Dr. Robert Spitzer Retracts 'Ex-Gay' Study and Apologizes to the LGBT Community
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 30, 2012
In 1973, Dr. Robert Spitzer led the charge to successfully have homosexuality removed from the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM), which is its list of mental disorders. This was a major victory and remains one the gay movement's signature achievements.
Given his stature and key role in declassifying gay people as sick, it was quite a surprise when Dr. Spitzer published a non-peer reviewed 2001 study in the prestigious Archives of Sexual Behavior that claimed some "highly motivated" gay people could become straight through prayer and therapy. The study said that some gay people could reach their "heterosexual potential."
When he announced his work at the 2001 APA meeting in New Orleans, it created a media sensation. An Associated Press story called his findings "explosive."
In 2012, Dr. Spitzer recanted in the American Prospect magazine. In a letter obtained by Truth Wins Out and sent to the Archives of Sexual Behavior, Dr. Spitzer asked that his study be retracted.
TWO went to Dr. Spitzer's home in Princeton, NJ and interviewed him. He not only repudiated his study, he also apologized to the LGBT community. He told anti-gay organizations -- such as NARTH, Focus on the Family, and the American College of Pediatricians to stop promoting his invalid study. He even told Parents and Friends of 'Ex-Gays' (PFOX) to take a video they have posted of Spitzer off their website.
With Dr. Spitzer's renunciation of his study, a crowning achievement in efforts to promote sexual conversion has been reduced to a crown of thorns. Now that Spitzer has revealed the truth, perhaps anti-gay and "ex-gay" organizations can begin to abandon the harmful practice of reparative therapy.
New York Times
Truth Wins Out
Standard YouTube License
- 7:24 Gay Parents Bashed: What Would You Do?by kristinliuable's channelFeatured 340,512
- 16:12 Freedom from Homosexuality: My Storyby Carl Wright 14,446 views
- 15:22 Testimonio-Ex Gay Travesti-1-3-Hector Gustavo Hno de Victor Manuelleby renovacion unics 21,957 views
- 7:30 Patrick McAlvey: 'I Was Harmed By 'Ex-Gay' Therapyby Wayne Besen 39,779 views
- 9:12 Joy Behar - Stephen Bennett Says He's A Former Homosexual Manby SuchIsLifeVideos 25,955 views
- 58:10 Howard Stern - Ex gay star Joseph Sciambra - 03/27/13by Benjy Bronk 5,341 views
- 21:35 The Next Right Wing Conspiracy From Fox Newsby NewsPoliticsInfo's channel 16,882 views
- 11:02 Ex-Gay Undercoverby itlmedia 8,678 views
- 8:16 Homosexuality: Nature vs. Nurtureby rctctom 101,938 views
- 8:13 Ex Gay Nathanael Flock | His Life Changing Storyby XtremeFaithTV 2,195 views
- 5:19 Christian TV Slams Dan Savageby OnKneesforJesus4 3,521 views
- 15:19 Testimonio-Ex Gay Travesti-3-3-Hector Gustavo Hno de Victor Manuelleby renovacion unics 14,802 views
- 13:55 Rachel Maddow - Romney's lying problemby Licentiathe8th 17,574 views
- 8:44 Former Ex-Gay Leaders Apologizeby SoulforceQ 78,034 views
- 7:57 Rachel Maddow takes down gay-to-straight conversion seminarist Richard Cohen (pt 1/2)by ImmortalSynn's channel 319,424 views
- 6:45 Homophobes Are Gay - Studyby TheYoungTurks 101,745 views
- 1:26 Robertson Promotes Ex-Gay Conversion for Gay Sonby RWWBlog 62,373 views
- 6:12 sadness, Girl twenty-eight years with the body of a babyby bazichetto 9,003,444 views
- 3:19 Joel Osteen: Being Gay a Sin, But Gay People Are Niceby David Pakman Show 9,877 views
- 3:50 (Out of ) Focus on the Familyby Wayne Besen 20,699 views
- Loading more suggestions...