Douglas Coe Theocracy in America
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 17, 2009
So who is Doug Coe? He shuns almost all interview requests. But in hours of audiotape and videotape recordings obtained exclusively by NBC News, he frequently preaches the gospel of Jesus to followers and supporters. In one videotaped sermon from 1989, Coe provides this account of the atrocities committed under Chairman Mao in Communist China: "I've seen pictures of the young men in the Red Guardthey would bring in this young mans motherhe would take an axe and cut her head off. They have to put the purposes of the Red Guard ahead of father, mother, brother sister and their own life. That was a covenant, a pledge. That's what Jesus said."
In his preaching, Coe repeatedly urges a personal commitment to Jesus Christ. Its a commitment Coe compares to the blind devotion that Adolph Hitler demanded from his followers -- a rhetorical technique that now is drawing sharp criticism.
"Hitler, Goebbels and Himmler were three men. Think of the immense power these three men had, these nobodies from nowhere, Coe said.
Later in the sermon, Coe said: "Jesus said, You have to put me before other people. And you have to put me before yourself.' Hitler, that was the demand to be in the Nazi party. You have to put the Nazi party and its objectives ahead of your own life and ahead of other people."
Coe also quoted Jesus and said: One of the things [Jesus] said is 'If any man comes to me and does not hate his father, mother, brother, sister, his own life, he can't be a disciple. So I don't care what other qualifications you have, if you don't do that you can't be a disciple of Christ."
The sermons are little surprise to writer Jeff Sharlet. He lived among Coe's followers six years ago, and came out troubled by their secrecy and rhetoric.
We were being taught the leadership lessons of Hitler, Lenin and Mao. And I would say, Isnt there a problem with that? And they seemed perplexed by the question. Hitlers genocide wasnt really an issue for them. It was the strength that he emulated, said Sharlet, who is a Contributing Editor at Rolling Stone and is an Associate Research Scholar at the NYU Center for Religion and Media in New York.
Sharlet has now written about The Fellowship, also known to insiders as The Family, in a soon-to-be published book called The Family: The Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power.
Theyre notoriously secretive, Sharlet said. In fact, they jokingly call themselves the Christian Mafia. Which becomes less of a joke when you realize that they really are dedicated to being what they call an invisible organization.
Federal tax records for Coe's non-profit group shows it funds charitable programs around the world -- but that it is also a family business.
The 990 tax forms for 2005, the last tax year available, show that both of Coes sons were on the payroll, at $110,000 a year each. The organization also paid his wife, his daughter and his daughters-in-law.
Standard YouTube License
- 10:10 Jeff Sharlet - Is there a secret society of Christian crazies and is Mark Sanford a member?by thomhartmannFeatured 9,555
- 10:30 The Family-Theocracy in America Exposed [part I]by Liberty Jackson 11,594 views
- 45:03 Greatest Mysteries of WWII: Hitler's Stealth Fighter 720Pby Superior History 1,015,750 views
- 9:20 The Family-Theocracy in America Exposed [part II]by Liberty Jackson 4,975 views
- 33:40 The Family EXPOSED! Who is behind it all. A MUST SEEby dallasgoldbug 67,913 views
- 4:47 Christian corruption on C Streetby Liberty Jackson 1,346 views
- 9:15 "The Family" - Fundamentalism, Friends In High Places (Fresh Air - NPR) 1/3by im4wur2 7,695 views
- 6:33 To My Fellow Humansby RabidApe 19,800 views
- 59:51 American Theocracy: Radical Religion Oil and Borrowed Moneyby UCTV, University of California Television 8,627 views
- 6:37 How To Read The Bibleby Carl Medearis 3,670 views
- 4:09 Was Jesus Good?by OccamKant 4,845 views
- 4:02 Christian Theocracy in Washington DC-The Family C Streetby Liberty Jackson 1,169 views
- 2:39 Hillary's Prayer Circle, The Family AKA Fellowship, Doug Coeby shockingtruths 3,635 views
- 7:59 Theocracy Now! At the Value Voters Summit 2007by mblumenthal 20,616 views
- 8:09 Palin & O'Reilly: America Based On God, Bibleby TheYoungTurks 87,923 views
- 8:37 Clinton Kicks the Crap out of Fox News Part 2by prezjackie 6,625,512 views
- 8:48 Rodina - srdce amerického křesťanského fundamentalismuby 8080256256 6,187 views
- 6:50 Rick Warren Urges Christians to Be Dedicated as Hitler Youth #2by Bruce Wilson 19,241 views
- 9:52 Theocracy Watch: Dominion Theology (1/5)by TrueIntentions 24,033 views
- 0:56 Russia Today Clip: Jesus apparition ? or Hoaxby TheSaviourLives 608,564 views
- Loading more suggestions...