Published on Mar 6, 2014
Join us for episode 6 of Discover Performance Weekly for confessions with CIOs. HP Software evangelist and VP of Strategic Marketing, Paul Muller (@xthestreams), sits down with former CIO and now CIO advisor, Tim Crawford (@tcrawford), and CIO of Box, Ben Haines (@bhaines0). HP Autonomy's VP of Strategic Marketing, Brian Weiss (@bd_weiss) also joins the conversation to discuss skills needed to lead a large IT group.
The group discusses the Discover Performance article, CIO 'confessions': 5 critical attributes of IT leaders found at http://h30458.www3.hp.com/us/us/disco....
In this episode, you will hear the group discuss topics like:
- Confessions of CIOs (2:00)
- CIOs are willing to bet the farm (3:00)
- When to question the status quo (5:00)
- Best leaders stepped up to answer the business call (6:25)
- Making the tough decisions (8:30)
- How important is it to build a good network of peers? (11:00)
What are the steps to get to the CIO position? (12:00)
- Have a mentor
- Focus on business issues instead of technology
- Get out a talk: speak at events, connect with a network
- If you want to figure out what you don't know, present. Present at events!
- Find the balance of the subject matter and managing the execs you report to
- Communicate and be diligent
- Invest in the next generation
This week's tips of the week covered:
Tim - "HMG Strategy: Building the Strongest CIO Network on the Planet" http://www.hmgstrategy.com/Default.asp
Brian -- Keep the sword sharp; Take time to know your technology.
Ben -- Get into the business, engage with business peers and test the innovation water with start-ups.
Paul -- Book: The First Days http://www.amazon.com/The-First-90-Da...
For more videos, find us at http://www.hp.com/go/backstage.
To receive the Discover Performance eZine directly to your email, please subscribe here: http://hpsw.co/Xa53LtD