1200 Buildings - 490 Spencer Street, West Melbourne | City of Melbourne
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 26, 2011
Find Out More: http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/1200b...
490 Spencer Street is a small office building that packs a big punch when it comes to energy efficiency. The building has undergone an integrated retrofit to reduce building energy consumption and the tenants play an active role in managing operational efficiency. Solar photo voltaic can supply up to 100 per cent of the building's power depending on the amount of sunlight available and energy required.
-- Transcript --
490 SPENCER STREET -- DR. DAVE COLLINS
Four-ninety Spencer Street is an old tilt slab construction, concrete building, it had almost no insulation when we started, it had single-glazing, it had west facing windows, no north facing windows, it was pretty much a design that said 'do everything worst' and that's what we've got. We run a consulting company here called 'Synergetics Environmental Engineering' when we were confronted with the opportunity to create a green building, we thought 'yeah, we can do that'. We call this the 'green spaces'. By virtue of its name it attracted people off the streets, we did absolutely zero advertising for tenants. People want to be part of something that's useful and fun and gives them opportunities to work with other interesting people, I think that's the objective, and I think there's a different paradigm. Rather than sort of creating this thing off the production line 'hey, here's a green building, everyone move in' it's more about, 'hey, let's work together and see what we can create'. The '1200 Buildings' objective is to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. That's a very nice fit for us, and when the City of Melbourne contacted us about joining them we were, you know, very keen. So I think the first step is getting, if you like, your tenants onboard, because at the end of the day a green building has to be operated in a green way to achieve it's sustainability outcomes. Every building has it's own quirks, it'll be oriented differently, it'll be different building construction materials, and so what we've got to do is actually look at the context, and saying 'okay, let's start that journey'. The benefits of having a green building are enormous financially; we've at least tripled the income from this building. We're about six months into our twelve months assessment of the performance of the building and so far we've got between sixty and eighty per-cent reduction in our per-person energy consumption, and of course that makes it a lot easier than to use renewable energy, because you don't need so many PV cells to offset that. If you've got a two or three storey building then you should be able to get a zero emissions with a little bit of work and not much money. Any building owner, who wants to improve their income and do the right thing by the environment, should consider a green building.
Standard YouTube License
- 12:36 How to build a Pole Buildingby Craig Heffernan150,041 views
- 9:09 ICF CONSTRUCTION...BOISE, IDAHO GREEN CUSTOM HOMES -WWW.ENER-TEKIDAHO.COMby Meridian836465,129 views
- 3:53 Natural gas fuel cell generates power, heats water for homes, saves on CO2 emissionsby bigmarkoh12,437 views
- 17:54 how to make energy efficient house - how to save electricity at homeby Andre Miller404 views
- 10:03 #5 V/Line action at Spencer Street in the early 1990'sby mick7070885 views
- 6:26 5 Systems For Healthy, Energy-Efficient Homesby GreenBuildingAdvisor9,075 views
- 4:59 Trade Secrets - Build an Energy Efficient Home - Part 1by Trade Secrets3,313 views
- 3:54 Year 2000 Train Ride Spencer St To Richmond Station 8.4.2000by Gezza1967674 views
- 9:23 Energy efficient home ideas - Thornborough SuperHomeby SEASuperhomes807 views
- 5:54 Making A Top Energy Efficient Homeby TheGreenEconomy4,741 views
- 2:16 1200 Buildings - 530 Collins Street, Melbourne | City of Melbourneby MelbourneCityCouncil987 views
- 8:19 Michael Green: The beauty and impact of a wooden skyscraperby TEDTalentSearch4,309 views
- 4:11 Reward 2 ICF Construction Processby RewardWallSystems35,892 views
- 17:51 The largest building in the world: New Century Global Center in Chengduby GoChengdoo622,601 views
- 18:03 Building Popsicle Mansion Time Lapseby TheMrFinneth1,951,636 views
- 4:57 Cab View for ALCOholics : Australian trainsby Rod Williams34,029 views
- 5:13 Dr. RetroFit Addresses Historic Building Retrofitsby Rocky Mountain Institute598 views
- 1:55 1200 Buildings - 131 Queen Street, Melbourne | City of Melbourneby MelbourneCityCouncil438 views
- 6:55 Dudley Street, Footscray, Victoria, West Melbourne, Victoria New Bridge 4 heavy transportby craig membrey99 views
- 7:47 St Mary Star of the Sea Restoration - Part 1 of 3by MustardTV12,276 views
- Loading more suggestions...