The 280mm Atomic Cannon - Nuclear Artillery Test
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 11, 2010
Excerpt from recently updated Operation Upshot-Knothole
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M65_Atom...
Picatinny Arsenal was tasked to create a nuclear capable artillery piece in 1949. Robert Schwartz, the engineer who created the preliminary designs, essentially scaled up the 240mm shell (then the maximum in the arsenal) and used the German K5 railroad gun as a point of departure for the carriage. (The name "Atomic Annie" likely derives from the nickname "Anzio Annie" given to a German K5 gun which was employed against the American landings in Italy.) The design was approved by the Pentagon, largely through the intervention of chief of the Ballistics Section of the Ordnance Department's Research and Development Division, Samuel Feltman, and a three-year developmental effort was begun. The project proceeded quickly enough to produce a demonstration model to participate in Dwight Eisenhower's inaugural parade in January of 1953.
The cannon was transported by two specially designed tractors, both capable of independent steering in the manner of some extra-long fire engines. Each of the tractors was rated at 375 hp, and the somewhat awkward combination could achieve speeds of 35 miles an hour and negotiate right turns on 28 ft wide, paved or packed roads. The artillery piece could be unlimbered in 15 minutes and then returned to traveling configuration in 15 minutes more.
On May 25, 1953 at 8:30am local time, the Atomic Cannon was tested at Nevada Test Site (specifically Frenchman Flat) as part of the Upshot-Knothole series of nuclear tests. The test--codenamed Grable--was attended by then Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Adm. Arthur W. Radford and Secretary of Defense Charles E. Wilson; it resulted in the successful detonation of a 15 kt shell (warhead W9) at a range of 7 miles. This was the first and only nuclear shell to be fired from a cannon.
Subsequent to the successful test, there were at least 20 of the cannons manufactured at Watervliet and Watertown Arsenals, at a cost of $800,000. They were deployed overseas to Europe and Korea, often continuously shifted around to avoid being detected and targeted by opposing forces. Due to the size of the apparatus, their limited range, the development of nuclear shells compatible with existing artillery pieces (the W48 for the 155mm and the W33 for the 203mm), and the development of rocket and missile based nuclear artillery, the M65 was effectively obsolete soon after it was deployed. However, it remained a prestige weapon and was not retired until 1963.
Standard YouTube License
Next in Vintage Atomic and Nuclear Films
- 27:41 The Nike Hercules Story 1960 Army Filmby nuclearvault13,190 views
- 10:36 The 280 MM Gun At The Nevada Proving Groundby nuclearvault246,364 views
- 22:52 Atomic Weapons Tests Trinity Through Buster Jangle 1945 - 1951by nuclearvault31,924 views
- 12:49 Nuclear Test: "Operation Upshot-Knothole" pt2-3 1953 DODby Jeff Quitney131,368 views
- 14:01 Underwater Atomic Test, Mark 90 Betty A-Bomb: "Operation Wigwam" pt2-3 1955by Jeff Quitney246,658 views
- 8:12 Dornier Do 335 Pfeil (Arrow) - fastest piston engine fighter of WW2by spottydog44771,462,398 views
- 44:50 Cold War Nuclear Factories [FULL VIDEO]by FakeProphetTV171,406 views
- 17:55 Declassified U.S. Nuclear Test Film #69by talkingsticktv155,822 views
- 4:01 WW2 - German Railroad guns in action - World War Two military trainby Finding The Best Of Youtube1,386,732 views
- 8:14 155mm Field Howitzer 77B: The Bofors Gunby curioushyam1,972,444 views
- 17:46 Declassified U.S. Nuclear Test Film #32by talkingsticktv127,442 views
- 1:56 M65 Recoiless Nuclear Rifleby Mobius081,144,484 views
- 2:27 Atomic Bomb Testby omgucantbesrs4,659,423 views
- 27:02 Operation Redwing - Nuclear Test Film (1956)by nuclearvault9,294 views
- 45:40 Operation Argus (1958) Atmospheric Nuclear Testsby nuclearvault13,055 views
- 47:16 Operation Tumbler Snapper (1952)by nuclearvault86,506 views
- 11:52 Atomic Test Film: "Operation Teapot " pt2-3 1955 USAFby Jeff Quitney9,649 views
- 15:11 Operation Cue (1955)by nuclearvault40,406 views
- 3:11 WWII Hitler's Secret Weapon - Doc.Film Trailer - PzVIII Maus,V3,Ratte,He162,Dora Gun etc.by Petr Warry PetrW1,429,195 views