The Enigma Of Capital - Professor David Harvey - Part 1 - London School of Economics
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 26, 2010
For three centuries the capitalist system has shaped western society and conditioned the lives of its people. Capitalism is cyclical and increasingly bankrupt. Boom-and-bust is its model. Laying bare the follies of the international financial system, eminent academic David Harvey looks at the nature of capitalism and why it's time to call a halt to its unbridled excesses.
He examines the vast flows of money that surge round the world in daily volumes well in excess of the sum of all its economies. He looks at the cycles of boom and bust in the world's housing and stock markets and shows that periodic episodes of meltdown are not only inevitable in the capitalist system but essential to its survival.
The essence of capitalism is its amorality and lawlessness and to talk of a regulated, ethical capitalism is to make a fundamental error. The Enigma of Capital considers how crises of the current sort can best be contained within the constraints of capitalism, and makes the case for a social order that would allow us to live within a system that really could be responsible, just, and humane.
David Harvey is Distinguished Professor of Anthropology at the City University of New York Graduate School and former Professor of Geography at Johns Hopkins and Oxford Universities. The author of numerous books, he was awarded the Patron's Medal of the Royal Geographical Society in 1995 and elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 2007. He is the world's most cited academic geographer and his course on Marx's Capital has been downloaded by well over 250,000 people since mid-2008: http://davidharvey.org/|
This event celebrates Professor Harvey's new book The Enigma of Capital|.
Standard YouTube License
- 13:37 Crisis of Capitalism, The Critiqueby HowTheWorldWorks Featured 210,347
- 24:46 BBC HARDtalk - Roger Waters - Musician (19/9/13)by BBC HardTALK37,682 views
- 1:47:44 China, India, and Global Capitalism | The New Schoolby The New School22,779 views
- 10:00 The Enigma Of Capital - Part 2 - Professor David Harvey - London School of Economicsby Fourman Films9,469 views
- 1:16:38 The Return of Depression Economics Part 1 (of 3): The sum of all fearsby lsewebsite26,793 views
- The London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) 804 videos19K
- 10:00 The Enigma Of Capital - Part 3 - Professor David Harvey - London School of Economicsby Fourman Films8,749 views
- 1:33:00 The Neoliberal Cityby UChannel15,688 views
- 1:25:46 The Enigma of Capitalby lsewebsite5,126 views
- 10:00 The Enigma Of Capital - Part 4 - Professor David Harvey - London School of Economicsby Fourman Films6,636 views
- 23:35 HARDtalk Marxist David Harvey Academic Geographer New Yorkby Geography Video7,737 views
- 10:00 The Enigma Of Capital - Part 5 - Professor David Harvey - London School of Economicsby Fourman Films5,755 views
- 1:45:43 Neoliberalism and the Cityby UChannel12,790 views
- 19 videos Play all RSA Animatesby theRSAorg
- 7:09 A Day in the Life of an LSE Studentby lsewebsite11,872 views
- 54:17 Conversations with History: David Harveyby University of California Television (UCTV)64,860 views
- 11:56 Attributes of LSE studentsby lsewebsite23,464 views
- 10:43 Marxist Geographer David Harvey on the G20, the Financial Crisis and Neoliberalism. 4/2/09 1 of 3by mediagrrl920,187 views
- 6:53 David Harvey on Class and Class Struggleby 2birdsswimming23,682 views
- 1:25:30 David Harvey "The End of Capitalism"by Noam Chomsky Videos644 views