The Milky Way Galaxy
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 27, 2009
http://facebook.com/ScienceReason ... Our Galaxy, The Milky Way - Best of Carl Sagan's Cosmos (Part 4).
Please SUBSCRIBE to Science & Reason:
BEST OF CARL SAGAN'S "COSMOS":
1) 10 Years After: Carl Sagan & Ann Druyan Reflect:
2) Lost Between Immensity And Eternity:
3) The Realm Of The Galaxies:
4) Our Galaxy, The Milky Way:
5) Our Solar System:
6) Eratosthenes And The Round Earth Model:
7) The Library Of Alexandria:
8) A Short History Of The Universe:
9) Artificial And Natural Selection:
10) The Cosmic Year:
11) Tree Of Life - 4 Billion Years Of Evolution:
12) The Miracle Of Life:
13) DNA - The Common Basis Of Life:
14) Abiogenesis The Origin Of Life:
15) Astronomy vs Astrology:
16) Pictures In The Sky:
17) Ancient Astronomy:
18) Triumph Of Modern Science Over Medieval Superstition:
19) The Mysterious Tonguska Event:
The Milky Way Galaxy, commonly referred to as just the Milky Way, or sometimes simply as the Galaxy, is the galaxy in which our Solar System is located. The Milky Way is a barred spiral galaxy that is part of the Local Group of galaxies.
It is one of billions of galaxies in the observable universe. Its name is a translation of the Latin Via Lactea, in turn translated from the Greek Γαλαξίας (Galaxias), referring to the pale band of light formed by stars in the galactic plane as seen from Earth (see etymology of galaxy).
Some sources hold that, strictly speaking, the term Milky Way should refer exclusively to the band of light that the galaxy forms in the night sky, while the galaxy should receive the full name Milky Way Galaxy, or alternatively the Galaxy. However, it is unclear how widespread this convention is, and the term Milky Way is routinely used in either context.
Carl Edward Sagan, Ph.D. (1934-1996) was an American astronomer, astrochemist, author, and highly successful popularizer of astronomy, astrophysics and other natural sciences. He pioneered exobiology and promoted the Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence (SETI).
He is world-famous for writing popular science books and for co-writing and presenting the award-winning 1980 television series "Cosmos: A Personal Voyage", which has been seen by more than 600 million people in over 60 countries, making it the most widely watched PBS program in history.
A book to accompany the program was also published. He also wrote the novel "Contact", the basis for the 1997 Robert Zemecki's film of the same name starring Jodie Foster.
During his lifetime, Sagan published more than 600 scientific papers and popular articles and was author, co-author, or editor of more than 20 books. In his works, he frequently advocated skeptical inquiry, secular humanism, and the scientific method.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:35:49 Inside the Milky Way National Geographic Documentary | HD 720pby DocumentaryPlanetHD377,126 views
- 51:07 Space Documentary - NOVA: Monster of the Milky Wayby Space Vacationers31,235 views
- 44:03 A Journey through The Milky Way (FULL VIDEO)by Sky Faction9,095 views
- 9:28 Earth's motion around the Sun, not as simple as I thoughtby Aryan Navabi786,583 views
- 9:55 Charting The Milky Way Galaxyby Best0fScience59,274 views
- 5:40 The Largest Galaxy in the Universe: IC 1101by Deep Astronomy1,144,067 views
- 3:48 Six Months With a Telescopeby aezakmi79210,907 views
- 2:50 Earth Zoom To The Milky Way Galaxyby FluffMachine389,807 views
- 53:00 StarGaze - Universal Beauty 1080p HDby GodJesusHolySpirit11,375,558 views
- 3:38 Milky Way Time Lapseby fckjulien100071,792 views
- 12 videos Play all Sol and the Milkywayby KingHorusFalcon
- 2:51 OUR GALAXY IS FULL OF LIFE? | Kepler Results | A MUST SEE VIDEO (HD)by DaveandNic4eva20,276 views
- 52:12 Carl Sagan, Stephen Hawking and Arthur C. Clarke - God, The Universe and Everything Else (1988)by TheScienceFoundation777,572 views
- 54:53 The mystery of the Milky Way / Nova HD 1080Pby mavireck100,902 views
- 9:31 Einstein's Relativity: The Famous Equation E=mc2by Best0fScience176,600 views
- 1:00:01 Snowshow(HD)2010by Алексей Малыгин29,871 views
- 6:22 Tour of our galaxy's visible nebulaeby SecularAstronomer129,835 views
- 5:40 Space School- Milky Wayby Science Channel235,923 views
- 3:21 my telescope and saturnby jasonbwashere115,516 views
- 3:17 Plains Milky Wayby dakotalapse621,632 views