Published on Feb 6, 2013
A great and funny album. R.I.P. Allan Sherman
While Weird Al Yankovic hadn't even went to preschool yet, Jewish parodist Allan Sherman was already successful with his song parodies where he turned old folk songs and a few songs from the 1930s, and a few newer songs, into funny songs which helped depict the Jewish culture, even gaining fans like President John F Kennedy! Before that he was a TV producer for CBS, creating two game shows.
In 1963, Allan Sherman recorded his third LP, entitled "My Son, The Nut". However, instead of depicting the Jewish culture, Allan made his parodies became more generic, and depicted the American lifestyle. This LP became his biggest success, holding the top spot on the Billboard Top 200 for nearly two months, from August 31 to October 25, 1963. It stayed on the charts for 140 weeks and sold 1.2 million copies.
However, the biggest hit on the album is "Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah". Which was based on letters of complaint Allan received from his son Robert while Robert attended Camp Champlain in Westport, New York. The song complains about the fictional "Camp Granada" and is set to the tune of Amilcare Ponchielli's "Dance of the Hours". The song scored at #2 on the Billboard charts, and even inspired a board game and a book.
Song title and song that was parodied in the parenthesis.
1. You Went The Wrong Way, Old King Louie (La Marseillaise; Peter Gunn Theme; You Came A Long Way From St. Louie) (0:00)
2. Automation (Fascination) (3:26)
3. I See Bones (C'est Si Bon) (6:46)
4. Hungarian Goulash (Brahms Hungarian Dance No. 5) (10:01)
5. Headaches (Heartaches) (12:35)
6. Here's To The Crabgrass (Country Gardens) (15:28)
1. Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah (Dance Of The Hours) (18:46)
2. One Hippopotami (What Kind Of Fool Am I?) (21:36)
3. Rat Fink (Rag Mop) (25:07)
4. You're Getting To Be A Rabbit With Me (You're Getting To Be A Habit With Me) (27:26)
5. Eight Foot Two, Solid Blue (Five Foot Two, Eyes Of Blue) (29:18)
6. Hail To Thee, Fat Person (31:41)
Standard YouTube License