Family Finds Mammoth Bones In Backyard June 5 2012
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 5, 2012
Iowa June 5 2012
An excavation is underway thanks to the discovery of the bones of a prehistoric mammoth in one Oskaloosa, Iowa, family's backyard.
According to ABC's affiliate ABC5-WOI in Des Moines, the first bones were discovered in July 2010 by a man named John and his two teenage sons when they were walking in the woods of their property looking for blackberries.
One of his sons pointed out what he thought was a ball in the creek below to his family. Once they got closer, John, who has an interest in archeology, noticed a marrow line at the top of the object, said reporter ABC5-WOI reporter Katie Eastman, who interviewed the family.
Realizing this was no ball, the family dug out what has now been identified as a mammoth femur.
Despite discovering the bones nearly two years ago, the bones were brought to the University of Iowa for identification only last month, sparking the interest of Holmes Semken, professor emeritus of Geoscience.
Semken enlisted the help of volunteers from the University of Iowa as well as Iowa State University, to help to uncover the fossils lying six feet below the surface.
The University of Iowa Museum of Natural History is overseeing the project's excavation and research.
"The size of this discovery is quite uncommon," said Sarah Horgen, education coordinator at the museum. "It's pretty exciting-partially because the mammoth is being discovered where it died. And we know that because we're finding very large bones right alongside very small bones."
Horgen says the mammoth is at least 12,000 years old, and was extinct by the end of the last ice age.
Horgen also noted that the mammoth's discovery is not uncommon in Iowa, and that the museum has a working record of reported fossil discoveries around the state.
"The bones discovered could be 100,000 years old or more," she said.
Two digs have been held so far. In addition to the bones found by the landowner, volunteers have since uncovered the mammoth's feet bones, as well as its floating and thoracic ribs.
"The femur is about 4 feet long. The ribs of the diaphragm that move when you breathe are 2 and half feet each. The ribs that connect to the breast bone are 4 feet. You could use one for a walking cane," Semken said.
But what will happen to the mammoth's bones once they've been all dug up?
"The bones really belong to the land owner," said Semken. "Our agreement with him is we get the science."
Semken is interested in finding how the animal died, but more importantly, how it lived.
He plans on studying the pollen samples and seeds lodged within the bones, as well as the compound make up to understand the environment the mammoth lived in, what it fed on, where it fed in terms of grassland as opposed to forest.
Semken says the digs should progress through the summer. He plans to enlist the help of volunteers from William Penn College in Oskaloosa, the local county conservation board, as well as rock clubs around the state to partake in the digs.
Standard YouTube License
- 28:34 BBC Walking with Beasts - Land of giantsby Extinction ChanneL 53,886 views
- 0:35 2010 An incredible archaeological discovery in iran-persiaby alisa fer 573,316 views
- 45:30 Ice-Age Discovery of the Americas, Solutrean-Clovisby Planet X News ►►► 20,546 views
- 48:22 UFOTV® Presents - Forbidden Archeology - Secret Discoveries of Early Man - FREE Movieby UFOTVstudios 2,346,899 views
- 28:43 BBC Walking with Beasts - Mammoth journeyby Extinction ChanneL 8,648 views
- Bone 34,023 videos15
- 4:40 Archaeological discovery, proof of Jesus' resurrection?by ActsNewsNetwork 6,206 views
- 5:33 Leonardo, the mummified dinosaurby Houston Museum of Natural Science 23,522 views
- 2:14 Lakeland man finds trash dump in back yardby ABCActionNews 13,641 views
- 3:24 Croc Fossil Discovered in Caveby National Geographic 39,445 views
- 2:06 Wool Mammoth Find in Russia Flesh Bones Fur доисторических мамонтов кровиby Brett Kitchens 18,302 views
- 9:32 What are fossils and how do they formby davahak 23,021 views
- 1:23 Iowa Man Makes Mammoth Discoveryby AssociatedPress 16,289 views
- 1:10 Scientists Find Giant Camel Fossil in Arcticby GeoBeatsNews 1,375 views
- 2:44 Researchers Say Newly Discovered Mayan Mural Debunks 2012 'Doomsday' Mythby IBTimesTV 3,967 views
- 12:29 The Rock Wall, Man vs Archaeology with Aaron Judkins (XIndianaJones1), Season 1, Episode 7by Aaron Judkins 3,791 views
- 2:53 Man without bonesby khimohajir 12,014,569 views
- 2:52 Another Miami Cannibal Zombie - Homeless Man Tries to Bite Police Officer June 7 2012by CrazyNews88 45,863 views
- 2:42 Neon light left on for 77 years discovered in a Los Angeles Resturantby GirlofGoodtimes 10,730 views
- 1:29 Tinkerbell in tears after Disney World spat - Disney costume sparks tearsby OMG mp3.com 573,132 views
- 23:00 Minecraft Dinosaurs - Part 40 - Mammoth Rail is opening for Businessby Megneous Gaming 11,541 views
- Loading more suggestions...