Prof Jim Al-Khalili - Alan Turing: Legacy of a Code Breaker
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 4, 2012
From cryptanalysis and the cracking of the German Enigma Code during the Second World War to his work on artificial intelligence, Alan Turing was without doubt one of the greatest minds of the 20th century. An extraordinarily gifted mathematician, he is rightly regarded as the father of computer science having set in place the formal rules that govern the way every computer code ever written actually work. This lecture will be a celebration of one man's enigmatic yet ultimately tragic life - a whirlwind tour of his genius, from whether computers can have consciousness to how a leopard gets its spots.
Presented by Professor Jim Al-Khalili, Professor of Physics and Professor of Public Engagement in Science from the University of Surrey.
Jim Al-Khalili OBE is an Iraqi-born British theoretical physicist, author and science communicator. He is Professor of Theoretical Physics and Chair in the Public Engagement in Science at the University of Surrey. He has become a familiar science personality in the British media. He has hosted several BBC productions about science and is a frequent commentator about science in other British media venues.
This was a joint lecture between the Royal Society of Edinburgh and the University of Edinburgh School of Informatics.
Recorded on Thursday 10 May 2012 at the George Square Lecture Theatre, The University of Edinburgh.
Please note: the excerpts from the BBC documentary have been removed from this version of the lecture video due to copyright issues. You can see the full version of this lecture with the excerpts on our iTunesU channel (www.ed.ac.uk/about/video/itunesu)
Standard YouTube License
Next in The Gifford Lectures
- 4:41 Jaron Lanier: The Death of Alan Turingby bigthinkFeatured 30,286
- 58:45 Inaugural lecture: Prof Vincent Danosby EdinburghUniversity 1,634 views
- 45:10 Prof Philip Maini: Turing's theory of developmental pattern formationby EdinburghUniversity 1,367 views
- 45:54 Dr Elham Kashefi: Quantum Turing testby EdinburghUniversity 1,162 views
- 59:20 The Story of Electricity Ep 1 HDby lxtech 30,255 views
- 9:08 Double Slit Experiment explained! by Jim Al-Khaliliby The Ri Channel 45,157 views
- 59:58 Jim Al-Khalili - Quantum Life: How Physics Can Revolutionise Biologyby TheRoyalInstitution 56,944 views
- 58:37 BBC Science and Islam 1 - The Language of Scienceby IslamicGoldenAge 49,523 views
- 59:03 BBC Horizon Order And Disorder With Jim AI.Khalili- Information - EP02by Allex Ferreira 57,452 views
- 50:17 Jim Al-Khalili: Is Time Travel Possible? Determinism, Relativity and the Arrow of Time (2011)by qedcon 2,088 views
- 2:56:53 Science and Islam, Jim Al-Khalili - BBC Documentaryby UstadKadirMisiroglu 13,322 views
- 1:18:27 Brian Greene - The Hidden Realityby BostonMOS 313,393 views
- 59:15 Science & Islam - The Power of Doubt [HD] FULL BBC Documentary 3 of 3 HDby missionpeace 13,887 views
- 1:29:09 Christopher Hitchens Debates Al Sharpton - New York Publicby ChristopherHitchslap 224,816 views
- 6:17 Alan Turing - My Favourite Scientistby FavScientist 22,399 views
- 1:36:39 Turing: Pioneer of the Information Ageby StanfordUniversity 2,766 views
- 16:38 Why quantum mechanics is so mysterious: Professor Jim Al-Khaliliby InstituteofPhysics 4,862 views
- 2:43 How to solve the ALAN TURING Google Doodleby tagSeoBlog 390,485 views
- 2:56 Jim Al-Khalili: 'The days of naive scientists are long gone' -- the Guardianby TheGuardian 731 views
- 1:43 Professor Jim Al-Khalili, OBE - The Innovation Debate 2012by Innovationdebate 3,688 views
- Loading more suggestions...