This video is unavailable.
iPhone Application Developer... and 6th Grader: Thomas Suarez at TEDxManhattanBeach
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 7, 2011
Thomas Suarez is a 6th grade student at a middle school in the South Bay of Los Angeles. When Apple released the Software Development Kit (SDK), he began to create and sell his own applications. "My parents, my friends and even the people at the Apple store all supported me," he says, "and Steve Jobs inspired me". Thomas points out that it's hard to learn how to make an app. "For soccer you could go to a soccer team ... but what if you want to make an app?" He's started a club for fellow students at school, where he shares his knowledge of programming. Thomas articulates his vision that students are a valuable new technology resource to teachers, and should be empowered to offer assistance in developing the technology curriculum and also assist in delivering the lessons.
Thomas has been fascinated by computers and technology since before kindergarten. Recently, he's been focused on the development of applications for the iPhone, and has established his own company, CarrotCorp http://www.carrotcorp.com/. His most successful application is one he terms "an anti-Justin-Bieber game" called "Bustin Jieber". "It's is a variation on the Whac-a-Mole theme," he explains. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bustin...
More information about TEDxManhattanBeach can be found at http://tedxmanhattanbeach.com/. Follow us on Twitter @TEDxMB
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TED has created a program called TEDx. TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. Our event is called TEDxManhattanBeach, where x = independently organized TED event. At our TEDxManhattanBeach event, TEDTalks video and live speakers will combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events, including ours, are self-organized.
Standard YouTube License
Next in TEDxManhattanBeach - 10/22/11
- 15:00 Why you will fail to have a great career: Larry Smith at TEDxUWby TEDxTalks 755,133 views
- 5:22 What's Wrong With Our Food System: Birke Baehr at TEDxNextGenerationAshevilleby TEDxTalks 1,169,875 views
- 4:28 How To Use One Paper Towel: Joe Smith at TEDxConcordiaUPortlandby TEDxTalks 796,022 views
- 18:11 Forget What You Know: Jacob Barnett at TEDxTeenby TEDxTalks 1,287,511 views
- 17:57 How To Find And Do Work You Love: Scott Dinsmore at TEDxGoldenGatePark (2D)by TEDxTalks 477,871 views
- 11:50 TEDxManhattanBeach - John Bennett - Why Math Instruction Is Unnecessaryby TEDxTalks 76,625 views
- 9:51 Why we procrastinate by Vik Nithy @ TEDxYouth@TheScotsCollegeby TEDxTalks 291,657 views
- 19:20 TEDxAsheville - Adam Baker - Sell your crap. Pay your debt. Do what you love.by TEDxTalks 272,129 views
- 13:21 TEDxRyersonU - Dr. Ivan Joseph - The Skill of Self Confidenceby TEDxTalks 174,059 views
- 10:09 Is life really that complex?: Hannah Fry at TEDxUCLby TEDxTalks 219,370 views
- 11:14 Hackschooling Makes Me Happy: Logan LaPlante at TEDxUniversityofNevadaby TEDxTalks 269,164 views
- 9:46 TEDxMIA - Scott Rickard - The World's Ugliest Musicby TEDxTalks 295,170 views
- 18:03 TEDxFiDiWomen - Lissa Rankin - The Shocking Truth About Your Healthby TEDxTalks 275,980 views
- 23:02 TEDxVancouver - Nardwuar - Do It Yourself!by TEDxTalks 192,024 views
- 17:08 TEDxMaastricht - Simon Sinek - "First why and then trust"by TEDxTalks 204,687 views
- 16:41 TEDxFiDiWomen - Gabrielle Bernstein - How To Be A Miracle Workerby TEDxTalks 139,066 views
- 17:48 Self Control: Dan Ariely at TEDxDukeby TEDxTalks 105,032 views
- 9:37 TEDxOrangeCoast - Amy Purdy - Living Beyond Limitsby TEDxTalks 405,955 views
- 17:47 Minding Your Mitochondria: Dr. Terry Wahls at TEDxIowaCityby TEDxTalks 1,317,094 views