The Future of Information Alliance - MPT Special
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 18, 2012
This University of Maryland / Future of Information Alliance Program was videotaped on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 at the Newseum in Washington, D.C. For more information about the FIA please go to their website: http://www.fia.umd.edu/ or see the news release: http://newsdesk.umd.edu/university/re...
According to Webster, it's "The communication or reception of knowledge or intelligence;
knowledge obtained from investigation, study, or instruction: intelligence, news, facts, data."
But how do we receive this knowledge or intelligence and how do we communicate it to others? Do we write memos, send e-mails, make telephone calls?
Do we Skype, Tweet, text, or just plain talk to each other face to face?
Actually, we receive and communicate information in all these ways.
But how will we communicate information in the future? Will Facebook and Google be replaced by something we don't even have a name for, because it hasn't been invented yet?
This is what this program is all about: The Future of Information. How we will communicate this information and the role it will play in our daily lives.
During this University of Maryland program - we'll focus on three leading "Future-ists" from three leading "futuristic" companies.
* Dr. Dan Russell is Director of "User Happiness" at Google.
* Dr. Mary Czerwinski manages the "research on human-computer interaction" at Microsoft.
* Dr. Abdur Chowdhury is a former chief scientist at Twitter.
The University of Maryland is proud to present - from The Newseum in Washington DC - three individual future-ists, three futuristic companies. The Future of Information.
Your moderator is WAMU-FM talk show host Kojo Nnamdi.
MORE ABOUT THE FUTURE OF INFORMATION ALLIANCE
Led by University of Maryland Professors Allison Druin (iSchool) and Ira Chinoy (Journalism), the Future of Information Alliance will be a catalyst for transdisciplinary dialogue and research on evolving issues related to the role of information in our lives. By identifying shared challenges and encouraging innovative solutions, the Alliance seeks to facilitate a future in which information in all its forms can be an effective resource for everyone. Website: http://www.fia.umd.edu
This program (at the Newseum's Knight Conference Center) was part of a week-long series of events to kick off the FIA during the fall of 2011. During their week at Maryland, the three Visiting Future-ists took part in four on-campus programs, the Newseum event, and a live appearance on the Kojo Nnamdi radio program on WAMU 88.5. (listen online at http://newsdesk.umd.edu/university/re...)
This special edited version of the Newseum event was broadcast on MPT (Maryland Public Television) on June 12, 2012 and June 19, 2012.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:49:29 FIA Launch 2011 Day 1: Visiting Future-istsby FIA UMD 341 views
- 37:39 First Time Home Owner Information Seminarby Jack Jewan 2,895 views
- 15:00 Palestra Marise Barroso - Parte 1/8by canalfia 339 views
- 7:44 Gabriel of Urantia interviews Russell Meansby GlobalChangeFilms 25,098 views
- 1:51:55 FIA Launch 2011 Day 5: Science in our Livesby FIA UMD 137 views
- 1:50:35 FIA Launch 2011 Day 4: Transparency and Boundariesby FIA UMD 113 views
- 15:42 The CSPAC Hunger Gamesby joyfulnoiseplayers 463 views
- 1:45:04 FIA Launch 2011 Day 3: Creativity and Cultureby FIA UMD 64 views
- 3:40 Motor Club Of America - Turn $40 Into $1200-$2000+ Weekly!by Kerwin Thomas 341 views
- 1:33:19 Future of Information Forum 2010by FIA UMD 57 views
- 10:14 Talkshow com CEOs - parte1/10by canalfia 294 views
- 13:31 2013 Cornell vs Maryland NCAA 1st Round Complete Game Lacrosse Highlightsby huntva 2,310 views
- 5:00 Ride Across Maryland on Maryland Public Televisionby stevengt 698 views
- 15:30 Abdur Chowdhury: The Future of Information Allianceby UMDNews 83 views
- 20:53 Dan Russell: Future of Information Allianceby UMDNews 72 views
- 9:50 How to Share Difficult Information with Friends Without Losing Friendshipsby ThriveMovement 10,723 views
- 7:21 Experience Matters -ETCG1by ETCG1 3,615 views
- 0:51 WCPB-TV 28 Salisbury, Marylandby TechnerVideo 13,943 views
- 3:29 Demons (Imagine Dragons) - PandemoniUM - 2012 Big Fall Showby AcaLaureate 13,671 views
- 0:15 Maryland Public Television ReelChanges.org Collaborationby HalPlotkin 1,567 views
- Loading more suggestions...