Respighi - The Matins of St Clare - Church Windows (3/4) Four Symphonic Impressions
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 30, 2009
Respighi, who proved with his Roman triad that he was a man who composed well in the form of tone or symphonic poem, was out of character in writing his "Vetrate di chiesa" ("Church Windows"); the subtitle, "Four Symphonic Impressions", was odd as these were not "impressions" at all.
Respighi composed three pieces for piano while vacationing with his wife in Capri in 1919. The three piano pieces were titled "Tre preludi sopra melodie gregoriane (Three Preludes on Gregorian Melodies)".
Respighi revisited the pieces and transcribed them for large orchestra, adding a fourth piece in order to make the symphonic suite complete. The names of the pieces came long after, based upon the feel of the pieces. Respighi and his close friend, librettist and literature professor, Claudio Guastalla, worked together to provide titles that would tie each of the pieces to stained glass windows of churches in Italy; they went so far as to provide scriptural references or libretto-like religious texts to accompany the pieces.
But this was all done after the pieces were written...
Presented here is "Il Mattutino di Santa Chiara" ("The Matins of Saint Clare"), a tribute to the founder of the 'Order of Poor Ladies', an order for nuns in the Franciscan tradition of the Catholic Church. This piece tells of how Clare of Assisi was, according to legend and Claudio Guastalla's libretto-like description, "miraculously borne by the angels from her sick-bed to the church of Saint Francis in order to be present at the service of Matins". The orchestration's use of bells and celeste lend beautifully to the monastic feel of the piece.
The piece is performed here by the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, led by Jesus Lopez-Cobos, a wonderful interpreter of Respighi's works, in my humble opinion.
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Church Windows: III. The Matins Of Saint Clare" on
Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra & Jesús López-Cobos
- 49 videos Play all YouTube Mix - Respighi - The Matins of St Clare - Church Windows (3/4) Four Symphonic Impressions
- 28:17 Beethoven - Symphony No 1 in C major, Op 21 - Thielemannby Classical Vault 2 Featured 3,373
- 9:23 Respighi - St Gregory the Great - Church Windows (4/4) Four Symphonic Impressionsby Billy Stewart18,294 views
- 6:47 Respighi - The Flight into Egypt - Church Windows (1/4) Four Symphonic Impressionsby Billy Stewart15,582 views
- 8:22 Respighi ~ 1 of 2 - Adagio con variazioni for Cello & Orchestraby Billy Stewart11,301 views
- 6:11 Respighi - St Michael the Archangel - Church Windows (2/4) Four Symphonic Impressionsby Billy Stewart36,377 views
- 10:00 Respighi - Tropical Night - Brazillian Impressions (1/3)by Billy Stewart9,945 views
- 37:13 Ottorino Respighi: La pentola magica (P. 129) (1920)by TheWelleszCompany12,858 views
- 23:06 Respighi - Belkis, Queen of Sheba: Suite, P. 177 (1934)by musicanth10,711 views
- 15 videos Play all Respighiby cxetim
- 17:49 Respighi: Ancient Airs and Dances, Suite No. 2 [COMPLETE]by peartree33611,360 views
- 10:07 Respighi - Gli Uccelli ("The Birds") - (1/2)by Billy Stewart38,891 views
- 7:58 Respighi - The Adoration of the Magi - Three Botticelli Pictures (2/3)by Billy Stewart17,630 views
- 15:42 Respighi ~ Three Preludes on Gregorian Melodiesby Billy Stewart1,565 views
- 5:47 Ottorino Respighi - Church Windows (2 = St. Michael Archangel)by 100yearoldWhiskey3,231 views
- 25:08 Ottorino Respighi: Lauda per la Natività del Signore (P. 166) (1930)by TheWelleszCompany7,154 views
- 23:31 Ottorino Respighi, The Pines of Rome, Karajanby Francisco Lopez612 views
- 5:48 Ottorino Respighi - Church Windows (1 = The Flight into Egypt)by 100yearoldWhiskey2,893 views
- 10:14 Pines Of Rome - Respighiby ZEPHYRUS7056,160 views
- 10:12 Ottorino Respighi Piano Concerto Part Iby JCHBONNET6,673 views
- 4:51 Respighi - The Birth of Venus - Three Botticelli Pictures (3/3)by Billy Stewart27,408 views