WFIL-TV 6 Action News theme 1970
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jan 6, 2010
Yes, here it is: the forgotten theme used by Channel 6 before the current legendary "Move Closer To Your World" Action News theme that we all know (previously uploaded by TechnerVideo). Thanks to my friend Tom Parker for sharing this. This theme ran from April 6, 1970, when Action News debuted, until mid-1972 when Mel Kampmann brought the Move Closer theme with him from WNAC-TV in Boston.
YouTube viewers note that It ran on many stations owned by Triangle Publications and Gateway Communications, including WSTM-3 Syracuse, NY; KTSP-5 Minneapolis-St. Paul; WNBF-12 Binghamton, NY; WLYH-15 Lebanon, PA; WWL-4 New Orleans; KTLA-5 Los Angeles; WTNH-8 New Haven, CT; WOWK-13 Huntington - Charleston, WV; WNAC-7 Providence and WFBG-10 (WTAJ) Altoona, PA.
This theme was written by Temple University student Tom Sellers. Triangle Communications paid Sellers $75 for the work. Triangle sold the station to Capital Cities and the call letters became WPVI on April 27, 1971.
Sellers was a member of the Gulliver band from the Philadelphia area. This band included Hall & Oates. The band was formed by Hall, Tim Moore and Jim Helmer. They formed at Temple University and released one self-titled LP in 1969 for Elektra Records, before being joined by Oates, although they broke up before Oakes could cut any songs with them. (The Great Rock Discography, by Martin Charles Strong, pg. 920).
Tragically, Sellers died in a fire at Exton, Pa. "Died in a fire in March 1988 when a TV blew up (it was OFF) in his parents guest bedroom where he was staying the night." Tom produced 2 Arista albums for Eric Andersen. He also arranged the Tavares "Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel" for Freddie Perrin (this information about Sellers is from musican David Kearney's website).
Side B of this 45 record has a blank white label and nothing recorded on it. The deadwax has "WFIL ACTION 1" and also the initials "Lw" in cursive.
TechnerVideo subscriber William Brown informs us that "Lw" were initials for the Longwear Stamper Co. and the label copy typesetting was by Keystone Printed Specialties Co., Inc., in Scranton, PA. Keystone handled these duties for the Specialty Records Corp. plant in Olyphant, PA through 1971, and for Capitol Records' Scranton, PA plant from the 1940's (before Capitol bought the plant) until 1971.
Standard YouTube License
- 21:47 WFIL 56 & WIBG 99 Philadelphia - 1970-1983by Ellis Feaster3,385 views
- 2:40 Attack Warning Radio Message: Early 1970sby CONELRAD640124040,612 views
- 9:45 WFIL Airchecks 1980 - 1981by TechnerVideo4,967 views
- 25:20 WPVI-TV news opensby T.L. Hughes261 views
- 1:17 John Lennon WFILby Beatle Bob12,734 views
- 31:38 KOVR Action News - 1975by KLXT7720,829 views
- 136 videos Play all Retro Philly 1by stevephil10
- 10:19 WCAU-TV Jim O'Brien Rememberedby DigitalMediaArchive10,905 views
- 2:35 KTLA News Opens from the Last 60 Yearsby onetruepatriot28,915 views
- 5:52 Death of Channel 6's Jim O'Brien - 9/25/83 6 PM Reportby yougotsanford94,630 views
- 29:18 A Tribute to Jim O'Brien - WPVI 1983 Prime Time Specialby yougotsanford3,937 views
- 2:22 Strange Monster Caught On Film: Channel 68 Action Newsby BeanMeister22245,325 views
- 31:16 KXAS Action News - Nov. 21, 1979by 91Bear8,254 views
- 18:11 Philadelphia Oldies Radio WSNI WPGR WFIL Aircheck 1983by Ellis Feaster3,105 views
- 7:12 WFIL TV News 0958.wmvby JSF08642,974 views
- 8:28 WTVH-TV "Part of Your Life" 1977by VintageTelevision5,661 views
- 3:21 Dave Roberts & Lisa Thomas-Laury Remembers Jim O'Brienby yougotsanford24,136 views
- 8:12 1/6/96 Predicted Snow WCAU Promos+Weather Clipsby phillyvideofan9,182 views
- 6:45 WPVI-TV 6ABC Philadelphia - Jim Gardner Pays Tribute To Rob Jennings - July 26, 2013 [HD]by ThatGuyInPhilly4,025 views
- 9:20 WPVI Action News 6ABC Philadelphia - Dave Roberts Signing off for the final time - (12.11.09)by ThatGuyInPhilly11,464 views