Farage: We Don't Want a Global Superpower, Mr President Schulz
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 17, 2012
Make a donation to UKIP: http://www.ukip.org/donations | http://www.ukipmeps.org | http://twitter.com/#!/Nigel_Farage
• European Parliament, Strasbourg, 17 January 2012
• Speaker: Nigel Farage MEP, UKIP leader, Co-President of the EFD Group in the European Parliament (Europe of Freedom and Democracy group)
• Debate: Election of the President of Parliament (MEPs have just elected German social-democrat Martin Schulz with 387 votes out of 670 votes cast.)
• Video: EbS - European Parliament
Well, good morning Mr Schulz, President Schulz. I know it is my job to congratulate you but given that we knew the result two and a half years ago as a result of a stitch-up there does not seem to be much point. After all, no one in Europe, or modern day Europe would dream of having a big powerful job that was decided by a full open process, I am sure Mr Barroso would agree.
I was musing this morning. I was thinking, what kind of President Schulz are we going to get? Are we going to get a dignified, calm - a figure that behaves like the speaker of all great parliaments around the world, someone who puts himself above politics and the nitty gritty of arguments, who is an ambassador, indeed an ambassador.
Or are we going to get the Martin Schulz we have got to know since 2004 and leader of the Socialist group. You know the one I mean - snarling, angry, unable to control his temper, intolerant of anybody with an alternative point of view. Somebody who is contemptuous of free referendums where people have the temerity to vote No. Somebody who is anti-British to his fingertips and does not like free markets.
I was wondering which one we are going to get?
Well, your opening speech has settled that question for me. It is pretty clear we are going to have two and half years of political fanaticism from the chair. And I have to say only a Third World country, only a banana republic would want to have an overtly political president of a parliament but it is what we have got.
I may represent the smallest group in this parliament Mr Schulz, but I can tell you that it's a group whose ideas and views are now being echoed by a growing number of citizens right across this continent. I am sure you'll agree the opinion polls show it's kind of fifty-fifty whether people think this EU is a good thing or a bad thing.
What we represent, sir is not anti-Europeanism - that is not what it's about. We believe in nation state democracy, we want a Europe of trade, we want a Europe of cooperation, we want a Europe that is responsible.
We don't want a Europe that seeks to be a global superpower. We don't want a Europe run by Mr Barroso and the Commission under the so-called Community method. And I'll do my very best to provide political opposition to your presidency over the course of the next two and a half years. I hope you'll give us a fair hearing. Thank you.
EU Member States:
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Germany, Denmark, Estonia, Spain, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden, United Kingdom
Standard YouTube License
- 11:51 'Germany can't play alone against US and China' - ex-chancellorby RT Featured 10,431
- 1:10:39 Traitorous Politicians Who Led us into The European Union - Nigel Farageby Videos From The Underground2,547 views
- 4:54 FARAGE vs MERKELby Edward Davies62,169 views
- 2:26 Martin Schulz makes a fool of himselfby Miroslav Jahoda19,989 views
- 15:00 Bloom is given the Soviet treatment (full version with Farage & 2nd expulsion)by europarl61,412 views
- 15:00 Britain's Only Option: The Great Escape - (video collage)by europarl52,691 views
- 4:25 Stability? Who do you think you're kidding, Mr van Rompuy? - Nigel Farageby UKIP MEPs46,246 views
- 5:08 Who are you Mr President Nigel Farage asks Van Rompuyby headshrinker00723,925 views
- 3:05 The Wrath of Schulz: Nirj Deva stands up for Farageby europarl46,495 views
- 11:00 Farage exposes EU arrogance (puts Sarkozy, Pottering & Schulz in place)by europarl142,119 views
- 5:04 Nigel Farage EURO CRISIS 2013 - Enough is Enough!by NigelFarageFans51,107 views
- 3:22 MEPs defending European democratic valuesby europarl12,563 views
- 8:28 Nigel Farage, exposing Eurocrat annoying nonsense and propaganda.by KnowMoreNoWarNoHate112,699 views
- 9:04 Daniel Hannan - Germany no longer needs Europeby iqsquared91,988 views
- 5:43 Nigel Farage touches quite a few nerves in the EU Parliamentby UndefeatedArmy09361,982 views
- 5:02 ~New Epic Nigel Farage Rant 13 December 2011 - Dutch Sub-titles [sub NigelFarageFans channel]by NigelFarageFans21,722 views
- 5:02 Nigel Farage: On the Titanic towards Economic and Democratic Disasterby europarl114,000 views
- 2:48 Nigel Farage: EU has no legitimacy or consent to take military actionby europarl88,193 views
- 10:36 Respect the Irish Vote: Aftershock in European Parliamentby europarl180,574 views
- 14:50 Farage: We've got to fight back against entrapment of global governmentby europarl19,743 views
- Loading more suggestions...