Bus 52 Presents: Life's Kitchen
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Sep 4, 2012
In Boise, Idaho, young adults who have dropped out of high school have the chance to get their lives back on track in an unusual way: by learning how to work in a commercial kitchen.
Life's Kitchen was the brain child of Rory Farrow, a restauranteur in Boise. "She was finding that her entry level employees weren't performing to the level of her expectations so Rory took the time to go back into the kitchen, roll up her sleeves and teach these young people how to be good employees under her guide," explains the Executive Director of Life's Kitchen, Kurt Alderman.
As she got to know these young employees, she also saw that they were often struggling to live on their own, unsure of how to spend their money wisely and pay their taxes.
"So, she started to spend that time teaching them how to live outside of her kitchen and she decided that maybe there's a way that we can help a group of young people in the Valley to live on their own."
The idea grew from that first spark in the mid-nineties to become Life's Kitchen, which was founded in 2003 and now helps around 55 to 60 young adults a year in the Boise area, at no or little charge to the students.
Alderman explains that they're "working with 16 to 20 year olds who have found themselves out of school and are unable to live on their own. And we're teaching this kids how to get jobs in the food-service industry but we're really teaching kids how to live on their own."
For some, the idea of kitchen skills might not go hand-in-hand with life skills, however, Life's Kitchen hits the balance perfectly. The kitchen side provides the students with an intensive initiation into the world of the food-service industry and teaches them everything they need to know to be able to continue in a job.
Read more... http://bus52.com/profiles/lifes-kitchen/
To learn more about Life's Kitchen and to see the café opening hours, please visit their website (http://www.lifeskitchen.org/), Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lifes-...), or Twitter feed (https://twitter.com/LifesKitchen).
Standard YouTube License
- 4:51 Bus 52 Presents: Leonardo's Basementby Bus52videos756 views
- 3:46 Bus 52 Presents: Lubbock Challenger Little Leagueby Bus52videos1,380 views
- 4:21 Bus 52 Presents: Knitting Behind Barsby Bus52videos7,541 views
- 3:49 Bus 52 Presents: Alabama Blues Projectby Bus52videos663 views
- 8:27 How To Live Like A Millionaire—with America's Cheapest Familyby MavinOfSavin52,394 views
- 9:59 Food industry The Ultimate Secrets Exposed...Part 1 of 2 - NWO - Plans Eliteby ICTer4life5,459 views
- 7:05 Teaching Kids About Money - America's Cheapest Familyby MavinOfSavin25,017 views
- 14:55 Credit Card Debt consolidation information, How to get out of credit card debtby Mr Need to know22,475 views
- 34:17 Service Learning, Critical Thinking, and Food Awarenessby Gregory B. Sadler223 views
- 14:37 Day in the Life: Kitchen Mobility - Magee Rehabilitation Hospitalby Magee Rehab16,046 views
- 3:18 ID21 Awards Grand Prize Winner: Life's Kitchenby id21idaho191 views
- 1:59 Success on the menu: Life's Kitchen food truck serves up chefs of the futureby fox9now310 views
- 8:12 Boise Idaho Relocation Teamby Kevin Koepnick8,429 views
- 5:30 Betty Crocker Kitchen Assistant high resby TomorrowFromToday1,257 views
- 5:10 The Kitchen Helperby ClintTV981 views
- 2:25 Drought hits farmers, food prices soonby CNN3,885 views
- 4:10 Talking Money With Elmoby The New York Times20,573 views
- 3:39 The Kitchen Bus Goes to Olympiaby CoffeeCreekCommunity95 views
- 3:05 Good Morning America "Kids Risk Lives For Money" w/ Seth Leachby HitNRunVideos2,006 views
- 6:09 Jake Poore | Disney Customer Serviceby crownspeakersbureau3,377 views
- Loading more suggestions...