Bring Your Own Doc : Sundance 2013 Special Pt.1: Anita, A River Changes Course & Which Way Is The Front Line From Here?
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jan 31, 2013
The first Sundance Fest episode kicks off with Ondi talking to Anita filmmakers Freida Lee Mock and Lili Haydn. The movie is the long-awaited account of the life of sexual harassment lightning rod, Anita Hill.
Kalyanee Mam comes to discuss her doc about the lives of Cambodian people along the Tonle Sap river, A River Changes Course.
We also profile Which Way is the Front Line, the new wartime doc in honor of filmmaker, Tim Hetherington, by the makers of RESTREPO.
FILM AND FILMMAKER INFO:
Freida Lee Mock is an Academy Award-winning filmmaker, a director, producer, and writer whose award-winning films include "G-Dog," "Sing!" (Academy Award® nominee, Best Documentary Short Film, 2002), "Maya Lin: A Strong Clear Vision" (Academy Award Winner, Best Feature Documentary Film, 1995; Directors Guild of America Award nominee 1995), "Never Give Up: The 20th Century Odyssey of Herbert Zipper," (Academy Award Nominee, Best Documentary Short Film, l996), "Rose Kennedy: A Life To Remember," (Academy Award Nominee, Best Documentary Short Film, l99l), "Lillian Gish: The Actor's Life for Me," (Prime-time Emmy Winner for Outstanding Informational Special, l989). "To Live Or Let Die,"explores the moral and ethical issues involved in the care of very ill newborn babies (lead program for the PBS series In Matters of Life and Death (Academy Award nominee, Best Documentary Short Film).
Lili Haydn has released four critically acclaimed major label recordings as a solo artist. Lili (1997 Atlantic Records), Light Blue Sun (2003 BMG Music), Goodbye Stranger Ep (2007 Nettwerk Music Group), and Place Between Places (2008 Nettwerk Music Group). She has played with, sung with, and opened for everyone from Roger Waters, Herbie Hancock, Sting, Jimmy Page and Robert Plant, the Los Angeles Philharmonic, Josh Groban, Seal, Matchbox 20, Cyndi Lauper, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, and George Clinton's P-Funk All Stars to name a few. Both as a solo artist and as support, Lili has performed in premiere concert halls such as Carnegie Hall, the Vienna Opera House and the Hollywood Bowl.
Kalyanee Mam was born in Battambang, Cambodia during the Khmer Rouge Regime. In 1979, she and her family fled the refugee camps at the Thai-Cambodian border and eventually immigrated to the United States. After graduating from UCLA Law School, she worked as a legal consultant in Mozambique and Iraq. In Mozambique, she discovered a passion for photography. In Iraq, she discovered a passion for advocacy on important contemporary issues. These two passions enabled her to direct, produce, and shoot her first documentary short Between Earth & Sky (co-director David Mendez) about Iraqi refugees. And also led her to work as Cinematographer, Associate Producer, and Researcher on the Oscar-winning documentary, Inside Job with director Charles Ferguson.
Dir: Sebastian Junger
New York--based writer and journalist Sebastian Junger first ventured into film with the documentary Restrepo, which he shot and directed with colleague Tim Hetherington. The film won the 2010 Sundance Grand Jury Prize for best documentary and was nominated for an Academy Award. Junger's accompanying book, War, spent more than a month on the New York Times best-seller list; his other books include The Perfect Storm, Fire, and A Death in Belmont. As a contributing editor for Vanity Fair, Junger has reported from war zones across the world.
Producer James Brabazon
James Brabazon is an award-winning frontline journalist and documentary filmmaker. Based in London, he has travelled in over seventy countries, investigating, filming and directing in the world's most hostile environments. His awards include the Rory Peck Trust Sony International Impact Award 2003, the Rory Peck Freelancer's choice Award 2003, and the IDA Courage Under Fire Award 2004. He has made over thirty international current affairs films broadcast by the BBC, Channel 4, CNN, SABC and the Discovery Channel. He lectures on the ethics and practicalities of reporting from war zones and his writing has been published in the Observer, the Independent and the Guardian.
00:01 Welcome to Sundance 2013.
00:50 Freida Lee Mock and Lila Haydn of ANITA.
18:03 ANITA, clip.
19:34 A River Changes Course, Clip.
21:25 Kalyanee Mam, of A River Changes Course.
22:50 Kalyanee's experience at year zero under the Khmer Rouge.
40:06 A River Changes Course, Clip.
42:48 Which Way Is The Front Line From Here, Clip.
43:50 Sebastian Junger and James Brabazon of "Which Way Is The Front Line From Here."
45:40 A profound friendship with Tim Hetherington
59:59 "Which Way Is The Front Line From Here," Clip.
Next in Bring Your Own Doc: Season 4
- 48:07 Sundance 2013 Special Ep.3: When I Walk, Running From Crazy, After Tillerby TheLipTV1,590 views
- 1:10:49 Sundance Special Ep. 4: God Loves Uganda, Salma, The Summit, Sound City, Who is Dayani Cristal?by TheLipTV1,704 views
- 1:15:06 Everyday Sunshine with Fishbone and Filmmakers Lev Anderson and Chris Metzlerby TheLipTV7,529 views
- 1:54:32 Tour around Cambodia via Youtube Khmer Aryile 2by Rath Wee11,157 views
- 9:22 GIANT SEA MONSTER FOUND DEAD IN KHMER KROM CAMBODIA? NOVEMBER 21, 2013 (EXPLAINED)by GabeHashTV79,408 views
- 11:19 In Washington, Film Festival Looks at Environment, Globalization (Cambodia news in Khmer)by voakhmerservice23,354 views
- 20 videos Play all 2013 Festival Trailersby sfgreenfilmfest
- 1:38:49 Tour around Cambodia via Youtube Khat Sterng Trangby Rath Wee56,601 views
- 59:54 'A River Changes Course' Q&A with Director Kalyanee Mamby USC ORL444 views
- 44:52 Cambodia 2013, Srok Samiki Meanjey of Kompong Chhang - Miss Phky Chan + 4 Seasons Productionby Skongutube Khmer33,790 views
- 38:13 CPP Government React To CNRP Demonstration (24 Oct. 2013)by TeukTnotChou7,647 views
- 10:50 DIBUJO Y PINTURA 14 "Cómo tomar apuntes de Modelo"by daverosales19857,076 views
- 12:37 Khmer News 25.09.2012 King Sihamoni visit Vietnam + King Norodom Sihanoukby TeukTnotChou6,841 views
- 3:22 Khmer Krom leader Thach Setha, issues an appeal to King Norodom Sihamoniby Jendhamuni Sos6,568 views
- 3:27:55 History of Cambodia #6 (Khmer) Endby PromMukbuon10,899 views
- 6:55 Before Water Canons, a Clash With a Police Chief (Cambodia news in Khmer)by voakhmerservice137,776 views
- 55:10 HM King Norodom Sihamoni and HRH Queen-Mother Norodom Monineath Prayer Ceremonyby khmersunny3,973 views
- 57:01 Oscar Nominated Doc, FIVE BROKEN CAMERAS w/ Co-Dir. Guy Davidiby TheLipTV2,386 views
- 5:51 Bun Phailin sing at Khmer Melbourne New Year 2013 2by Cambodia Stars150,742 views