Got To Give It Up (Parts 1 & 2) - Marvin Gaye (1977)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 4, 2010
"Got To Give It Up" is a 1977 hit single recorded by American soul music legend Marvin Gaye. The song held the number one position on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 for one week, from June 18, 1977 to June 25. On the R&B Singles Charts it held the number one spot for five weeks. On the disco charts the single was also a number one hit. The song, solely written by Gaye and produced by Art Stewart, is about a man who was too shy to get on the floor and dance. But the groove allows him to lose himself in the music and dance, connecting with the people around him. Initially "Got To Give It Up" in its 11-minutes-plus version was included as the final side of his 1977 double-album live collection, "Live At The London Palladium". The song was issued as an edited four minutes-plus-release, titled "Got To Give It Up, Pt. 1" and became Gaye's biggest hit, with sales exceeding two million copies, since his seminal 1973 anthem, "Let's Get It On". The single reached number one simultaneously on Billboard's pop, R&B and dance singles charts and continued the singer's embrace of disco music following the release of 1976's "I Want You". The song helped Gaye's live album, "Live At The London Palladium", which also featured the song in its full entirety, reach the top five of the albums chart and helped it become one of the best-selling albums of that year while "Got To Give It Up" was one of the best-selling singles of that year. The song became a precursor to the familiar percussion-led, falsetto-sung, party-fill atmosphere of Michael Jackson's 1979 hit "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough". The chant "Let's dance/Let's shout/Get funky what it's all about!", appearing in the latter part of the original track, was also appropriated for the chorus of The Jacksons' 1979 hit "Shake Your Body (Down To The Ground)". Marvin Pentz Gay, Jr. (April 2, 1939 -- April 1, 1984), better known by his stage name Marvin Gaye, was an American singer-songwriter and instrumentalist with a three-octave vocal range. Starting as a member of the doo-wop group The Moonglows in the late fifties, he ventured into a solo career after the group disbanded in 1960 signing with the Tamla subsidiary of Motown Records. After starting off as a session drummer, Gaye ranked as the label's top-selling solo artist during the sixties. Because of solo hits such as "How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved by You)", "Ain't That Peculiar", "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" and his duet singles with singers such as Mary Wells and Tammi Terrell, he was crowned "The Prince of Motown" and "The Prince of Soul". His mid-1970s work including the "What's Going On", "Let's Get It On" and "I Want You" albums helped influence the quiet storm, urban adult contemporary and slow jam genres. After a self-imposed European exile in the early eighties, Gaye returned on the 1982 Grammy-winning hit, "Sexual Healing" and the "Midnight Love" album before his death. Gaye was tragically shot dead by his father on April 1, 1984. He was posthumously inducted to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1987. In 2008, the American music magazine Rolling Stone ranked Gaye #6 on its list of The Greatest Singers of All Time, and ranked #18 on 100 Greatest Artists of All Time. This channel is dedicated to all the great 'old school' R&B music I grew up with, the stuff that originally made me tap my feet and want to be a DJ. Funk, soul, disco, R&B, dance, hip-hop, pop . . . 60s, 70s, 80s . . . whatever you call it, it's all 'Old School' and it's all here!
See my videos featuring the Roots of Rap at:
If you like relaxing with some classic Cool Jazz, go to:
To explore the world of The DJ Cafe, go to:
If you love jamming to some great Classic Rock, check out:
Check out my newer music videos and other fun stuff at:
Check out my news videography stuff at:
Also, check out my youngest daughter (the world's youngest video producer) at:
And coming in January 2011 . . .
DJ Buddy Love presents LONGEVITY . . .
A world record club DJ mixing marathon charity event . . .
121 hours nonstop to benefit cancer research . . .
Live to the world via UStream, Facebook, YouTube & Twitter . . .
More details coming soon . . .
Copyright 1977 Tamla/Motown Records
All Rights Reserved
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Got to Give it Up" on
- 49 videos Play all YouTube Mix
- 7:31 James Brown -The Paybackby OldSchoolChibaniFeatured 1,019,939
- 1:13:28 the very best of MARVIN GAYE FULL ALBUMby luv4music66 478,522 views
- 4:20 Marvin Gaye - Just like Music (Music Feel The Soul)by DJAmericas 778,240 views
- 5:45 B.T. Express - Do It 'Til You're Satisfied (Long Version)by 2773DM 468,372 views
- 4:13 Trouble Man by Marvin Gayeby drkshad0 1,249,134 views
- 5:32 Marvin Gaye - Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)by MarvinGayeVEVO 651,794 views
- 61 videos Play all Marvin Gayeby rename77
- 4:32 Marvin Gaye - I Want You (1976)by backinvault 96,056 views
- 4:01 Aint No Stopping Us Now Mcfadden and Whiteheadby jigga1981 3,053,216 views
- 3:26 The Commodores-Brick Houseby merlotje 4,625,615 views
- 6:02 Marvin Gaye (Live) - Distant Lover HQby GIAPE08 229,909 views
- 4:56 Marvin Gaye - Lets get it onby Boblet233 964,692 views
- 3:06 Diana Ross & Marvin Gaye-My Mistake (Was To Love You)by genobibb 460,356 views
- 3:25 Marvin Gaye - Mercy Mercy meby zurg222 1,189,989 views
- 7:31 One Nation under a Groove - 1978 Parliament Funkadelicby vegasvalleymary3 926,771 views
- 3:05 Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - Your Precious Loveby snakeskate2000 1,623,163 views
- 4:06 Since I Had You - Marvin Gayeby soulbr0ther 390,664 views
- 4:08 Marvin Gaye - What's Going Onby cctaximan 597,258 views
- 3:59 WHATS GOING ON /MARVIN GAYEby manuelworker 2,045,146 views
- 4:31 Marvin Gaye - Just to keep you satisfiedby Gilach 785,406 views
- 3:59 Marvin Gaye Flyin' High (In the Friendly Sky)by RevolverOcelot07 289,160 views
- Loading more suggestions...