howcast's other YouTube Channels:
Howcast Dance & Entertainment Channel - http://bit.ly/vmB86i
Howcast Family Channel - http://bit.ly/16dz9oH
Howcast Food & Drink Channel - http://bit.ly/umBoJX
Howcast Personal Care & Style Channel - http://bit.ly/vbbNt3
Howcast Sports & Fitness Channel - http://bit.ly/vKjUjm
Howcast Tech Channel - http://bit.ly/rx9FwR
Howcast Video Games Channel - http://bit.ly/tYKKrk
Howcast empowers people with engaging, useful how-to information wherever, whenever they need to know how. Emphasizing high-quality instructional videos, Howcast brings you experts who provide accurate information in easy-to-follow tutorials on everything from makeup, hairstyling, nail art design, and soccer to parkour, skateboarding, dancing, kissing, and much, much more.
Always use caution when using a utility knife and have an adult help if needed.
Step 1: Trace the viewing port location
Place the CD or DVD outside the box against one side about 1/2 inch from the bottom. Trace the small spindle hole in the middle with a black marker -- this is the height of the viewing port.
A tall shoe box will work as long as it is taller than the disc.
Step 2: Finish the viewing port
Trace the toilet paper tube circle over the CD spindle hole, move the tube over 1/2 inch and trace another circle. Connect both circles to make an oval and cut out the shape using a utility knife.
Step 3: Tape toilet paper tube
Tape the toilet paper tube halfway through the port at a 60 degree angle using plain cellophane tape and a protractor. Seal around the tube with aluminum tape or tin foil and glue to block out all light.
Paint the inside of the box black for better viewing.
Step 4: Cut out the light slit
Turn the box a quarter turn counterclockwise and use the CD to measure another hole. Cut out a small slit through the circle 1/2 inch wide and 2 inches tall.
Step 5: Tape the razor blades together
Tape both razor blades together on the box so their sharp edges almost touch. Make a very small sliver of light through the slit cut in the box.
If the light is too dim, your blades are too close; if the spectra is blurry, your blades are too far apart.
Step 6: Tape the disc inside the box
Tape the CD or DVD inside the box opposite the razor blade slit with the rainbow or prism side out. Try to offset the CD from the box wall the same distance as your razor blades.
Step 7: Seal box
Seal the box completely using aluminum tape, or foil and glue. Peer through the toilet paper tube, point the razor blades at a light source, and gaze at the color spectrum of the world around you.
Did You Know?
Astronomers use powerful spectroscopes and computers to study the composition of stars and planets millions of light years away from Earth.
Standard YouTube License
- 8:04 How to do Super Cool Light-Bending Prism Photosby DigitalRev TV Featured 327,635
- 2:22 How to Take Photos of Foodby Howcast5,089 views
- 1:09 How to Whistle with Your Fingersby Howcast3,149,299 views
- 5:08 How to Do the Soulja Boy | Hip-Hop Danceby Howcast1,175,194 views
- 2:07 How to Make a Metal Detectorby Howcast1,213,548 views
- 45:29 THE INVISIBLE MACHINE - ELECTROMAGNETIC WARFAREby LegionAreWe38,469 views
- 36:53 Spectrum Techniques Universal Computer Spectrometer UCS30 - A Review and Overviewby antiprotons705 views
- 4:00 Make your own CD spectrometerby labcameraaction19,302 views
- 55 videos Play all Artby shadowpixxi
- 8:24 Using the dichroscopeby Starla Turner4,340 views
- 1:12 Make your own Spectroscopeby Crown Delorean63,281 views
- 34:15 Electromagnetic Spectrum Basicsby NewGuardNetwork209,190 views
- 32:07 Tour of the Electromagnetic Spectrumby MrAbkebab Explore the Universe23,170 views
- 9:51 Color Measurement with Ocean Optics Spectrometersby Ocean Optics8,223 views
- 13:44 How to make your own spectroscopeby John Diane Ahern210 views
- 8:12 Espectroscopio casero a CDby Guillermo Abramson52,843 views
- 3:13 Making a Spectroscopeby lrogersKYHS447 views
- 9:56 How to make a small easy telescopeby epicfantasy171,648 views
- 1:40 La expansión del universo (1/7). Espectroscopioby Eduardo Riaza8,852 views
- 10:12 How to Make a Kaleidoscopeby www123peppy156,769 views