Mughal E Azam - Mohe Panghat Pe
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 23, 2007
She is no Dancing Diva, but such a beautiful one (just look at her at 2:57/8) that all is forgiven :)
This is a MUST HAVE film for all Hindi film buffs. It is a veritable poetry in motion and comes together just so beautifully.
Came across a lovely piece on the www -
Here's an excerpt:
Source: Filmfare 1994
Author: Roshmila Mukherjee
Madhubala was an unforgettable Anarkali. And her portrayal of Radha in "mohe panghat pe nandala chhed gayo re" continues to mesmerise movie-goers. Surprisingly, the song was almost edited out. "It's bakwas.. it'll ruin the film," thundered noted director Vijay Bhatt after the recording. "Why show Akbar celebrating Lord Krishna's birth?"
Music director Naushad argued that with Jodhabai present in the Mughal court, it wasn't all that illogical. After discussions with the panel of script writers, a line was incorporated in Anarkali's introduction scene to Prince Salim. A courtier was made to say "Aaj Krishna janmashtami hai aur Radha ke liye Anarkali theek rahegi." The song went on to become piece-de-resistance.
K.Asif wanted the best choreographer for the song. Naushad suggested Lachchu Maharaj. And the great Kathak exponent burst into tears the minute he heard the song. Asif was baffled. "Why is he crying," he asked Naushad. "Tell him to start dancing."
Naushad took the dancer aside and asked him why he was weeping. Lachchu Maharaj confided that his father, Alkaji Bindadin, had been Nawab Wajid Ali Shah's darbari dancer. And "mohe panghat pe nandalal" with nawab playing Krishna, was his favourite composition. "Hearing the number after all these years, I was overwhelmed. It reminded me of baba".
It took Lachchu Maharaj five days to choreograph the number. His Radha was lovely... but she was no classical dancer. So the camera would zoom in on Madhubala for the close-ups. And one of Lachhu Maharaj's boys doubled for the actress in the long shots. On every one of those five days, there was an important visitor from across the border on the sets - Zulfikar Ali Bhutto. He would drive down from Worli to Mohan Studio and spend the day there raptly watching the song being picturised.
Standard YouTube License
- 5:44 Mughal - E - Azam - Jab Raat Hai Aisi Matwali - Lata Mangeshkar - Chorusby Shemaroo Featured 321,515
- 2:35:05 Ghar Ho To Aisaby Goldmines Telefilms283,201 views
- 6:28 Pyar Kiya To Darna Kya - Madhubala - Dilip Kumar - Mughal-E-Azam - Bollywood Classic Songs - Lataby Filmi Gaane874,735 views
- 6:06 Mughal - E - Azam - Pyar Kiya To Darna Kya - Lata Mangeshkarby Shemaroo3,151,317 views
- 10:00 Madhubala biographyby raslam90396,956 views
- 10:34 Sunil Dutt in Jeena Ishe Ka Naam Hai Part 3 of 8.Farooq Shaikh as hostby MrPakfaisal68,406 views
- 10 videos Play all Bollywood Mujra Songsby ShemarooEnt
- 8:06 rare video ( mughal e azam. ) premiere 1960by bigvcr150,931 views
- 5:12 Teri Mehfil Mein - Qawwali - Madhubala - Mughal-E-Azam - Lata - Shamshad Begumby Filmi Gaane599,338 views
- 8:43 Mughal - E- Azam: Ye Dil Ki Lagi Kum Kya Hogiby minamanjari665,254 views
- 6:52 Pakeezah - Thade Rahiyo O Baanke Yaar - Lata Mangeshkarby Shemaroo400,506 views
- 7:05 Amrapali - Neel Gagan Ki Chhaon Meinby Talaikya1366,557 views
- 5:34 nhảy múa hiện đại CHẮP CÁNH ƯỚC MƠby ieu9b4ever522,702 views
- 8:14 "MADHUBAN ME RADHIKA NACHE RE,GIRIDHAR KI MURALIYA BAZE RE"BY MOHD.RAFI,M.D:NAUSHAD-"KOHINOOR 1960"by amitajai203,382 views
- 4:57 Dil Ke Armaan (Nikaah 1982)by Bombay Talkies237,961 views
- 4:19 Lag Jaa Gale - Sadhana, Lata Mangeshkar, Woh Kaun Thi Songby Ultra Hindi5,356,258 views
- 7:58 O rey chori Lagaan english subtitles - A Jealous Woman - Full clipby Sweeney Wong795,396 views
- 3:37 Mughal - E - Azam - Khuda Nigehbaan Ho Tumhara - Lata Mangeshkarby Shemaroo576,393 views
- 4:48 Mughal - E - Azam - Teri Mehfil Mein Qismat - Lata Mangeshkar - Shamshad Begum - Chorusby Shemaroo1,510,101 views
- 4:44 Pakeezah - Mausam Hain Ashikaana - Lata Mangeshkarby Shemaroo786,799 views