Thor Halvorssen's testimony against Venezuela's bid for a UNHRC seat (Geneva 6/28/2012)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 29, 2012
On July 28, 2012, Human Rights Foundation (HRF) joined the campaign organized by the Geneva-based human rights group, U.N. Watch, to stop Venezuela from obtaining a seat on the UN Human Rights Council. In this video, HRF president Thor Halvorssen addresses the UNHRC and the opponents of human rights revealed their intolerance and their fear of being exposed.
"My name is Thor Halvorssen and I am from Venezuela. In 2004, my mother was shot by the security forces of the Venezuelan government of Hugo Chavez.
Through the Human Rights Foundation, which I founded and direct, I have carefully monitored the Venezuelan state and have established that its current government is among Latin America's worst human rights violators.
In Venezuela, exercising free speech is fraught with risks. Political dissent is criminalized. Property is capriciously and unlawfully seized. Opposition politicians are disqualified from elections thanks to false accusations. Journalists are harassed and media critical of the government is simply shut down. Judges are fired and even sent to prison when the president dislikes their rulings. More than 150,000 people have been killed in Venezuela since Lieutenant Colonel Chávez was elected president in 1999. Add to this the more than 5,000 who have died in the country's disgraceful prisons, many of them awaiting trial and therefore possibly innocent of the charges that put them behind bars in the first place. No such murder rate had ever existed in Venezuela, or anywhere else in the world for that matter. The government has proven that it is incapable of protecting the most basic human right--the right to life.
While all of this has taken place this council has remained silent.
Madam President, despite all of this, Venezuela is now seeking election to this council. When it was founded in 2006 the council promised that only those countries that "uphold the highest standards in the promotion and protection of human rights" would be the only ones elected. To elect Venezuela would shame and embarrass this council and would allow Venezuela to shield its horrendous record of abuse and equally problematically, to validate other authoritarian governments such as Syria, Iran and one that sits shamefully on this council: Cuba. Electing Venezuela would deny this council the chance to shine a light into the darkness that envelops Venezuela and it will blunt actions to protect 29 millions Venezuelans who are at the mercy [of a malicious and incompetent government]."
Standard YouTube License
- 31:52 'Nuclear Iran same as nuclear-armed al-Qaeda': Netanyahu full UN 2012 speechby RT Featured 135,750
- 8:05 Cuba: Laura Pollan, the Ladies in White - Freedom, Not Exile - English / españolby HumanRightsFdn5,627 views
- 14:55 Ladies In White - English/españolby HumanRightsFdn8,335 views
- 2:21 Havel Prize Laureate Park Sang Hak arrested by South Korean policeby HumanRightsFdn284 views
- 6:34 Cambios para Cuba - English / españolby HumanRightsFdn1,352 views
- 55:23 Da Ali G Show - USA (FULL)by StainesNews21,312 views
- 29:00 Alex Rosén i Venezuelaby Stig Hess2,013 views
- 19:46 UN Cambodia USA UE FR CHINA Thai..- 30th Meeting 24th Regular Session of Human Rights Councilby TeukTnotChou2,499 views
- 53:06 A Solas con Hugo Chávez, presidente de la República de Venezuelaby RT en Español76,028 views
- 44:53 Wake Up Thailand 27กค55by reduniverse reduniverse4,367 views
- 21:08 25 Funniest Ali G Interviewsby list25739,488 views
- 14:30 Islam Hijacking the UN Human Rights Councilby Joniversity24,620 views
- 41:01 Eladio Aponte Aponte entrevista exclusiva @SOiTV (Completa)by YoSOiTV180,153 views
- 1:28:49 The Contract.Full Movie.by TheRomanov51585,883 views
- 1:52:05 Olympus Has Fallen FULL MOVIE 2013) Gerard Butler, Morgan Freeman Movieby fullmovie7332,405 views
- 9:51 Brief History of Human Rightsby RealPress16,755 views
- 7:25 Another Punjab Policeman Speaks Out about Human Rights Abusesby ensaaf7,530 views
- 6:46 How the Ford Foundation Helped Destroy Immigration Enforcementby Death To Liberalism2,441 views
- 28:31 The 30 Articles of the Universal Declaration of Human Rightsby CoursesinIreland5,910 views
- 3:34 Free Speech Violation of Human Rights Police Taser Student During John Kerry Forumby The R.E.A.L. Institute -Max Bliss1,949 views
- Loading more suggestions...