Nottingham- The Salutation and The Royal Children
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jul 5, 2012
A video looking at The Salutation and The Royal Children.
The traditional sign of this like-named hostelries (I.e. of the Archangel Gabriel 'Saluting the Virgin Mary) aroused the religious scruples of the Puritans when they came to political power (1649-1659) and formed the so called Commonwealth Government. The innkeeper here was ordered by the new masters either to remove the offending sign or have it repainted and some approved sign substituted. Naturally, he wished neither to alter his sign out of all recognition nor to lose his licence, so he compromised- as did many of the royalists colleagues- by renaming his Inn the 'Solider and Citizen'. Despite this it thankfully the name of the Salutation stuck all along with its punters and the name as never chaged since.
The pub dates around 1240 AD. Research has suggested that the first building on the site of the pub was an homestead of an unnamed Tanner who made animal skins into leather.
The second pub in the video is curiously named Royal Children has its part to play in Britsh history. In 1688, when the throne of King James II was in peril, he arranged for Anne. (1646-1723 r. 1702-14) his daughter, to be spirited away to Nottingham.
While in Nottingham Castle, Anne endeared herself to the citizens of the city and became popular amongst the locals.
Tradition has it that her children (from her union with Prince George of Denmark) were accommodated in this inn....or because Princess Anne's children used to play with the then Landlords children. Unfortunately none of Anne's children survived into adulthood and it is said that the restless spirits of her offspring still walk in and around the site.
The name "The Royal Children" is painted on the one piece of whale-bone that was publicly displayed in Nottingham. They brought the sign inside as it was rotting away but it used to hang outside the front door.
Standard YouTube License
- 4:39 Royal Life of Mary and Frederik of Denmarkby M27038866,376 views
- 9:34 Video about Prince Joachim and Princess Marie of Denmark lifeby cpdenmark43,621 views
- 3:31 Our Crown Princess Maryby cpdenmark5,554 views
- 11:53 Game Theory: Is Link's Quest in Majora's Mask Pointless?by The Game Theorists713,671 views
- 9:27 Bygone Nottingham DVD Trailerby bygonefilmsarchive7,795 views
- 7:33 Nottingham Nights (2009)by freerunningfilms6,166 views
- 5:42 7 Things We Say In Nottingham (Slang Tag Response)by shockz168,828 views
- 5:39 El Salón de Belleza - 4 mayo 2012 - HOYby MananpaMX856 views
- 4:56 Hardline (With Jeff Scott Soto) - Hot Cherie.Firefest 2013 Rock City,Nottingham 19th Oct 2013by mick parry3,340 views
- 9:18 Nottingham City Centre 1985by bonearrowgroup11,849 views
- 3:50 Nottingham City Centre 1972by bonearrowgroup7,601 views
- 9:30 Nottingham Goose Fair 1985by bonearrowgroup9,151 views
- 6:19 Nottingham City Center 1974by sollylab41,099 views
- 2:00:01 The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask -OST- all Tracksby Officer94433,848 views
- 5:38 Satnam's Tash-Ye Olde Salutation Inn-Nottingham 17/05/2012by leo welch175 views
- 13:22 Gaming Mysteries: Ben Drowned in Majora's Mask (Creepypasta)by Yuriofwind1,129,859 views
- 1:37 Nottingham- The Severns Buildingby NottsHiddenHistory181 views
- 12:43 Game Theory: Is Link Dead in Majora's Mask?by The Game Theorists1,748,787 views
- 7:27 "The Souvenirs" live at "Ye Olde Salutation Inn"by Paul Bednall284 views
- 5:22 StOp sToP live at Ye Olde Salutation Inn - 17 August 2013by garyholtonsite74 views
- Loading more suggestions...