On the Limit DVD
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 5, 2011
"Superb, rare footage" Autosport
Motorsport comes in many different guises, but what all the forms have in common is drivers who are 'on the limit'. This magnificent collection of three archive films from the BP Video Library brings us racetrack action from the 1950s as stars of Grand Prix, touring car and sports car racing show us what it truly means to be On the Limit!
The first film, On the Limit, is not only packed with thrilling action, it's also an important piece of motorsport history. The classic colour footage captures the Production Touring Car race held as part of the 1958 British Grand Prix -- this was one of the first races from the inaugural season what we know today as the British Touring Car Championship. There are 21 starters for the 17-lap dice, with a field made up of Jaguars, Austins, Rileys, MGs and more. The fact these are almost standard showroom models makes the wheel-to-wheel racing and breathtaking power slides all the more remarkable. The race is all about the Jags of Tommy Sopwith and American sportscar star Walter Hansgen, but a supporting cast including Jack Sears, John Sprinzel, Jeff Uren and Bob Gerrard ensures it is a thrill-packed contest. There's a wonderful opportunity to enjoy some early slow-motion footage as we watch these road-going cars sliding through the corners at Silverstone, leaving thick clouds of smoke - and thick lines of rubber - as they power on.
Next we travel to Northern Ireland's Dundrod circuit for The RAC International Tourist Trophy 1955. The black-and-white film shows a classic encounter between Britain's small but hardy Jaguar squad and the mighty machine of Germany's Mercedes team. Mike Hawthorn is the undoubted hero of Jag's two-car entry, driving his D-Type fully on the limit in a desperate bid to stay close to the leading Mercedes 300SLR. It is a staggering demonstration, but ultimately futile as the Jaguar ground to a halt with the chequered flag in sight. Jaguar hopes had always been slim against a Mercedes team which featured Juan Manuel Fangio, Karl Kling, Wolfgang von Trips and the simply astounding Stirling Moss, who, on his 26th birthday, delivered a driving masterclass to secure his third TT win. While we witness the rewards on offer for driving on the limit, we are also reminded of the tragic results of going beyond that limit as drivers pay the ultimate price on the 7.5-mile course.
Finally, we have a short but charming black-and-white film transporting us back to 1950 for the International Race Meeting at Goodwood. In teeming rain there are three races, culminating in the non-championship Grand Prix for the coveted Goodwood Trophy. Among the stars featured are Stirling Moss, Prince Bira, Duncan Hamilton and Reg Parnell, whose on the limit style doesn't let a little wet weather stop him giving BRM its first win and claiming the trophy for third time!
"This short but spectacular three-film combo features an eclectic mix of 1950s action: the British Saloon Car Championship race at the Silverstone British GP meeting in '58, the final RAC Tourist Trophy at Dundrod in '55 and the Goodwood Trophy meeting at the Sussex venue in '50. Superb, rare footage" Autosport
Standard YouTube License
- 14:30 Group B Worship: Ford RS200 and Audi Sport Quattro - /CHRIS HARRIS ON CARSby /DRIVE Featured 693,230
- 3:15 The Right Lineby Duke Video19,868 views
- 3:07 Romulus Returns to Siamby Duke Video3,874 views
- 2:54 Jaguar at Le Mans 1954-58by Duke Video8,081 views
- 3:21 Peak Performer - The Mk3 Ford Cortinaby Duke Video19,407 views
- 9:50 Thruxton 1970by roydpg21,964 views
- 10:02 Shifters USA: '68 Camaro vs. '55 chevy $2,000 to win stick car race!by shiftersusa104,328 views
- 9:34 Motogiro d'Italia 1955 Emilio Mendogniby F0G5TER15,160 views
- 1:31:05 TX2K13 "The Movie" Streets of Houston, Texas drag racing 2013 Full Eventby Wyldfantasies283,159 views
- 2:48 1971 British Saloon Cars Crystal Palaceby mscheeres18,828 views
- 15:08 CAMORADI USA Le Mans/Sebring 1960 - Fred K. Gamble - Part 1by CaptainVegas007817 views
- 2:57 BSCC Crystal Palace 1964by BMWizardofOz165,938 views
- 27:13 Hotrods & Racing Cars : Ingenuity in Action - 1950's Educational Film - S88TV1by Tomorrow Always Comes1,107 views
- 6:22 6 Peoples Reactions to the CRAZY 900hp 3Dx Evoby 1320video13,344,364 views
- 9:49 1963 LA Times Grand Prix - Winner Dave MacDonald in Shelby King Cobra-1by DaveMacDonaldNet14,062 views
- 11:55 INSANE DRAG RACING CRASHES AND WHEELSTANDSby urbanhillbilly4,538,102 views
- 10:09 SCCA Sportscar Races Summer 1956 - Arcata Airportby TeamRobbie5,289 views
- 4:56 colin mcrae's best wrc momentsby Crazyboy3OOO127,254 views
- 10:49 1950's saloon race at Brands Hatch, 2008.by SSL88717,781 views
- 7:32 Bathurst 1960 1964by MotorsportVids6,844 views
- Loading more suggestions...