Preaching Pro-Life on the 22nd Sunday of Cycle C
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Aug 27, 2013
Fr. Frank Pavone (http://www.FrFranksBlog.com), National Director of Priests for Life (http://www.PriestsForLife.org), shares thoughts on preaching pro-life on the 22nd Sunday of the year, Cycle C (September 1st, 2013).
More liturgical resources are at http://www.ProLifePreaching.com.
A fuller explanation follows.
Sir 3:17-18, 20, 28-29
Heb 12:18-19, 22-24a
Lk 14:1, 7-14
Being pro-life is really all about the humility of which today's first reading and Gospel speak. Humility allows us to see each other and ourselves honestly, as neither more nor less than what we are. Because we see the worth of our own lives and those of our neighbors, we are not led by pride to either oppress or ignore those lives. Rather, humility leads us to serve those lives. Humility keeps us from being fooled by appearances, and led to pay more attention to those who are more rich, famous, or powerful. Instead, we respect and serve the small and lowly. We don't determine their value, and neither does the law.
"When you have a reception, invite beggars and the crippled, the lame and the blind. You should be pleased that they cannot repay you, for you will be repaid in the resurrection of the just." Here, Jesus urges us to have "eschatological realism." We are to evaluate today's choices in the light of what will happen on the last day. This applies perfectly to our service of the unborn. Of anyone we can serve, they are the least able to repay us, or even to know of our efforts on their behalf. Doing the work of the pro-life movement is the most selfless of all kinds of love, for we are loving those who cannot love us back.
Moreover, we are loving those whom today's psalm calls the forsaken. We are imitating God, "the father of orphans," who "gives a home to the forsaken and leads forth prisoners to prosperity."
Standard YouTube License
- 51:25 Nothing Just Happens ❃Bishop T D Jakes❃by MarriageSermons Bishop T.D Jakes82,287 views
- 1:14:46 No Matter What, Serve The House ❃Bishop T D Jakes❃by MarriageSermons Bishop T.D Jakes53,794 views
- 26:11 Sunday Sermon: The Last Days of Black Americaby talkincrazy8882 views
- 1:21:14 Breaking The Cycle Of Pain ❃Bishop T D Jakes❃by MarriageSermons Bishop T.D Jakes28,366 views
- 1:00:30 Commitment ❃Bishop T D Jakes❃by MarriageSermons Bishop T.D Jakes20,556 views
- 15:09 Respect Life - 27th Sunday Ordinary Time (Cycle C)by St Elizabeth Ann Seton Catholic Church80 views
- 4:24 Florida Right to Life Pro-Life Leader Forum Invitation 2by FloridaRightToLife103 views
- 3:10 Preaching Pro-Life on the 34th Sunday of Cycle C - Solemnity of Christ the Kingby priestsforlife82 views
- 4:14 Sunday Cycleby Fraser Vanderwel100 views
- 3:17 Mary Ann Kuharski, speaking on Pro-Lifeby Prolife Across America192 views
- 1:27:33 May 26, 2013 Sunday Morning Service: "Preacher Pastor Garfield Daley"by Faith Chapel258 views
- 31:06 Joel Osteen - Dont Feed Trash To Your Heartby 234karthikeyan315,977 views
- 3:05 March for Lifeby VOTHIProLife161 views
- 23:27 True North Sunday September 1st--What Do You Do with a Wayward Christian?by truenorthfellowship10 views
- 1:56 Preaching Pro-Life on the 33rd Sunday of Cycle Cby priestsforlife57 views
- 31:35 Joel Osteen - Get Over It - Sun, 15 April 2013by Joshua Solomon414,200 views
- 9:31 Homily Christ the King (Cycle C) Fr Della Pennaby TheCasaFRC24 views
- 30:57 Joel Osteen - God Smiles at You By Seeing Your Faith but Devil Smiles at You by Seeing Your Fearby 234karthikeyan554,688 views
- 2:53 Preaching Pro-Life on Easter Sunday, Cycle Cby priestsforlife66 views
- 2:00 Preaching Pro-Life on the 32nd Sunday of Cycle Cby priestsforlife47 views
- Loading more suggestions...