The Future of Information Alliance - MPT Special
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 18, 2012
This University of Maryland / Future of Information Alliance Program was videotaped on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 at the Newseum in Washington, D.C. For more information about the FIA please go to their website: http://www.fia.umd.edu/ or see the news release: http://newsdesk.umd.edu/university/re...
According to Webster, it's "The communication or reception of knowledge or intelligence;
knowledge obtained from investigation, study, or instruction: intelligence, news, facts, data."
But how do we receive this knowledge or intelligence and how do we communicate it to others? Do we write memos, send e-mails, make telephone calls?
Do we Skype, Tweet, text, or just plain talk to each other face to face?
Actually, we receive and communicate information in all these ways.
But how will we communicate information in the future? Will Facebook and Google be replaced by something we don't even have a name for, because it hasn't been invented yet?
This is what this program is all about: The Future of Information. How we will communicate this information and the role it will play in our daily lives.
During this University of Maryland program - we'll focus on three leading "Future-ists" from three leading "futuristic" companies.
* Dr. Dan Russell is Director of "User Happiness" at Google.
* Dr. Mary Czerwinski manages the "research on human-computer interaction" at Microsoft.
* Dr. Abdur Chowdhury is a former chief scientist at Twitter.
The University of Maryland is proud to present - from The Newseum in Washington DC - three individual future-ists, three futuristic companies. The Future of Information.
Your moderator is WAMU-FM talk show host Kojo Nnamdi.
MORE ABOUT THE FUTURE OF INFORMATION ALLIANCE
Led by University of Maryland Professors Allison Druin (iSchool) and Ira Chinoy (Journalism), the Future of Information Alliance will be a catalyst for transdisciplinary dialogue and research on evolving issues related to the role of information in our lives. By identifying shared challenges and encouraging innovative solutions, the Alliance seeks to facilitate a future in which information in all its forms can be an effective resource for everyone. Website: http://www.fia.umd.edu
This program (at the Newseum's Knight Conference Center) was part of a week-long series of events to kick off the FIA during the fall of 2011. During their week at Maryland, the three Visiting Future-ists took part in four on-campus programs, the Newseum event, and a live appearance on the Kojo Nnamdi radio program on WAMU 88.5. (listen online at http://newsdesk.umd.edu/university/re...)
This special edited version of the Newseum event was broadcast on MPT (Maryland Public Television) on June 12, 2012 and June 19, 2012.
Standard YouTube License
- 15:42 The CSPAC Hunger Gamesby joyfulnoiseplayers 463 views
- 3:38 UMD "Gangnam Style" Parody 강남 스타일 (Official)by UMD Libraries 186,289 views
- 3:29 Demons (Imagine Dragons) - PandemoniUM - 2012 Big Fall Showby AcaLaureate 14,516 views
- 2:33 Welcome Class of 2013 -- Always a Terpby UMD2101 721 views
- 2:37 University of Maryland Students Harlem Shake - Flash Mobby TheSovereignSpirit 83,871 views
- 1:56 Maryland Baseball - Are You Ready?by MarylandAthletics 14 views
- 1:02 Maryland Athletics: 1-Hour Terrapin Energy Commercialby MarylandAthletics 2 views
- 1:21 Can We Bring People Back from the Dead?by RonPlacone 581 views
- 0:26 Maryland Athletics: Shell & Shoulders Commercialby MarylandAthletics No views
- 3:22 SemiRestore - Pronto! (INFORMACION)by CANAL DE MARCIANOS PARA MARCIANOS 8,473 views
- 16:26 Platica Informativa, Favoritos, Clarisonic & mas! BeautybyNenaby BeautybyNena 4,040 views
- 37:39 First Time Home Owner Information Seminarby Jack Jewan 3,222 views
- 9:32 Pulling The Plug On Generation Zeroby Eddie Julius Milanes 2,325 views
- 8:44 invisibleCAPTIONSby Melissa Jane Kielbus 13,986 views
- 9:50 How to Share Difficult Information with Friends Without Losing Friendshipsby THRIVE: What on Earth Will it Take? 14,281 views
- 7:21 Experience Matters -ETCG1by ETCG1 3,948 views
- 1:02 Information, Phone Information, and Number Look Up - Stand Up Comedyby StandUpBits - Stand Up Comedy - Daily Funny! 2,528 views
- 0:51 WCPB-TV 28 Salisbury, Marylandby TechnerVideo 13,943 views
- 0:09 Earth Creatures / Maryland Public Television / Cinar logos (1999)by rebelofzorak96 3,946 views
- 2:24 MPT Covers Cupid's Cupby SmithBusinessSchool 1 view
- Loading more suggestions...