Sculpture: Berlinde De Bruyckere Interview at ACCA, We are all Flesh 2012
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 26, 2012
Berlinde De Bruyckere in conversation at her exhibition 'We are all Flesh' at The Australian Centre for Contemporary Art. Berlinde explains her use of the ACCA spaces as you move through the galleries and encounter her new works 'We are all Flesh'. She reveals the influences behind each work and her methodologies, working with wax, horsehide, and other materials.
We are all Flesh
Australian Centre for Contemporary Art
2 June - 29 July 2012
Berlinde De Bruyckere uses wax, wood, wool, horse skin and hair to make haunting sculptures of humans, animals and trees in metamorphosis.
We are all Flesh will include the rarely seen and iconic work 019 and two new commissions created specially for this exhibition.
Based in her home town of Ghent, Berlinde De Bruyckere's studio is an old neo-Gothic Catholic school house. From here she creates her incredible sculptures - torsos morph into branches, trees are captured and displayed inside old museum cabinets and cast horses are crucified upside down in works that have been described as brutal, challenging, inspiring and both frightening and comforting.
Heavily influenced by the old masters, De Bruyckere's early years at boarding school were spent hiding in the library, pouring over books on the history of catholic art. She went on to study at the Saint-Lucas Visual Arts School in Ghent, and was known in the early stages of her career for using old woolen blankets in her works, sometimes simply stacked on tables of beds, a response to news footage she had seen of blanket-swathed refugees in Rwanda.
Her breakthrough work In Flanders Fields, five life-size splay-legged horses captured in the throes of death, was commissioned by the In Flanders Fields Museum, in the town of Ypres, the site of the legendary World War 1 battle. She was then invited to participate in the 2003 Venice Biennale, and the subsequent work, an equine form curled up on a table titled Black Horse, firmly established her on the international scene.
She has since had solo exhibitions at Hauser & Wirth in Zurich and New York and in prestigious museums across Europe.
The Pillow, 2010
We are all Flesh, 2010-2012
Inside Me III, 2012
Romeau "my deer" I, IV, V & III, 2012
Courtesy the artist, various private collections, Hauser & Wurth and Galleria Continua
VIDEO PRODUCTION: Emma Sullivan
Standard YouTube License
- 9:36 乃木坂46 『バレッタ』by nogizaka46SMEJ Featured 932,171
- 8:36 Saatchi Gallery Londonby Noud te Riele897 views
- 8:00 Rinus van de Velde - Bobby Fischerby razorblatter1,264 views
- 6:55 Romeu Runa: Romeu My Deerby Nathalie Hambro2,698 views
- 43:56 Doctor Who Confidential 4x01 A Noble Returnby Ippo70725,107 views
- 6:47 Saatchi Gallery - THE REVOLUTION CONTINUES: NEW CHINESE ART exhibition video tourby saatchigallofficial2,570 views
- 5:22 DHC/ART - Berlinde De Bruyckereby DHCARTMontreal2,674 views
- 86 videos Play all Sculptureby henrichy0205yt
- 11:30 BERLINDE DE BRUYCKERE'DEN YARAby ANI SAGKAN470 views
- 2:55 Berlinde De Bruyckere: We are all Flesh, installation timelapse ACCAby accaonline2,679 views
- 1:32:52 First Presidential Debate: Obama vs. Romney (Complete HD - Quality Audio)by The Daily Conversation2,339,145 views
- 10:30 Prosthetic Sculpting Tutorial Video Part 1: blocking outby stuart bray29,137 views
- 2:59:52 Canto Ostinato four pianos, De Schalm, Veldhoven.m4vby Jeroen VanVeen109,585 views
- 3:29 Biennale Arte 2013 - Belgiumby BiennaleChannel4,771 views
- 9:50 Making a Brush on Silicone Moldby Brick In The Yard Mold Supply233,829 views
- 3:47 Susan Rothenberg: Emotions | Art21 "Exclusive"by Art2117,175 views
- 10:27 WIM DELVOYE | Louvre | 2012 | Video par Nikolaï Saoulskiby whoyouart806 views
- 1:41 Konrad Wyrebek Live Sculpture - Flesh Reality 09.05.13 YTby PointZeroLondon363 views
- 5:46 The Making Of Lady Gaga Wax Figures Madame Tussaudsby Eduardo Cinta436,920 views
- 5:34 TateShots Issue 11 - Juan Munozby Tate6,953 views