The Enigma Of Capital - Professor David Harvey - Part 1 - London School of Economics
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 26, 2010
For three centuries the capitalist system has shaped western society and conditioned the lives of its people. Capitalism is cyclical and increasingly bankrupt. Boom-and-bust is its model. Laying bare the follies of the international financial system, eminent academic David Harvey looks at the nature of capitalism and why it's time to call a halt to its unbridled excesses.
He examines the vast flows of money that surge round the world in daily volumes well in excess of the sum of all its economies. He looks at the cycles of boom and bust in the world's housing and stock markets and shows that periodic episodes of meltdown are not only inevitable in the capitalist system but essential to its survival.
The essence of capitalism is its amorality and lawlessness and to talk of a regulated, ethical capitalism is to make a fundamental error. The Enigma of Capital considers how crises of the current sort can best be contained within the constraints of capitalism, and makes the case for a social order that would allow us to live within a system that really could be responsible, just, and humane.
David Harvey is Distinguished Professor of Anthropology at the City University of New York Graduate School and former Professor of Geography at Johns Hopkins and Oxford Universities. The author of numerous books, he was awarded the Patron's Medal of the Royal Geographical Society in 1995 and elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 2007. He is the world's most cited academic geographer and his course on Marx's Capital has been downloaded by well over 250,000 people since mid-2008: http://davidharvey.org/|
This event celebrates Professor Harvey's new book The Enigma of Capital|.
Standard YouTube License
- 11:11 RSA Animate - Crises of Capitalismby The RSAFeatured 2,184,887
- 10:00 The Enigma Of Capital - Part 2 - Professor David Harvey - London School of Economicsby Fourman Films 9,126 views
- 1:16:16 David Harvey History Versus Theory A Commentary on Marx's Method In Capitalby Fourman Films 13,143 views
- 30:40 David Harvey at Occupy London (12 November 2011)by PrentissMcCabe 5,596 views
- 1:58:13 Capital - La crise Eux, ils l'adorent - M6 - 20/01/2013by Tony Marteau 13,982 views
- 32 videos Play all David Harveyby imantzi
- 10:00 The Enigma Of Capital - Part 3 - Professor David Harvey - London School of Economicsby Fourman Films 8,465 views
- 14:46 David Harvey - lecture in Zagreb 1.10.2010. 1/5by SkriptaTV 6,370 views
- 2:02:21 Why the Economic Crisis Deepens | The New Schoolby thenewschoolnyc 69,405 views
- 11:56 Attributes of LSE studentsby lsewebsite 21,116 views
- 1:39:02 Rebel Cities: The Urbanization of Class Struggleby lsewebsite 7,535 views
- 27:20 М.Г.Делягин отвечает магистрантам London School of Economics - 3by Mikhail Delyagin 6,496 views
- 1:25:46 The Enigma of Capitalby lsewebsite 3,483 views
- 1:58:13 Capital - La crise Eux, ils l'adorentby DocEtReportage 11,958 views
- 23:35 HARDtalk Marxist David Harvey Academic Geographer New Yorkby Geographyvideo 1,959 views
- 1:54:36 Capital - Bye, bye la crise, je repars de zéroby m6reportages 19,930 views
- 53:27 Introduction to Economics, LSE Kick Off Day 2011by University of London International Programmes 32,917 views
- 1:31:56 The Urban Roots of the Fiscal Crisisby AUBatLebanon 11,461 views
- 10:00 The Enigma Of Capital - Part 4 - Professor David Harvey - London School of Economicsby Fourman Films 6,425 views
- 10:00 The Enigma Of Capital - Part 5 - Professor David Harvey - London School of Economicsby Fourman Films 5,572 views
- 5:52 The Enigma Of Capital - Part 8 - Professor David Harvey - London School of Economicsby Fourman Films 3,610 views
- Loading more suggestions...