Let It Whip - The Dazz Band (1982)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 19, 2011
"Let It Whip" was a 1982 single by The Dazz Band and their biggest hit, peaking at number one on the R&B chart for five non-consecutive weeks. The single also reached number two on the Dance chart and number five on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. The song won the Grammy Award for Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals in 1983. Co-written by producer Reggie Andrews, "Let It Whip" features a percolating drum machine rhythm underneath live drums, and a Minimoog bassline. The Dazz Band were a former American funk music band that was most popular in the early 1980s. The name of the band is a portmanteau of the description 'danceable jazz'. The Dazz Band, formed in 1976, grew out of the Cleveland, Ohio jazz fusion band Bell Telefunk, composed of lead guitarist/songwriter Mike Calhoun, percussionist Kenny Pettus, drummer Isaac 'Ike' Wiley, Jr., and his brother bassist Michael Wiley, and the band Mother Braintree. The new combined group became known as The Kinsman Dazz, named after both the street and the lounge where they worked as the house band, Sonny Jones' Kinsman Grill Lounge. The group adopted its name before the song "Dazz" became an R&B hit for Atlanta band Brick in 1976. The Kinsman Dazz were signed to 20th Century Records by Joe Lewis in 1978. The group went to Los Angeles to record for producer Marvin Gaye. Owing to illness, Gaye had to back out of the duties. Harris requested and got Philip Bailey, the vocalist of Earth, Wind & Fire, to produce the group's first album, "Kinsman Dazz". Bailey would co-produce their second album, "Dazz", and had a major input into the group's vocal arrangements. The Kinsman Dazz became The Dazz Band in 1980. Separately, the 20th Century Records label was closed, and The Dazz Band were signed to Motown Records. The group expanded from the original quintet — Harris, Calhoun, Pettus, and the Wiley brothers — with newcomers Kevin Kendrick, Steve Cox, Eric Fearman, Pierre DeMudd, Sonny 'Skip' Martin, Jerry Bell and Terry Stanton. This channel is dedicated to all the great 'old school' R&B music I grew up with, the stuff that originally made me tap my feet and want to be a DJ. Funk, soul, disco, R&B, dance, hip-hop, pop . . . 60s, 70s, 80s . . . whatever you call it, it's all 'Old School' and it's all here!
See my videos featuring the Roots of Rap at:
If you like relaxing with some classic Cool Jazz, go to:
To explore the world of The DJ Cafe, go to:
If you love jamming to some great Classic Rock, check out:
Check out my newer music videos and other fun stuff at:
Check out my news videography stuff at:
Also, check out my youngest daughter (the world's youngest video producer) at:
And coming in June 2011 . . .
DJ Buddy Love presents LONGEVITY . . .
A world record club DJ mixing marathon charity event . . .
121 hours nonstop to benefit cancer research . . .
Live to the world via UStream, Facebook, YouTube & Twitter . . .
More details coming soon . . .
Copyright 1982 Motown Records
All Rights Reserved
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Let It Whip" on
- 42 videos Play all YouTube Mix - Let It Whip - The Dazz Band (1982)
- 5:39 Brick - Dazz (12 Inch Version)by soulbrothanumbahone Featured 23,318
- 5:22 Gap Band - Humpin'by Pierre Richard237,730 views
- 3:48 Lakeside - Fantastic Voyage Official Videoby UnidiscMusic1,467,937 views
- 6:23 A Lover's Holiday - Change (1980)by djbuddyloveoldschool113,358 views
- 2:20 Soul Train Line Let It Whip Dazz Band.mpgby steve3ri240,613 views
- 9:26 More Bounce To The Ounce - Zapp (1980)by djbuddyloveoldschool124,354 views
- 7:44 Gap Band - Early In The Morning (12" Version)by Pierre Richard516,966 views
- 4:52 Kool & the Gang - Get Down On Itby zac deffos6,422,633 views
- 5:29 One Way - Cutie Pieby Granuhha1,554,414 views
- 200 videos Play all ANNEES 70by NokomisNahima
- 4:07 Dazz Band - Let It Whipby BrownPriderFunk2103,981 views
- 6:12 Fantastic Voyage - Lakeside (1980)by djbuddyloveoldschool138,877 views
- 5:10 The Gap Band -- Burn Rubber On Me [[ Official Video ]] HDby georgios milonas112,469 views
- 6:10 Dukey Stick - George Duke (1978)by 1mistaGROOVE78,674 views
- 5:44 Dazz Band - Joy Stick - Live Performanceby wolf320d80,644 views
- 8:24 Holy Ghost [Original Extended Mix] - The Bar-Kays (1978)by djbuddyloveoldschool74,742 views
- 3:57 The Dazz Band-JOYSTICKby arnie78g352,378 views
- 5:36 Brick - Dazz (1976)by cirrusmajor983,930 views
- 7:28 The Grooveline (1978)by dantoine931,544,173 views
- 2:56 Bernie Mac - Two Best Conversations Ever!by kford003268,319 views