Harvard professor Clayton Christensen, disruptive innovation and higher education
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 24, 2012
Renowned Harvard business professor and acclaimed author Clayton Christensen addressed the Higher Education Appropriations Subcommittee this morning in the Senate building at the Utah Capitol. A Utah native, Christensen is a world-renowned expert on how disruptive technologies alter entire industries.
Drawing instructive comparisons with the steel and technology sectors, Christensen specifically addressed the disruptions taking place in higher education and how legislators can work with higher ed to help it adapt and better educate students. Christensen said online learning is an essential component in the disruption that is taking place in education, an industry that has been highly resistant to disruption previous to the fairly recent advances in online learning.
For example, Christensen explains how the current model of education is integrated from top to bottom, meaning if you want to change one part of the model, you have to change the other parts of the model to fit. Using technology, education can move to a modular model in which a student can take a particular course, taught by the best professor in the world, and get credit for that course. Instead of accrediting only institutions, accreditation organizations would accredit individual courses. The student thereby receives the best, most appropriate education without the limitations and burdensome requirements of a linear, integrated education.
Christensen encourages higher ed institutions to become hybrids, offering both on-campus and online courses, noting that this move would "extend their runway" and help them to enhance their effectiveness and maintain their competitiveness in an increasingly open and à la carte education environment. Increasingly, the focus will be, as it should, on helping students meet their individual needs instead of requiring students to follow a rigid factory model.
Standard YouTube License
- 29:12 7 Skills students need for their futureby asiasocietyFeatured 226,672
- 3:01 Capitol Daily Recap: January 24, 2012by sutherlandinstitute 142 views
- 5:30 Tour of the Utah State Capitol During a Legislative Sessionby sutherlandinstitute 233 views
- 2:01 Capitol Daily Recap: January 23, 2012by sutherlandinstitute 129 views
- 1:52 Capitol Daily Recap: January 25, 2012by sutherlandinstitute 96 views
- 1:20:36 Dr. Clayton Christensen discusses disruption in higher educationby AcademicPartnerships 2,392 views
- 29:32 Davos 2013 - An Insight, An Idea with Clayton Christensenby WorldEconomicForum 3,005 views
- 1:04:24 How to Negotiate Your Job Offer - Prof. Deepak Malhotra (Harvard Business School)by Deepak Malhotra 36,661 views
- 1:02:33 Davos 2013 - Leading Through Adversity (TIME Debate)by WorldEconomicForum 1,941 views
- 50:35 'The Capitalist Dilemma: Disruptive Technology in a Recovering Economy,' with Clayton Christensenby University of Virginia School of Law 1,274 views
- 31:30 Startup Grind 2013 Clayton Christensen Interview w/ Mark Susterby StartupGrind 16,467 views
- 8:32 How to Spot Disruptive Innovation Opportunitiesby HarvardBusiness 44,136 views
- 4:16 Innovate by Looking for Problem Patternsby HarvardBusiness 7,284 views
- 1:15:13 "Find Your Passion, Find Your Purpose"by soccvideo 21,704 views
- 1:31:26 Clayton Christensen "Be the Disruptor" | Nieman Foundationby Harvard 1,839 views
- 55:55 Steve Jobs - Disruptive Innovation Documentary - One Last thing (HD - Full Length)by theinnovatorchannel 19,543 views
- 1:05:56 Top 10 Mistakes Made by Entrepreneursby stanfordbusiness 284,692 views
- 9:37 PCT 2009: Clayton Christensen, Part 2by Partnerships Clinical Trials 631 views
- 19:31 How Will You Measure Your Life? Clay Christensen at TEDxBostonby TEDxTalks 123,759 views
- 3:20 Clayton Christensen on Winners and Losers in the Next Economyby bigthink 2,731 views
- Loading more suggestions...