1955 - NBC - WIDE WIDE WORLD with DAVE GARROWAY (1/7)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 1, 2011
This partially complete show (60 minutes) of the 90-minute documentary series, Wide Wide World (in 7 parts for YouTube) was telecast live on NBC Television at 4 p.m. ET Sunday, October 16, 1955 (the series lasting until 1958). The program was sponsored by General Motors / United Motors System and its subsidiaries like Delco Remy, AC Spark Plugs Electronic Division, and Guide T3 Safety Headlamps Lamp Division. Dave Garroway was the host of the series which featured live remote segments from locations throughout North America. This ground-breaking series carried live events into four million households. This October 16, 1955 premiere, "A Sunday in Autumn," featured 73 cameras in 11 cities, including a college campus, the fishing fleet at Gloucester, Massachusetts, rainswept streets in Manhattan and the famed radio series, "Monitor" broadcasting live in NBC's Radio Central studio. Also seen live: The Grand Canyon, Radio City Music Hall, The Texas State Fair held in Dallas, Weeki-Wachee Springs in Tampa, and a curious coverage by a nervous Ted Husing of an attempt by Donald Campbell to break a speed record at Lake Mead in Nevada, showing nothing more than his boat, on the other side of the lake, failing to take off. A GM commercial with Nelson Case is shown. Interiors and Exteriors of a San Francisco Cable Car in operation is observed. A point of view shot of the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers from an airborne plane is shown, The 85th Fighter Squadron is seen in flight. Ground shots of the MIssissippi River is viewed and a paddleboat is seen on the river. An appearance by Dick Button ice skating at Rockefeller Center was canceled because the rain had washed away the ice.
The show was parodied in the 1960 Warner Bros. Cartoons short, "Wild Wild World" (hosted by Cave Darroway) [also found here on YouTube:http://youtu.be/2koBB1VtsyU ], which pre-conceived Hanna-Barbera's "The Flintstones" by a year!
Time reviewed this show:
"NBC's Wide Wide World whisked its audience all over the map. The camera lazed its way down the Mississippi, poked into a New Jersey lane where lovers walked and old men raked autumn leaves, wandered around Gloucester harbor as fishermen mended nets. There were vivid contrasts between the chasm of the Grand Canyon and the topless towers of Rockefeller Center, the swaying wheat fields of Nebraska and the money-conscious hubbub of the Texas State Fair, an underwater ballet from Florida and the overwater speed trials of Donald Campbell's jet racer at Arizona's man-made Lake Mead. Always there was the immediacy of things happening this very minute, but the real brilliancy of Wide World may lie in its avoidance of the TV interview. The only one attempted, at the Texas Fair, proved again that—given a microphone and someone to interview—an announcer can turn any subject into a crashing bore. The words needed in Wide World were supplied by Dave Garroway and kept to a literate minimum."
Standard YouTube License
- 9:58 1955 - NBC - WIDE WIDE WORLD with DAVE GARROWAY (2/7)by musicom67 612 views
- 9:58 1955 - NBC - WIDE WIDE WORLD with DAVE GARROWAY (5/7)by musicom67 2,378 views
- 5:39 Whats my line? - Dave Garrowayby joanfontainefan 11,041 views
- 21:29 San Francisco 1955by 4clearsky 20,480 views
- 25:35 What's My Line? (Roy Campanella Mystery Guest)by MatchGameProductions 2,184 views
- 9:58 1955 - NBC - WIDE WIDE WORLD with DAVE GARROWAY (3/7)by musicom67 423 views
- 2:43 Bob & Ray. Over Stocked Warehouse; "Dave Garroway Dummies".by katherinesdaddy1 4,715 views
- 9:56 (1/3) RARE 1949 NBC TV 10th ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL - WNBT Channel 4 New York (WNBC)by musicom67 33,535 views
- 7:24 What's my Line? Jack E. Leonardby NorbertR33 20,139 views
- 8:13 today show 30th anniversary pt1by ziggyelman 7,140 views
- 4:41 Frank Zappa - What's My Line, TV Appearance 1971by tomtiddler1 37,814 views
- 8:52 1948 BASEBALL GAME with MEL ALLENby tvdays 8,389 views
- 0:43 Marilyn Monroe - When I Retire, Im Going To Retire To Brooklynby SGTG77 11,629 views
- 14:34 The Les Paul Show Ep 1 - NBCby beggo321 3,871 views
- 3:08 Donald Campbell dies attempting World Water Speed Recordby chatham43 113,680 views
- 7:25 Gloucester, Mass Hammond Castle Story & Tourby DoctorColonelGonzo 3,616 views
- 5:09 What's my Line? Sally Randby NorbertR33 15,826 views
- 6:09 Groucho Marx - Mystery Guest on What's My Line?by thefools 435,333 views
- 5:54 What's my Line? Edgar Bergen & Candice Bergenby NorbertR33 25,652 views
- 2:59 Ernie Kovacs - NBC Radio Network Comedy Monologue on "Monitor" June 6, 1959by rolko52 1,092 views
- Loading more suggestions...