UKIP - Lord Hesketh on Formula One, Aviation and the EU
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Mar 18, 2012
Lord Alexander Hesketh is the most senior Conservative Party politician to date to join UKIP.
He had held a number of positions within the governments of Margaret Thatcher and John Major, including Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State - Department of Environment (1989-1990) and Minister of State - Department of Trade and Industry (1990-1991).
In May 1991 he was appointed Chief Whip in the House of Lords by John Major, a position he held for nearly two-and-a-half years.
He was Treasurer of the Conservative Party between 2003 and 2004. Between 2003 and 2010 he was Chairman of the Conservative Party Foundation.
Outside of politics, Lord Hesketh has a love of motor racing and in 1972 launched Hesketh Racing which saw success in Formula One between 1973 and 1978 with British racing driver James Hunt. He also founded Hesketh Motorcycles which set up a purpose built factory in Daventry in 1982 to build the Hesketh V1000 motorcycles. In 1994 Lord Hesketh helped set up British Mediterranean Airways (BMED) and served as Executive Chairman of the new airline. In 2007, BMED was purchased by BMI.
Lord Hesketh is the owner and executive chairman of Towcester racecourse. He also serves as an independent director of Air Astana, the national carrier of Kazakhstan.
In November 2010 he resigned from his position as Deputy Chairman at engineering group Babcock International after saying that the Royal Navy's aircraft carrier programme was "about to turn into a classic British disaster". Babcock is building the carriers at its shipyard in Rosyth.
Lord Hesketh was reported as saying a quicker and cheaper solution would have been to adapt the RAF's current fleet of Typhoon aircraft for work at sea, but he claimed this was less lucrative for BAE.
He had held the position of Deputy Chairman for fourteen years, before which he was a non-executive for three years.
Lord Hesketh will be launching a fundraising club for UKIP and will be acting as a spokesman on matters of defence procurement.
Lord Hesketh said: "I have been a Conservative all my adult life but the recent decision by the Prime Minister to rule out a referendum on EU membership has angered me greatly. On this, and many other matters, UKIP's views chime with mine and I am delighted to join the party which is fast becoming a real force in British politics."
The V-crew disclaimer: The producers of this video do not neccessarily agree with part or all of the views contained therein. The v-crew videos are presented for educational purposes only.
Standard YouTube License
- 58:48 BBC Question Time 2 May 2013 (2/5/13) Dartford FULL EPISODEby QuestionTimeBBC10,232 views
- 10:46 Overcrowded Britain - Part 1 of 2by ukipwebmaster42,970 views
- 2:48 Hesketh Racing and Alexander Hesketh (When Playboys Ruled the World)by George Feat3,600 views
- 14:37 The end of the "End of the Empire" Trev Deeley's Vancouver British bike display.by 441rider1,185 views
- 15:16 Our nation is under occupationby ukipwebmaster954 views
- 11:00 Nigel Farage wins Lisbon debate in Dublinby europarl47,916 views
- 14:49 Nigel Farage: Chyceni v ekonomické pasti (Trapped inside EU)by REFORMYcz139,430 views
- 4:43 UKIP Nigel Farage on Baroness Warsi insult - BBC local elections results (04May12).flvby ukipmedia34,319 views
- 2:03 Ford GT40 MKIIby PayneBrawley15,429 views
- 14:34 UKIP Nigel Farage MEP and Irish Gay Mitchell MEP debate Irelands EU membershipby ukipmedia15,152 views
- 6:58 The UKIP Springby ukipwebmaster3,044 views
- 6:42 All your data and people 'are' belong to usby ukipwebmaster675 views
- 8:43 Green bigotry vs UKIP common senseby ukipwebmaster9,159 views
- 2:38 Onboard Laps of Roy Hesketh - Birkin 7by Stuart Woolley1,066 views
- 3:36 UKIP election breakthrough!by ukipwebmaster4,255 views
- 1:38 Hesketh V1000 in ogano japanby takehiko nanbu4,220 views
- 14:33 An Acceleration Toward War and Our Failure to See Through Obamaby WikiIntelNews2,598 views
- 12:41 UKIP Nigel Farage - Scottish independence impossible if they remain in the the EU - Sep 2012by ukipmedia24,541 views
- 1:57 UKIP are not Tory or Labourby ukipwebmaster2,933 views
- 5:01 Building on success - What's next for UKIPby ukipwebmaster2,271 views
- Loading more suggestions...