EXPENSIVE NOODLE SOUP FOR $111
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 20, 2010
At Fujimaki Gekijyo, there is only one item on the menu - a bowl of "Five-taste blended Imperial Noodles" at $111 dollars.
A bowl of Japanese noodle soup, or ramen as its called here in Tokyo, usually costs around 500 yen to 1,000 yen ($5.50 - $11 U.S. dollars). But at Shoichi Fujimaki's restaurant the iconic Japanese dish is being distanced from its roots as a staple of popular and cheap dining.
"If there's a tonne of them everywhere, of course the price will go down. Here is the only place in the world that people have this soup. I believe that this is indeed the number one noodle soup in the world," chef and noodle restaurant owner Fujimaki told Reuters in an interview as he started on the three day preparations on his broth.
Made from top-grade Chinese blended pork and beef soup stock, he adds Thai herbs to create a broth with a Tom Yum flavor. While the final product remains firmly a bowl of Japanese noodles in soup, Fujimaki says its more than that. "It's not really ramen.
This is my cuisine, it's my 25 years of experience distilled into one bowl," he explained. Fujimaki says originally he'd concocted a bowl of noodles at 3,000 yen ($33 U.S. dollars) but decided to push the envelope even further and see how far into the gourmet world he could take the dish.
To reserve a seat at his restaurant you need to become a member of his "club", which can only be done if you are a patron of another of Fujimaki's noodle establishments. "I personally love ramen and have been all over the country to try them as a hobby. But once you've tried one here once, it just feels like other ramen places are missing something," said 43-year old Keietsu Kasukawa after he finished a bowl of the noodle soup he described as 'a different experience each time'. No-one seems to have a problem with the price tag.
"Ten thousand yen is certainly expensive, as normal ramen shops sell ramen for a thousand yen or even less. However, I think that sometimes it's better to come here and spend ten thousand yen than to go to another place and spend a thousand yen ten times over," Tokyo resident Hideko Furusawa told Reuters, after she polished off what she described as a 'deliciously creamy soup broth."
Fujimaki says he plans to expand his business overseas around August of this year to the Los Angeles area, and while still undecided, he's promised the price will be less than $100 U.S. dollars in order to keep the Tokyo restaurant as the Mecca of noodle soup lovers.
Standard YouTube License
- 3:58 America's Most Expensive Challenge -120oz Steak | Furious Peteby Furious Pete Featured 707,463
- 9:04 JUNGLE MEIN BUNGLE, LOVER'S SPOT PART-1by news9tv134 views
- 1:59 APPLE JUMPS INTO DOSA.by news9tv617 views
- 3:19 NO RESPECT FOR PUBLIC MONEY IN HAMPIby news9tv47 views
- 2:24 LOVER'S SPOT PART-2 ,JUNGLE MEIN BUNGLEby news9tv26 views
- 2:10 'Most expensive' noodlesby CNN3,097 views
- 4:57 Korean Food Jjamppong Spicy Seafood Noodle Soupby This is my OLD channel13,235 views
- 3:32 Ramen Noodleby applexbox21,446 views
- 12:34 Fideos Ramen con marisco en Oriental y talby Canal Cocina44,107 views
- 5:27 Most Expensive Foodby instablogs145,538 views
- 3:36 Anthony Bourdain Sapporo Ramenby miximatosis70,935 views
- 6:10 Top 5 Weirdest and Most Expensive Food in the Worldby NTDTV7,242 views
- 14:56 HOW TO LOOSE A LOT OF WEIGHT WITHOUT EXERCISING *MUST WATCH* PT1by Juvaun Ivauno709,877 views
- 11:50 Kao Bun เข้าปุ้น (Lao rice vermicelli noodle soup in red curry)by Kingcredible21,402 views
- 2:38 Ramen Shop in Matsumoto Japanby toddatron22,996 views
- 5:56 Tonkotsu Ramen 田中商店 (東京)by 46E2Q404,204 views
- 2:35 Japanese Udon Miso Noodle Soupby Jaden Hair54,756 views
- 7:17 Sapporo Miso Ramenby kevshiro35,681 views
- 4:02 Travel: Tokyo Quest: Ramen 101 - nytimes.com/videoby The New York Times76,000 views
- 5:12 Living The Ramen Dream - The first 90 days...by Keizo Shimamoto63,007 views
- Loading more suggestions...