This video is unavailable.
Ron Paul's Texas Straight Talk 12/31/12: New Year's Message to Congress: Follow the Constitution!
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Dec 30, 2012
New Year's Resolutions for Congress
by Ron Paul
As I prepare to retire from Congress, I'd like to suggest a few New Year's resolutions for my colleagues to consider. For the sake of liberty, peace, and prosperity I certainly hope more members of Congress consider the strict libertarian constitutional approach to government in 2013.
In just a few days, Congress will solemnly swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against ALL enemies, foreign and domestic. They should reread Article 1 Section 8 and the Bill of Rights before taking such a serious oath. Most legislation violates key provisions of the Constitution in very basic ways, and if members can't bring themselves to say no in the face of pressure from special interests, they have broken trust with their constituents and violated their oaths. Congress does not exist to serve special interests, it exists to protect the rule of law.
I also urge my colleagues to end unconstitutional wars overseas. Stop the drone strikes; stop the covert activities and meddling in the internal affairs of other nations. Strive to observe "good faith and justice towards all Nations" as George Washington admonished. We are only making more enemies, wasting lives, and bankrupting ourselves with the neoconservative, interventionist mindset that endorses pre-emptive war that now dominates both parties.
All foreign aid should end because it is blatantly unconstitutional. While it may be a relatively small part of our federal budget, for many countries it is a large part of theirs--and it creates perverse incentives for both our friends and enemies. There is no way members of Congress can know or understand the political, economic, legal, and social realities in the many nations to which they send taxpayer dollars.
Congress needs to stop accumulating more debt. US debt, monetized by the Federal Reserve, is the true threat to our national security. Revisiting the parameters of Article 1 Section 8 would be a good start.
Congress should resolve to respect personal liberty and free markets. Learn more about the free market and how it regulates commerce and produces greater prosperity better than any legislation or regulation. Understand that economic freedom IS freedom. Resolve not to get in the way of voluntary contracts between consenting adults. Stop bailing out failed yet politically connected companies and industries. Stop forcing people to engage in commerce when they don't want to, and stop prohibiting them from buying and selling when they do want to. Stop trying to legislate your ideas of fairness. Protect property rights. Protect the individual. That is enough.
There are many more resolutions I would like to see my colleagues in Congress adopt, but respect for the Constitution and the oath of office should be at the core of everything members of Congress do in 2013.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:55:16 Murray Rothbard: The Civil War and Its Legacy (American Economy Lecture #1)by minnesotachris 12,777 views
- 4:33 Ron Paul's Texas Straight Talk 12/17/12: Right-to-Work is Part of Economic Libertyby minnesotachris 908 views
- 4:46 Ron Paul's Texas Straight Talk 4/8/13: Homeschooling: The Future of Libertyby minnesotachris 7,927 views
- 5:00 Ron Paul's Texas Straight Talk 3/18/13: The Congressional Budget Debate Is Just a Sideshowby minnesotachris 1,289 views
- 1:40:50 Know Your Constitution - Carl Miller Part 1 of 3by JoelAkira 15,073 views
- 13:42 Ron Paul: NSA Whistleblower Snowden in a 'Hero'by NewsmaxTV 10,528 views
- 2:23 Ron Paul Blasts NSA Defenders On Piers Morgan: 'You're Justifying Dictatorship!'by PlanetEarthAwakens01 43,082 views
- 1:22 ISON gets BIGGERby wowforreeel 16,477 views
- 31:05 Screw the Skewby wortheffort 36,336 views
- 59:02 Megacities - Cities on the Edgeby sscgeog 9,509 views
- 8:41 Ajanta Caves Ancient Aliens Technologyby benemund3 14,528 views
- 6:55 CNBC Marc Faber _Global Crash Coming_.by TVEconomy 203 views
- 9:18 Understanding the Fiscal Cliffby SkylerLehto 857 views
- 5:50 Bill O'Reilly vs Ron Paulby Daniel Stebbins 78 views
- 5:05 Ron Paul: Obama Should Send Snowden a Thank You Note - We're Getting Transparency He Promisedby OnlyWaxing 18,366 views
- 4:41 Ron Paul: I'm worried that the government might kill Edward Snowden with a droneby martysoffice 7,656 views
- 1:29 Forensic Evidence - Spaceship Extracting Energy From Our Sunby ForensicObserver 545 views
- 3:35 Ron Paul and the Idiocy of the 'Fiscal Cliff' debateby Andere Perspektive 1,037 views
- 3:02 First 'Alien Earth' Exoplanet Could Be Discovered In 2013 By Kepler Telescopeby Paulie G 6,262 views
- 1:24 Ron Paul Makes Mitt Romney Look Stupidby TheLiberalPacifist 1,439,332 views
- Loading more suggestions...