- Startups - News Roundtable Panel with Liz Gannes and Jon Ferrara - TWiST #284
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Sep 1, 2012
1:00 Welcome everyone to an end-of-the-summer TWiST News Roundup with panelists Liz Gannes of AllThingsD and Jon Ferrara, the CEO of Nimble.
3:00 Thank you to Squarespace for supporting the show! Everyone thank @Squarespace!
5:30 First story: Marissa Mayer has been at the helm of Yahoo for about two months now. How do you rate her progress?
6:15 Liz: I think she needs people to hold off from rating her for as long as possible.
8:30 Jason: I give her an A, I'm a fan and I'm rooting for her.
9:30 Kirin: Does it matter that Yahoo stock has taken a bit of a beating?
9:45 Jon: I think you can learn a lot from talking to team members. I recently spoke to a senior product manager at Yahoo who said they used to be embarrassed to say they worked there, but are now really happy that Marissa is on board.
11:45 Jon also gives Marissa an A.
12:00 Liz: I give her a C, you really have to earn an A.
12:45 Discussion of the possible companies that Yahoo might acquire.
15:15 Jon: I worry about Flipboard and Zite having their data access cut off.
20:00 Jon: What are the top products at Yahoo right now?
21:15 Jason: Why don't they just make Flickr free?
22:30 What about Path, any chance Dave Morin will sell?
25:45 Liz, do you think Pinterest is really an acquisition possibility for Yahoo?
26:15 Thank you to GoToMeeting for supporting the show! Everyone thank them @GoToMeeting!
29:30 Other companies on Liz and Kara's list were Bump, Pulse and Foodspotting.
30:15 Next story: The Apple/Samsung patent trial came to a conclusion last week with the jury finding in favor of Apple. Is this the end of the war? Will Samsung stop copying Apple products?
35:30 Is spending billions of dollars on patents really what shareholders want to see a company doing?
39:30 Next story: President Obama did an AMA on Reddit this week and, despite only answering about 10 questions, nearly shut the site down with traffic. Who is the winner here, Obama or Reddit?
42:00 Jon: As much as his conversation may have been scripted, I think it's relevant that the leader of the free world is social.
44:30 News has not improved for Facebook stock, which hit a new low today at $18/share. Where is this headed?
46:45 Liz: My husband started working at Facebook so I can't talk about it anymore.
50:00 How much more money does Peter Thiel stand to make off of his Facebook investment?
51:45 Next story: There are two new Apple products scheduled to be released this fall: the next generation iPhone and an iPad mini.
53:45 How will the iPad mini change the market?
56:30 Jon: I'm an Apple fanboy, but the text is a little bit small for me to read.
1:00:45 Last story: Dalton Caldwell's App.net has met its funding goal to build an alternative Facebook or Twitter social network. Does this stand a chance of succeeding?
1:03:30 Liz: Have you ever bought a Google ad against one of your competitors?
1:05:30 Is "giving up control" of your company just a euphemism for "we quit"?
1:09:15 Liz: I'm running the next D conference, Dive into Mobile, in New York in October that is all about mobile.
1:11:30 Jon, thanks for joining us. If people email firstname.lastname@example.org and use the code TWiST, they'll get 90 days free.
1:12:00 Great job, Kirin, thank you for reading the news.
1:14:15 We'll see you next time, thanks for watching everyone!
Support This Week in Startups and independent media by joining the TWiST Producer Program at TwistList.co!
Want to support TWiST another way? Use bit.ly/twistamazon when you shop and a portion of your purchase will go toward helping keep independent media like TWiST on air!
Keep up with the latest from our sister company, LAUNCH:
Good to Great to Excellent: A Roadmap
Building a Better Techmeme
LAUNCH Looking for an Awesome Full Stack Engineer/Developer
Live Blogging LAUNCH Education & Kids - Day Two
FOLLOW ON TWITTER
Next in - Startups: Season 3 Episodes
- 1:37:20 - Startups - Eric Ries of Lean Startup - TWiST #199by ThisWeekIn 23,614 views
- 1:37:02 - Startups - News Panel with Paige Craig - TWiST #292by ThisWeekIn 3,377 views
- 1:03:33 This Week in Venture Capital #73 with Jeff Bermanby This Week In 1,223 views
- 1:05:05 Max Levchin and Peter Thiel: Smart Venture Capital in 2011 (2/2/11)by commonwealthclub 6,611 views
- 6:11 Joe Rogan gets his 10th Planet black beltby Eddie Bravo 435,472 views
- 1:06:42 Delivering a Marketable VC Pitchby Stanford Graduate School of Business 8,360 views
- 57:32 Secrets at Apple's Core Entire Talkby misuhara 2,211 views
- 1:10:41 - Startups - TWiST Meetup, Auckland vs. Sydney - TWiST #280by ThisWeekIn 3,210 views
- 54:37 - Startups - Mikkel Svane, Founder of ZenDeskby ThisWeekIn 3,830 views
- 54:47 - Startups - All Ask Jason - TWiST #283by This Week In 3,996 views
- 37:48 ThisWeekIn Movies - This Week in Movies, Season 2, Episode 3 - Max Winklerby ThisWeekIn 414 views
- 18:54 - Music - Ian Rogers's Home/Office Sonos System - TWiMusic #47by ThisWeekIn 4,899 views
- 1:03:54 - Startups - News Panel with Peter Pham and Keith Richman - TWiST #278by ThisWeekIn 2,987 views
- 32:18 Mark Zuckerberg at Startup School 2012by StartupSchool12 44,627 views
- 1:06:16 - Startups - Shark Tank Takeover - TWiST #287by ThisWeekIn 5,177 views
- 8:54 The Apprentice - s04e05p03by Mantray0 28,486 views
- 6:50 White Collar Season 3 Full Bloopersby NacyBadVamp95 112,898 views
- 1:14:49 Start-Up Compensation and Hiringby stanfordbusiness 13,097 views
- 34:28 - Venture Capital - David Cohen, David Tisch of TechStars NYby ThisWeekIn 3,017 views