Train Otaku can't sleep over new Circle Line opens - 08Oct2011
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Oct 8, 2011
SINGAPORE: Singapore's Circle Line rail network got off to a start on the first day of full operations, with the remaining 12 train stations from HarbourFront to Caldecott opening on Saturday morning.
It's also the first day of higher fares for bus and train rides, with adults who use the EZ-link card paying about two cents more per ride.
But that didn't stop self-professed trainspotter Jay Tan from hopping on.
The 23-year-old waiter took one of the first trains out, just after 5.30am.
He said: "Well I'm on one of the first trains out and it's been a smooth journey so far. Very few people on board. I suspect because most would prefer sleeping in on a Saturday morning. But not reporters like me, my hardworking camera crew and of course, a few train enthusiasts.
"I'm too excited, I (couldn't) sleep last night ... I wanted to board the first train. I also like to board the bus, take a bus photo at the bus stop outside the bus interchange doing bus spotting or trainspotting, sometimes. Like either the new train or new bus, I really like it very much."
Another commuter Samuel Gan said: "The air-con was like malfunctioning because like one moment was like you are in the desert, then suddenly in the other moment like you are in the Arctic."
Several commuters said they'll switch to the Circle Line.
A girl said:" "The bus service is very crowded, quite jam after work. So I need to use this."
A man said: "It's a very good connector to people and places. I really am glad that it is done after so many years."
Another commuter shared the same sentiment: "It's very convenient for me. Otherwise, I need to take the bus."
With plenty of other passengers expected, preparations were in place to welcome them.
Jack Chan, manager, Station Operations, SMRT Rail Operations Division, said: "We have over 200 over staff who have gone through six months of intensive training. (Additionally) they have actually also gone through three months of trial running to lead-up until today.
"(Also) we have employed about 50 over staff for the first week for this opening, most of which we have concentrated at the interchanges because we expect more people at these stations."
With the Circle Line fully open, travel time can be shortened by up to 17 minutes.
Standard YouTube License
- 23:52 World's Strictest Parents Singapore (PART 1)by flyingphippo's channelFeatured 941,418
- 14:29 SMRT Trains - Excellence In Motion (1994)by caixSGTransport 99,094 views
- 7:11 Singapore MRT Contrast: 1991 - 2012by joeyfjj 35,608 views
- 2:08 The Noose: Mediacorp careers - 'Be in the company of Stars'by wolvie1173 82,902 views
- 3:56 (Mediacorp Channel 5) The Noose - Ban On Singlishby DoubleYourTime's channel 194,123 views
- 2:07 Shocking reaction to SMRT train breakdownby IZ Reloaded 189,339 views
- 2:28 The Noose: Pornsak Sukhumvit Thai Reporterby MillyTina93's channel 225,525 views
- 2:32 The Noose: Mindset of a typical Singaporean..by wolvie1173 76,644 views
- 2:22 [FULL-HD] SMRT C151 12-Car Pullby R.O.X.™ 20,591 views
- 7:10 Singapore MRT, Circle Line Discovery Train Ride II (Stage One, Two) - Tai Seng to Dhoby Ghautby mailerdiablo 47,698 views
- 0:30 Tin Pei Ling dozing off and choking herself in Parliament??by edmundkhor's channel 244,197 views
- 4:20 mrbrownshow SIMIby 규현오빠 사랑해요 ❤ ^^ 222,117 views
- 3:26 The Noose: Leticia carries NSboy bagby wolvie1173 188,244 views
- 1:13 The Noose, LuLu from China, Sichuan talks about boosting fertility rate in SGby miloatsale 334,780 views
- 0:26 Low Thia Khiang - 12th parliament sittingby Ravi Philemon 11,835 views
- 1:59 Michelle Chong Already Famous Trailerby pandaalltheway 137,593 views
- 3:31 (Mediacorp Channel 5)The Noose - Singapore Police Learns From CSIby DoubleYourTime 99,721 views
- 2:39 So Singaporean ( SHARE IT)by Sam Driscoll 389,174 views
- 1:19 the mrbrown show: the army is my boyfriendby mistabrown 253,537 views
- 9:53 The Noose 9 Dec - Gurmit Singh Singapore Part 1by keitaru 137,102 views
- Loading more suggestions...