Bus 52 Presents: Life's Kitchen
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Sep 4, 2012
In Boise, Idaho, young adults who have dropped out of high school have the chance to get their lives back on track in an unusual way: by learning how to work in a commercial kitchen.
Life's Kitchen was the brain child of Rory Farrow, a restauranteur in Boise. "She was finding that her entry level employees weren't performing to the level of her expectations so Rory took the time to go back into the kitchen, roll up her sleeves and teach these young people how to be good employees under her guide," explains the Executive Director of Life's Kitchen, Kurt Alderman.
As she got to know these young employees, she also saw that they were often struggling to live on their own, unsure of how to spend their money wisely and pay their taxes.
"So, she started to spend that time teaching them how to live outside of her kitchen and she decided that maybe there's a way that we can help a group of young people in the Valley to live on their own."
The idea grew from that first spark in the mid-nineties to become Life's Kitchen, which was founded in 2003 and now helps around 55 to 60 young adults a year in the Boise area, at no or little charge to the students.
Alderman explains that they're "working with 16 to 20 year olds who have found themselves out of school and are unable to live on their own. And we're teaching this kids how to get jobs in the food-service industry but we're really teaching kids how to live on their own."
For some, the idea of kitchen skills might not go hand-in-hand with life skills, however, Life's Kitchen hits the balance perfectly. The kitchen side provides the students with an intensive initiation into the world of the food-service industry and teaches them everything they need to know to be able to continue in a job.
Read more... http://bus52.com/profiles/lifes-kitchen/
To learn more about Life's Kitchen and to see the café opening hours, please visit their website (http://www.lifeskitchen.org/), Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lifes-...), or Twitter feed (https://twitter.com/LifesKitchen).
Standard YouTube License
- 4:51 Bus 52 Presents: Leonardo's Basementby Bus52videos 654 views
- 3:46 Bus 52 Presents: Lubbock Challenger Little Leagueby Bus52videos 1,257 views
- 4:05 Bus 52 Presents: Helping With Horsepowerby Bus 52 836 views
- 4:09 Bus 52 Presents: Face In The Mirrorby Bus52videos 1,359 views
- 7:05 Teaching Kids About Money - America's Cheapest Familyby America's Cheapest Family 23,029 views
- 6:09 Jake Poore | Disney Customer Serviceby crownspeakersbureau 1,631 views
- 2:25 Drought hits farmers, food prices soonby CNN 3,545 views
- 34:17 Service Learning, Critical Thinking, and Food Awarenessby Gregory B. Sadler 150 views
- 5:37 Head Chef (Hotel)by WACareerCentre 661 views
- 5:30 Betty Crocker Kitchen Assistant high resby TomorrowFromToday 1,046 views
- 3:18 ID21 Awards Grand Prize Winner: Life's Kitchenby id21idaho's channel 168 views
- 3:05 Good Morning America "Kids Risk Lives For Money" w/ Seth Leachby HitNRunVideos 1,750 views
- 1:01 National Nutrition Month, 2013 -- Life's Kitchenby uwtvChannel No views
- 1:47 Kids Talk About Money - Vanguardby Vanguard 15,291 views
- 0:54 Bill My Parents,The Money Management Tool for Teensby Richard Jaramillo 473 views
- 1:58 Kitchen Helper - CTHRC - Working in Canadaby WorkinginCanada 8,981 views
- 5:10 The Kitchen Helperby ClintTV 661 views
- 2:22 Teen Money Management - It's Your Money: Financial Flight Schoolby Learning ZoneXpress Videos 6,872 views
- 2:23 How To Save Money By Eliminating 10 Things You Don't Needby Howcast 279,035 views
- 2:03 Metro Express donates washes to Life's Kitchenby Metro Express Car Wash, Idaho 32 views
- Loading more suggestions...