- Startups - Steve Chen of ScreenDate on This Week in Startups #259
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 23, 2012
1:00-2:45 Today we have another serial entrepreneur turned angel investor, Steve Chen.
2:45-3:15 Welcome Steve. How did we first meet?
3:15-7:00 Thank you to Squarespace for supporting the show! Everyone thank @Squarespace!
7:00-9:00 What happened with GoPlanIt?
9:00-10:00 How did the business do after launch?
10:00-12:00 Has starting a company become easier in recent years?
12:00-14:00 How many companies have you invested in to date?
14:00-19:45 Steve details why he knew that Space Monkey would be a fit as an investment.
19:45-21:00 Tyler: What was the hardest part about investing in Space Monkey? What hesitations did you have?
21:00-21:45 I don't think Drew cares and I'll tell you why: I'm not going to leave Dropbox.
21:45-24:00 Huge thanks to our friends at Trada for their support! Everyone thank @Trada!
24:00-26:00 Let's talk about Alltuition: what did you love about them?
26:00-28:00 How much do you think the startup world today is driven by UX?
28:00-30:30 Looking at the design site Behance.
30:30-32:30 If you look at a company with great design but with few features, do you bet on it?
32:30-39:00 How did you become a restauranteur?
39:00-41:30 What's the impact of early adopters in the restaurant business?
41:30-44:00 Steve discusses what he likes about Tyler's company, Skweal.
44:00-47:00 Why do restaurant owners feel hostility toward Yelp?
47:00-50:00 Does a business have to pay a fee to be a part of OpenTable?
50:00-54:00 Can you buy traffic to OpenTable?
54:00-56:00 How would a digital menu work?
56:00-58:30 Is the perception that, if you have a loyalty program, you're a failing restaurant?
58:30-01:00:30 Insight from Tyler: It's like a used wedding ring.
01:00:30-01:04:30 What is the most unreasonable customer situation that you've ever had to endure?
01:04:30-01:09:00 Jason shares his best restaurant trick for clearing out a table from his dad.
01:09:00-01:12:00 Steve tells Jason about his new project, ScreenDate.
01:12:00-01:14:00 Is there a mobile component?
01:14:00-01:16:45 So does the algorithm work like page rank?
01:16:45-01:20:30 So this forces people to be realistic?
01:20:30-01:26:00 Insight from Tyler: It's like British postage stamps?
01:26:00-01:27:45 Tyler shares an anecdote about a run in with a tall women.
01:27:45-01:30:00 Everyone check out ScreenDate.com. And be sure to eat at 5A5 Steak Lounge when you're in San Francisco. Thanks Steve. We'll see you all next time.
01:30:45-01:31:00 Insight from Tyler: It's like patenting a nuclear weapon.
Support This Week in Startups and independent media by joining the TWiST Producer Program at TwistList.co!
Want to support TWiST another way? Use bit.ly/twistamazon when you shop and a portion of your purchase will go toward helping keep independent media like TWiST on air!
Keep up with the latest from our sister company, LAUNCH:
First Eight Companies for LAUNCH Education & Kids
The Age of Excellence
Is There a YCombinator Valuation Bubble or Not?
The One Product that Makes Apple a Trillion-Dollar Company Overnight
Mint.com-for-the-cloud Cloudability to Graduate from TechStars Cloud with 2k+ Customers
FOLLOW ON TWITTER
SPECIAL THANKS TO OUR PREFERRED PARTNER eMINUTES
Lawyers who focus on forming and maintaining corporations and LLCs. Check them out at http://eMinutes.com and @eminutes.
Next in - Startups: Season 3 Episodes
- 1:16:51 - Startups - Sri Lanka Meetup - TWiST #256by ThisWeekIn 4,793 views
- 1:37:20 - Startups - Eric Ries of Lean Startup - TWiST #199by ThisWeekIn 23,614 views
- 1:18:55 - Startups - News Roundtable with Thomas McInerney and Marshall Kirkpatrick - TWiST #258by ThisWeekIn 3,955 views
- 1:14:54 - Startups - George Zachary of Charles River Ventures - TWiST #237by ThisWeekIn 3,917 views
- 56:54 - Startups - Kristoph Matthews CEO & Founder of Boxbee -TWiST #E351by ThisWeekIn 1,057 views
- 1:00:33 - Startups - LAUNCH Trio: Captricity, That's Suspicious Behavior and The Tap Lab - TWiST #261by ThisWeekIn 2,535 views
- 52:24 - Startups - Shark Tank Takeover - TWiST #202by ThisWeekIn 5,521 views
- 1:12:58 - Startups - Chamath Palihapitiya of The Social+Capital Partnership - TWiST #238by ThisWeekIn 7,965 views
- 43:28 This Week in Startups - Ask Jason Mararthonby ThisWeekIn 2,175 views
- 2:02:46 This Week in Startups - All Ask Jasonby ThisWeekIn 2,143 views
- 43:28 - Startups - Sebastian Thrun of Google X and Udacity - TWiST #271by ThisWeekIn 20,511 views
- 1:18:38 - Startups - Jennifer Lum of Adelphic Mobile/Apricot Capital - TWiST #257by ThisWeekIn 2,217 views
- 53:14 - Startups - Fred Wilson of Union Square Ventures - TWiST #161by ThisWeekIn 11,177 views
- 57:48 - Startups - Shervin Pishevar of Menlo Ventures - TWiST #212by ThisWeekIn 4,792 views
- 1:16:43 - Startups - All Ask Jason- TWiST #255by ThisWeekIn 2,447 views
- 51:31 - Startups - Ethan Anderson, co-founder and CEO of RedBeaconby ThisWeekIn 2,622 views
- 1:18:50 - Startups - Dmitry Shapiro of Anybeat - TWiST #187by ThisWeekIn 3,840 views
- 1:23:56 - Startups - News with Sean Percival and James Altucher - TWiST #223by ThisWeekIn 3,236 views
- 45:27 - Startups - London Meetup on TWiST #153by ThisWeekIn 2,033 views
- 1:16:31 - Startups - News Roundtable with Peter Pham and Marshall Kirkpatrick - TWiST #221by ThisWeekIn 2,831 views
- Loading more suggestions...