Minimally Invasive Lung Cancer Surgery
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 24, 2011
At Alta Bates Summit Medical Center, we specialize in minimally invasive thoracic surgery in the treatment of lung cancer.
In the United States, lung cancer is the number one cause of cancer death. Almost 200,000 people will be diagnosed with lung cancer this year and many of them will be candidates for surgical treatment. At Alta Bates Summit Medical Center, we specialize in minimally invasive surgery for the treatment of lung cancer and many of our patients have benefited from this option.
When lung cancer is diagnosed in the early stages, National Comprehensive Cancer Network guidelines for treatment recommend surgical removal of the affected portion of the lung, known as a lobectomy. Lobectomy has been classically performed through a thoracotomy incision, which is a 5 to 6 inch incision on the side of the chest, between the ribs, allowing wide access to the inside of the chest.
Video-assisted thoracoscopic lobectomy, or VAT's Lobectomy is a technique in which the same cancer operation is done through 3 half-inch incisions, using a small camera and specialized miniature equipment. The surgical team watches the procedure on TV monitors and is able to remove the involved lung without opening up the chest. This leads to considerably reduced pain post-operatively, less time in the hospital, and a much shorter recovery and quicker return to full activity. When fully recovered, the incisions can hardly be seen. Other advantages of the technique include fewer post-operative complications and improved ability to receive subsequent chemotherapy, if indicated.
This operation can be performed on most patients with early stage lung cancer and the results have been nothing short of amazing. Our patients have returned to their prior normal activities and even work shortly after discharge in many cases, and their rapid recoveries have been gratifying to observe. We have a specialized nursing team, both in the operating room and on the post-op ward, to facilitate each patient's surgery and recovery, as well as an active lung cancer tumor board to regularly review the treatment of all cases.
At Alta Bates Summit Medical Center, we will treat you compassionately, with a multi-disciplinary team, using the latest technology and established best practices, to deliver the best care possible.
Standard YouTube License
- 32:30 Your Lung Operationby AmCollegeofSurgeons21,306 views
- 4:41 Warning if you are squeamish you may not want to watch this.by Jim Callahan4,006 views
- 14:25 How to Prepare for Lung Surgery and What to Expect after Your Operationby swedishseattle1,961 views
- 6 videos Play all lung surgery
- 7:45 Prostate Cancer Treatment (08): Radiation Therapyby Alta Bates Summit Medical Center2,260 views
- 5:33 Prostate Cancer Treatment (07): Observation & Surgical Approachesby Alta Bates Summit Medical Center297 views
- 6:11 DYING FROM LUNG CANCER -- description of the dying processby joshuajoshuakline51,134 views
- 3:01 Prostate Cancer Treatment (09): Hormonal Therapy & Clinical Trialsby Alta Bates Summit Medical Center277 views
- 5:00 Lung Cancer Treatment - Minimally Invasive Surgeryby CVTSA2,082 views
- 10:04 EMCTO 2011: Surgical removal of cancerous lung nodules from metastatic patientsby ecancer medicalscience1,392 views
- 2:45 Prostate Cancer Treatment (11): Patient Perspectivesby Alta Bates Summit Medical Center183 views
- 8:42 Extreme Plastic Surgeryby priyanka queen584,359 views
- 7:03 Intervention chirurgicale d´un tumeur du poumonby Pape Mor Lo22,589 views
- 10:23 Shaukat Khanum Cancer Hospital Documentary 2010by InsafActionTV24,354 views
- 15:14 Minimally Invasive Procedure for Hemorrhoids.3gpby atharva0106201069,719 views
- 9:31 Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery (MISS) Part 3: Surgeryby CoordinatedHealthTV16,903 views
- 7:37 Living with Lung Cancer - Surgeryby Roycastle Lungcancer3,163 views
- 3:26 Robotic Lung Cancer Surgery - South Miami Hospital Center for Robotic Surgeryby baptisthealthsf854 views
- 10:20 Introduction to Lung Cancer Surgery - Treatmentby swedishseattle717 views
- 13:59 Knee: Minimally Invasive Total Knee Replacement Surgery Part 1by HuskyOrthopaedics98,960 views