Randy Barnett: Losing Obamacare While Preserving the Constitution
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jul 12, 2012
"We won in our effort to preserve the Constitution and, in fact, we moved the ball in a more positive direction," says Georgetown Law's Randy Barnett, one of the legal architects behind the constitutional challenge to Obamacare.
Chief Justice John Roberts' majority opinion in the 5-to-4 decision upheld Obamacare's individual mandate as an exercise of Congress' tax powers, while simultaneously rejecting the Obama administration's sweeping assertion of federal power under the Commerce Clause. Barnett argues that the chief justice "substituted a less dangerous tax power for a far more dangerous Commerce Clause power." Had the Supreme Court accepted the government's theory of the Commerce Clause, Barnett explains, Congress would have had the power "to do anything it wants with respect to the economy."
A professor of legal theory at Georgetown University Law Center and the author of nine books, including Restoring the Lost Constitution: The Presumption of Liberty (2004), Barnett represented the National Federation of Independent Business in its challenge to the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
Reason Senior Editor Damon Root recently sat down with Barnett to discuss the Obamacare decision, the "echo chamber" of liberal academia, and why the Constitution is fully consistent with libertarian principles.
Approximately 33 minutes.
Shot by Jim Epstein and Joshua Swain, and edited by Epstein.
Go to http://Reason.tv for downloadable versions and subscribe to ReasonTV's YouTube Channel to receive automatic updates when new material goes live.
Standard YouTube License
- 40:07 (part 2) Glenn Beck goes back to the future w/ George Orwell's book "1984" Brad Thor GBTVby Glenn Beck Book ListFeatured 5,390
- 56:44 What Ever Happened to the Constitution? | Andrew Napolitanoby Mises Institute Media 106,150 views
- 51:44 Demographic Winterby UCAGIBTV 28,674 views
- 8:28 John Stossel - Generational Theftby LibertyPen 8,606 views
- 1:29:53 Restoring the Lost Constitution: The Presumption of Libertyby LibertarianismDotOrg 843 views
- 2:38 Damon Root: On the Conservative vs. Libertarian Take on the U.S. Constitutionby 92ndStreetY 3,901 views
- 4:41 Penn Jillette: Why I Am A Libertarianby Libertarianism.org 124,796 views
- 0:40 Did pitcher and catcher take a cheap shot on umpire?by bobokoncak 996,256 views
- 1:16:27 Why the Meltdown Should Have Surprised No One | Peter Schiffby Mises Institute Media 345,256 views
- 26:25 THE ECONOMY'S NEW CLOTHES: Milton Friedman on the New Economby Hoover Institution 4,717 views
- 5:55 Evaluating the ObamaCare Ruling (Randy E. Barnett)by Cato Institute 4,044 views
- 10:34 Thomas Sowell - Our Intellectual-In-Chiefby LibertyPen 12,068 views
- 6:05 25 craziest things the U.S. government spends money onby RESIST TYRANNY AT ALL COST ! 11,120 views
- 1:00 Alito to Verrilli: Is it a tax or isn't it?by dentonexable 51,512 views
- 27:13 Dennis Prager and Adam Carollaby TheChampion613 8,054 views
- 5:19 Entitlement Nation? : "The O'Reilly Factor" w/ Juan Willians, Rich Benjamin, and Deneen Borelliby AmericaWriter's channel 1,709 views
- 52:09 Open Hardbat Final - 2011 US National Table Tennis Championshipsby usatabletennis 6,291 views
- 23:48 Watch Mitt Romney's Full Speech at NAACP National Conventionby PBS NewsHour 166,491 views
- 20:53 The Supreme Court is wrong: ObamaCare is UNCONSTITUTIONALby SchiffReport 66,949 views
- 8:13 Judge Andrew Napolitano Wants you to VOTE Gary Johnson 2012by TraceOfConsciousness 4,086 views
- Loading more suggestions...