London accents English Breakfast English Lesson ELT Learn English Culture Lesson UK Teacher
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Mar 20, 2012
This video is about the Great British Cafe. A cafe ( /kæf/) is a different place to a café ( /kæˈfeɪ/). While in a café you can expect to buy nice coffee, cakes and paninis, in a cafe you can buy a very greasy breakfast cheaply. Most famous of all the meals you can buy in a cafe is the full English breakfast, which consists of fried eggs, baked beans, two toast, mushrooms, hash browns, fried tomatoes, bacon and sausages with a cup of tea or coffee. It is delicious, especially when you are hung-over. However, it is recommended not to eat it everyday because even though it is delicious, all the food is fried, making it is very unhealthy and fatty. You would become very fat, very quickly!
It is typically builders who eat at British cafes in the morning. British cafes are open early and people in the construction industry start work early. Also, because builders have very hard, physical, manual labour jobs they need the fat for energy and the protein for muscle. Builder's lunches are much later in the afternoon, so they need to keep their stomachs full for a long time too. They slurp a cup of milky tea after their breakfast (tea is the Great British tradition that everyone drinks and builders are no different, even drinking it all day at work for energy and enjoyment.)
Almost everyone in a cafe reads a tabloid newspaper while they wait for their breakfast or when they are finishing their tea after it. A tabloid newspaper is one that is very populist and has catchy headlines, silly stories, political scandals, and naked women. The type of English used in these newspapers will be very different to the type you learn in class but it is a very common type of English that is used by many people every day.
The people in cafes have very strong, local accents that you may find hard to understand. They are usually from the local neighbourhood around the cafe where you are eating. They are usually interesting characters as well that fall into a few categories. There are often old age pensioners, complaining about the cost of living and their small pensions. There are the builders. There are hungover people on the weekends staring into their plates. Then there are the owners who are often Turkish.
If you are in England and are from a different, you should visit the Great British cafe because it is an interesting and very real cultural experience for you. This is the real England of the everyday and if you want to understand British culture, this is an important aspect of it. Even if it looks dirty, visit and try it out for yourself!
Standard YouTube License
- 23:39 Daily English Dictation 143 & Listening Comprehensionby dailydictation Featured 4,352
- 4:48 London English accent tell story learn real English idioms phrases for storytellingby Jade Joddle6,532 views
- 4:26 How to do South LONDON accentby Jade Joddle25,565 views
- 15:35 Common Daily Expressions - English Listening & Speaking Practiceby Anglo-Link946,913 views
- 6:37 What not to do in London turistas de Londres advice EFL London Englishby Jade Joddle3,582 views
- 14:58 The best English 1 . The best way to learn English through moviesby SERLYMAR1,055,756 views
- 4:39 Understand rude English peopleby Jade Joddle4,750 views
- 7:32 Making small talk in England. How to talk to English peopleby Jade Joddle9,440 views
- 9:14 British & American English: Food Vocabularyby EnglishLessons4U142,515 views
- 3:46 Learn English in London - An Introduction to English Courses at International House London Schoolby International House London12,271 views
- 9:20 Paula on English Breakfast Showby Paula Taylor Fans268,144 views
- 9:19 Best posh accent? R.P. BBC English or Standard Englishby Jade Joddle36,931 views
- 9:16 British Culture Lesson, why is London so expensive? Learn Englishby Jade Joddle6,262 views
- 15:10 Hello Class: Breakfast and Foods, Learn English Vocabulary Onlineby hellochannelenglish34,290 views
- 1:58 Cockney Slang!by UnlimitedOnFacebook92,076 views
- 46 videos Play all English cultureby scomptonchs
- 13:04 How to speak with a "british" accent!by mythelou2,421,162 views
- 7:57 Common Mistakes English # 80 R.P. English Accentby Jade Joddle9,047 views
- 6:42 British vs American | English Pronunciation Lessonby Anglo-Link545,931 views
- 15:20 Learn English - How to Listen and Understandby JamesESL1,387,281 views