Today is Defriend Day (on Facebook)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 4, 2011
Facebook has rapidly become such a large part of most people's lives that many have often neglected to notice the vast social implications of this new media. One of those implications often overlooked is the fact that most people have dozens, sometimes hundreds of "friends" on their Facebook "friends" list who aren't really their friend, or even an acquaintance or anyone they are ever going to see in real life ever again.
A lot of the "friends" on people's "friends" list are, in fact, total strangers who they met once and who happened to send them a friend request for any number of reasons. (If you're an attractive girl, then no doubt countless guys have "friended" you hoping to get into your pants and have enjoyed spending countless amounts of time going through your entire online life). Of course, you didn't want to be rude and "deny" most of these friend requests. After all, you have several mutual "friends" with these people, as Facebook conveniently points out to you.
So you accepted these people's friend requests, perhaps a long time ago, and you have now forgotten all about them until just now. Some of these people haven't forgotten about you. Some of these people harbor secret crushes on you, and read every single status update you post; they have learned what you like and what you don't like; they have eyed over every inch of your page; and some have probably masturbated while looking at photos you posted of yourself on Facebook.
Creeped out yet? It's time you start thinking about Facebook a little differently then, and now is the time to begin taking a few simple steps by cleaning up your Facebook "friends" list. This is the perfect time to remove a few people (perhaps even a few dozen or even hundreds of people) from your "friends" list. Blame it on Defriend Day. It's today (no matter what day you're reading this). You're excused. It's OK. Go and do it right now since you're online reading this. Countless others have already done the same.
Of course, some people like collecting "friends" (fans) so they probably have stopped reading this by now and can't even fathom the point of this, but if you're still with me, then please help spread the word about Defriend Day by posting this article (or the YouTube video) on your Facebook page.
Facebook is so much more than most people think it is. There are numerous cases of people's homes being burglarized because they posted a status update saying they were going away for a week, and as a result some scumbag on their "friends" list who friended them at some point in the last few years, breaks into their house and robs them while they're gone. There are also numerous reports of police going online and looking at their local students' Facebook pages and then tracking some of them down and arresting them for underage drinking after using the students' Facebook photos as the evidence.
While Facebook is touted as "social media," it has largely supplemented actual social relationships, and in many cases stunted actual friendships and replaced them with the pseudo relationship that Facebook often brings. The website also functions as a narcissistic catalyst facilitating extreme levels of self-absorption and self-promotion.
To remove someone from your "friends" list you must go to that person's Facebook page and on the bottom left you will find a hyperlink that reads Unfriend. Simply click this, approve the unfriend, and it's done. That person no longer has access to your Facebook page, as long as your privacy settings are set to "friends only." Happy Defriend Day!
My name is Mark Dice, and I wrote this Defriend Day article. I'm also the author of a new book that details, not only Facebook's dangers, but also a variety of other even more important issues regarding how our lives are on the verge of turning into something literally worse than the dystopian world described by George Orwell in his famous novel, Nineteen Eighty-Four.
My book is called Big Brother: The Orwellian Nightmare Come True, if you are interested in learning more. (Available only at Infowars.com) More and more frequently we hear comparisons made between what we see in the news and what we experience in our own reality, and the world described by George Orwell in his book Nineteen Eighty-Four. I too, have been making these comparisons for years, and have compiled over 300 pages of them from mainstream news sources, trade journals, U.S. patent applications, and expert testimony.
I'll show you the scary documentation that Big Brother is watching you, and is more powerful than you could imagine. While my book certainly is scary, it is not as scary as the world we're going to live in pretty soon if people don't get educated and involved in shaping our rapidly changing human experience.
Thank you, and down with Big Brother!
Standard YouTube License
- 9:38 Zombie Americans have forgotten why 4th of July is a holiday!!!by Mark Dice Featured 196,200
- 2:58 Buying a 99¢ taco with 1 ounce gold coin (worth $1400)by Mark Dice130,411 views
- 9:54 How to Get More Facebook Friend Requestsby Terry Petrovick35,224 views
- 8:41 la verité de FACEBOOK c'est tres grave !! YouTubeby POURQUI11,810,954 views
- 5:10 Andrew Garfield talks 'Facebook friends' vs 'real friends' in this interview for The Social Networkby BlackTree TV45,582 views
- 3:28 CBS News 8 - Mark Dice Heckles Black Friday Shoppers with Megaphoneby Mark Dice31,093 views
- 5:22 Radiation :Cordless (DECT) Phone Worse Than Cell Phoneby RadiationProtection17,556 views
- 3:04 How to make money using facebook.by HomeIncomeBusiness114,960 views
- 29 videos Play all How to Use Facebookby mahalodotcom
- 11:32 RON PAUL Exploding / V FOR VICTORY / RESISTANCE IS VICTORYby FreeinTX21,172 views
- 12:24 Long Distance Relationships/Online Dating - My Storyby Krystyne Josepher5,067 views
- 2:48 Actor Danny Bonaduce meets critic Mark Diceby TheResistance456,407 views
- 9:50 Reasons to delete people off your Facebook friends list. Answer #196 - InYaChestby inyachest950 views
- 7:02 Mark Dice Calls Oliver North's Voice Mail at the Fox News Channelby TheResistance9,114 views
- 36:29 EXPOSED: Satanism in the Industry (Music, Hollywood, Illuminati, NWO)by scrawny2brawny5,991,291 views
- 2:28 William Shatner's Steps to Facebook Unfriending Recoveryby hinkmond6,175 views
- 10:05 Funny Animal Compilation: Best Of Petsamiby Petsami337,094 views
- 3:47 Mark Dice: Boycott the Super Bowl, read a book instead of watching it.by Mark Dice38,450 views
- 4:03 This Party Took a Turn for the Douche (Official Video) by Garfunkel and Oatesby rikilind1,957,507 views
- 2:16 Facebook - Why you should delete your friends - Thinkbigbebig Entrepreneursby Thinkbigbebig Entrepreneurs196,157 views